MSB Select Digital Director and Westminster Lab upgrade dc cables : The throne of MSB Select DAC secured!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The practice of replacing included accessories of hifi components with aftermarket ones is extremely common for audiophiles.

How often are we using the included black colour generic powercords?
How often are we using the icluded wallwart switching psu?
... etc
There are many many more of similar examples.

IMHO we have to take certain risk in our strike for sonic excellence.

However I have 100% confidence in the safety & reliability of these Westminster Lab upgrade dc cables.

Last edited:
Reactions: gleeds

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I find this conversation interesting as I have had a few conversations with Galen of Iconoclast cables reciently. Much of the science of wire manufacturer and geometry he talks about is what I hear mentioned here. It sound like a cable built upon a sound scientific basis. Not a cable with magic sauce. Unless consumers are hiring employees directly, they have no idea how hard it is to find people with the skill and aptitude to assemble a precision product. That employee is a lot of money to train and maintain.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Young Skywalker, I cannot respond regarding MSBs warranty policy but did want to respond on behalf of the factory. I can however offer that Westminster for MSB DC cables were tested by the MSB factory before going into full production and deemed 100% compatible for use with both their Reference and Select DACs.

We use the exact same terminations as MSB (connectors) as to ensure their further compatibility. Our cables are a solid-core design so we advise our customers not to bend the cable (except modestly) near the terminations as this can cause them to lock in place. Otherwise they are quite flexible, easy to work with and have been in use in client systems for some time without issue.

As is WestminsterLab, MSB, is a company known for their dedication to their customers. Given our design has been vetted our friends at MSB, in the event of an issue both firms would work closely to determine the cause and resolve it for the customer in the most expeditious and least disruptive manner possible.

Thanks!
Is there on WestminsterLab horizon also a DC cable for Discrete/Premier models?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Luca, not at the present time but if that changes we will post in this space.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I hope there will be a dc cable for the Select/Ref Transport too, despite that they are discontinued.
;)

Reactions: lscangus

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
I hope there will be a dc cable for the Select/Ref Transport too, despite that they are discontinued.
;)
I think if there are enough interest, we can definatly do one. I am sure Jonathan would be open to share its pin configurations and connectors with us.

It looks like the Select transport shares the same connector with the Discrete/Premier DAC.

Reactions: CKKeung

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
I think if there are enough interest, we can definatly do one. I am sure Jonathan would be open to share its pin configurations and connectors with us.

It looks like the Select transport shares the same connector with the Discrete/Premier DAC.
I'm interested in a pair for my Premier

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
Does this mean your cables are suitable/ready for sale to be used with the discrete?

I had enquired a few months ago and was informed they were for the premier only.

Thankyou

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
Does this mean your cables are suitable/ready for sale to be used with the discrete?

I had enquired a few months ago and was informed they were for the premier only.

Thankyou
No, I was talking about the Select Transport, not the Select DAC. But we will see what we can do in the future. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: gleeds and CKKeung

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
I have had the Select II and the transport for a while now. I don't stream and I spin CDs. Much as i wished and as good as it is, it still cannot match what i hear from my vinyl. Still doesn't quite have the 3 dimensionality, immediacy and the timber of analog. I can only wish these expense DC cords and DD upgrades will get it closer. I have not tried yet.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Ationg, I usually recommend clients try the DC cable upgrade after they install and settle in the addition of the Director, as they say one change at a time. I am hearing very good things about the DD upgrade from our clients. Naturally, we will be happy to send you a set of DC cables to try in your set-up at that time.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
I talked with an MSB dealer this week and he told me that a key selling point of the DD, updated filter algorithms, have not been implemented yet. So I would expect that the sonic benefit would be enhanced down the road, and this is also the main avenue left for MSB to improve their designs, through software update. They have expressed that the actual DAC, clock, and PSU technology don't need much improvement.

My experience with various digital filters in DACs is that really good filters tend to distinguish sounds in time more, which does lead to a more analog feel. The long filters used by Chord, MSB and others can mash things together a bit but are very low noise (compared to EMM and Playback Designs, for instance, or NOS designs). I would expect filter updates would produce a faster and more flowing sound with better transients, maybe the last frontier for MSB.

Edit: In all likelihood filter changes would only apply to PCM sources, and not DSD or SACDs which are a more simple conversion process.

Last edited:

DMSB

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2017
All current MSB DACs (Discrete, Premier, Reference and Select) can actively use the off-board digital processing in the Digital Director. It is selectable via an updated DAC menu option and is signified with a (+) on the DACs display. The DAC firmware that allows this functionality did ship slightly later for the Discrete and Premier than for the Reference and Select but has now been available for several months at this point.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Of the many great dacs that I have heard only a tiny few do a real analog sound to me.
MSB being one of them for sure at axpona the MSB room on there cd transport was amazing to me I felt best digital by a margin. Others come close and yes much cheaper too.
I don’t know your vinyl setup so I can’t say why you hear it this way
but I think something is missing or off on the digital side. great digital is not vinyl but if done well is very musical. can you explain the setup and chain
one thought is volume controls in use
I’m curious

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I do earnestly practise what I advocate.

Here is my box of Westminster Lab dc cables for MSB Select DAC :
IMG_20230416_081228.jpg

My Select Digital Director has arrived too :
IMG_20230710_201246.jpg

Here is my stack of Selects and the Digital Director is underneath my Select Transport :
IMG_20230711_184124.jpg

That's why I never let my wife know my bank account.
::p

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Congrats! How is the sound?

MSB Select with the Westminster Lab dc cables & Select Digital Director is still my favorite digital frontend set, although there is a more expensive competitor in the market now.
;)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
CK, does this mean when I send a piece of gear to a client's local FedEx store instead of theri home it's the same thing:) Clever bunch we audiophiles are, at least I think so?

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I'm interested in a pair for my Premier
I have noted your interest and will keep you posted on availability. Thanks very much for letting us know.

Reactions: lscangus

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Angus kindly lent me a demo pair of the 1.2m Westminster Labs DC cables to audition and they were every bit as good as what others on this thread have heard/reported! My MSB Select II DAC's soundstage reproduction became much more expansive, dynamic, liquid, and natural. The stock 0.6m DC cables were constipated and starved, constraining my system's potential in a major way.

Accordingly, I've placed an order for the 1.2m pair, which allow for more flexibility in component placement and pin plug orientation options. As the cables are quite stiff, I wanted to avoid torquing them excessively in a variety of DAC + power supply placement (vertical, diagonal, and horizontal) configurations.

Given the complexity of the DC cable's construction (internal conductors’ positioning/spin and insulation overlays) there will inevitably be some natural variability in the final connector termination positions (relative to each other), offering potential for some pair-matching via natural selection, but not (I’m guessing) bespoke construction/customization. For buyers contemplating buying the shorter 0.6m pair, I’d advise confirming that all four of the cables’ connectors are oriented “in phase” (as closely as possible) with the DAC and PSs so that torquing can be minimized.

BTW, I've also placed an order for a quadruple-stack of brand-new DAC components. No need to guess what they might be. Why? Of course, the MSB Technology Select II DAC (my second triple-stack set) but this time, with my very first Select Digital Director!

My new home and its dedicated basement listening room won't be ready for at least 18 months, but I'm supremely confident that the MSB "QuadStack" is exactly what I want. Rhymes with my WBF moniker, QuadDiffuser, hehe!

Stock photos sourced from the Internet below, to whet your appetite:

_ANG1162-X1_DC_Carbon (1)_DxO.jpg cd781b_152fb08fda4141bbb6c964e6a72793af~mv2.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing