Multi-bit DSD versus PCM

So far 100% of everyone I've heard who's tried these filters have had positive results. I've had positive results. Measurements show positive results. It also allows me to playback the finest sounding PCM I've heard through my DSD only DAC. Everyone who's heard it so far agrees. This is enough data for me. And for the skeptics, it's a 30 day free trial. If you don't hear a difference, then perfect, it will save you the money of purchasing it. Simply uninstall and go on doing what you were doing before.

Have you tried it yet Amir?

Surely you have seen the saying before, the plural of anecdotes is not data.

Surely you have seen the saying before, the plural of anecdotes is not data.

You should get into manufacturing audio products. Most well balanced humans are perfectly happy when the components produce a nice balance of subjective sound quality, combined with great measured results. For me, that's also what I aim for. If you talk to the engineers that work with the most successful audio companies, they are on the same page. Although you will find many put the subjective aspect before the measured results.

Using filter algorithms, it allows you to get the sound profiles humans prefer subjectively, without putting components in the playback chain that measure poorly, and compromise reliability.

Okay - so Bruce very kindly sent me a bunch of tracks as planned. Now the interesting experiment was round one listening to dsd 64. Bruce sent me 5 recordings all in dsd 64 of the same track but recorded using his range of AD converters. I had no idea what I was listening to in terms of gear. Result - I preferred the Merging Horus out of the 5 under blind conditions so this n=1 experiment convinces me the the Merging is the leader of the pack. What surprised me was my dislike for the Grimm - it was the only one that I did not like - sounded flat and a bit dry to me - came last. I would have chosen the Tascam ahead of it so that is saying something. Next fave was Emm Labs and then the Korg.

Now if I had to quantify how much better the Horus was than the field - I would say ~10% better than the others (possibly higher versus Grimm). The key new information for me though - would I put the Horus advantage akin to a cartridge upgrade or tonearm upgrade or phono stage upgrade? No - the level of difference when improving these parts of the chain are more significant IMHO. Therefore back to my question if you have $10k and a Tascam - do you upgrade to Horus or upgrade my vinyl rig - I would without question upgrade vinyl rig even though the Horus saw off my Tascam because I believe the file created will be better influenced by the source.f

Most interesting Bill, I have the Merging+NADAC on my digital upgrade short list.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing