Munich HighEnd 2024

Update from day two.

A few nice things caught my attention. To begin, the karma speakers and associated electronics and cables were very good. Musical sounding, and formidable.

I'm glad you got to hear this. Kharma is David Karmeli's favorite contemporary production big cone speaker.

I think this room has one of Greg Beron's tape machines.
Has anyone ever heard bad sound at a Von Scweikert/ VAC room?
Nope!

Gary Leeds is now a Von Schweikert ambassador ( if that’s the appropriate term?) I watched Gary interact with a potential Japanese distributor and it was like watching a Masterclass of salesmanship.

Gary is indeed amazing!
A surprise to me was that the big Cessaro horns sounded pretty good, even with my bias that horns are not my first choice for strings and piano (the wood resonance deficiency for both is a liability IMHO). But I must admit this was the best big horn I heard at the show. I think a lot of that was due to the Doehmann, Helix II turntable with a Supatrack arm, an Air Tight cartridge and the splendid Aleno tube electronics.

View attachment 130613

Oh, I am very glad you heard this as well! You'd be more impressed if you heard it with Trafomatic Elysiums!

The Alieno preamp is wonderful!

OK I declare these to be good, as in I am quite impressed after hearing a load of different tracks on them.
The big Clarisys Auditoriums also are in Hi-Fi Deluxe, I believe.

I m trying some well proven sound enhancers .
After listening to UBIQ AUDIO on willson XVX and DCS Apex .

My mind hasnt changed .

Neither Wilson nor DCS is Apex .
The XVX smears the sound ,overpriced imv.

Besr sound at hifideluxe imv.

First CAT clarysis.
Second NAF stenheim. / FM acoustics
It's quite surprising NAF is driving Stenheim so well. What NAF is it - I like NAF amps they are both musical and neutral. You are also listening to the Vyger in that system I gather?

It's quite surprising NAF is driving Stenheim so well. What NAF is it - I like NAF amps they are both musical and neutral. You are also listening to the Vyger in that system I gather?
I need to go back and check , i listened to digital and tape .
The Vyger tonearm they forgot in Italy
It ll be in munchen playing tomorrow they said

To begin, it blew my mind that somebody is offering this piece of crap for 4M. No idea who makes it and I don’t care. It was a sonic abomination and just horrifying.

View attachment 130493

It's only US$1.2 million without the fancy paint.

Reactions: bonzo75
Why, when he can visit Chris so easily and listen to it properly set up
Because Marty is not going to make a random trip to Texas just to visit Chris.

@marty
Why not stick around and catch a show? Long flight to rush home.

How is the Kharma room and system. I see they built a room in a room. It looked nice. The audiophile junkie video didn't sound good. And I wish Jason would get a microphone so you can hear the guest answer queations. As usual hes asking about drivers and paint but you can't hear a word the guest says so I have to move on.

Jays Audiolab video of Gryphon and their TT was well produced. Did anyone see the table in person or hear the room?

Reactions: AudioHR
Update from day two.

A few nice things caught my attention. To begin, the karma speakers and associated electronics and cables were very good. Musical sounding, and formidable.

View attachment 130552

Has anyone ever heard bad sound at a Von Scweikert/ VAC room? This was no exception. Good sound because, above all it was musical. Piano reproduction was very good on the VR-55 SE. As some of you may know, Gary Leeds is now a Von Schweikert ambassador ( if that’s the appropriate term?) I watched Gary interact with a potential Japanese distributor and it was like watching a Masterclass of salesmanship. I told Gary he could sell the fkn Brooklyn Bridge, to which Kevin Hayes, not missing a beat chimed in and looked at Damon and said “ don’t we already own the Brooklyn bridge?”

View attachment 130555

A surprise to me was that the big Cessaro horns sounded pretty good, even with my bias that horns are not my first choice for strings and piano (the wood resonance deficiency for both is a liability IMHO). But I must admit this was the best big horn I heard at the show. I think a lot of that was due to the Doehmann, Helix II turntable with a Supatrack arm, an Air Tight cartridge and the splendid Aleno tube electronics.

View attachment 130613

View attachment 130615
View attachment 130560

I returned to the Lorenzo room ( you need a treasure hunt map to find it) and saw the room was now graced with a SAT TT and arm. This took the sound to an even higher level than I heard yesterday. Missa Criola was outstanding as was Belafonte at Carnegie and Mutter’s Carmen fantasy. This is what violin reproduction is supposed to sound like (because it sounds quite like the real thing!). Then I asked them to play Satchmo’s St. James Infirmary (which hardly sounded like the monstrosity I heard at Ares Cerat earlier today). People spontaneously applauded after each piece. When that happens, you know your’re at a different level; more like a show than an audio show. And all this in a not great room at MOC. Beautiful sound. Have I mentioned the woodwork of the cabinets?

View attachment 130586

That’s about it for now. Will continue to hunt for more good sound.

Thanks for your updates, Marty, much appreciated.

"Has anyone ever heard bad sound at a Von Scweikert/ VAC room? This was no exception."

I did, at AXPONA 2017. But then, most sound at that show was bad, with a few noteworthy exceptions. Drawing conclusions from bad sound at a show makes no sense, since so much can go wrong, so I didn't either about that room. Just wanting to set the record straight -- no exhibitor is infallible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing