My Hybrid System

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
IMG_0032..jpg IMG_0680..jpg IMG_0795..jpg IMG_0681..jpg View attachment 1372 View attachment 1373 View attachment 1374 View attachment 1375 Speakers: Martin Logan Summits (woofers disconnected)
Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels (modified)
Martin Logan Logos (center channel)
Gallo Nucleus Micros (4) rear channels
Gallo Nucleus Micros (2) upper side channels
Spica TC-50 (2) lower side channels
Eminent Technology TRW-17 rotary woofer

Preamp: Mark Levinson 380S (controls Magneplanar bass panels
Poweramp: Audio Research D400MKII (powers Magneplanar bass panels)
Eminent Tecnology Rotary Woofer Controller

Reciever: Arcam AVR600 (powers all speakers except bass panels)

Projector: Barco Graphics 808 CRT

Sources: PS Audio Perfectwave Dac and Transport
Oppo BDP-83 SE Blueray Player
Lexicon RT-10 Disc Player
Pioneer Elite LD-S2 Laser Player

Room: 29.3' long x 19.4' wide x 11' high cathedral ceiling
Acoustics: ASC tube traps: (4) 20" full round bass traps
(8) 16" full round bass traps
(9) 16" half round bass traps
(16) 8" half round mid bass traps

Control : sand filled equipment cabinet mounted on separate
Room concrete foundation

Accessories: Velodyne SMS-1 subwoofer management
Carver Research Lightstar power amp (spare)[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Last edited:

zepherman

Jun 25, 2010
The Sunny Southwest
OK, I am stomped :). What is that blower doing?

It's an Eminent Technology TRW-17 Rotary Woofer. This is supposedly a very powerful type of subwoofer system. Although it's not exactly cheap (approx. $20k+ installed), it's among the best subwoofer systems out there. Here's some info on how a Rotary Woofer works.

Seth

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, I had heard about them but never seen a picture of one. Curious how well it works in practice.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
i sure can.I had motion sickness for hours after I heard the TRW. In fact I heard it set up by Thigpen himself at one of our BAAS meetings many years ago. I was sitting in the rear left corner and could virtually feel the house move. Our guest Tony ended up with 2 of them in his house. The room was underground but yet when he played, his neighbors on either side thought there was an earthquake

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
One does not need to set the rotary woofer at such high levels to appreciate the effects of this subwoofer. I have had the rotary subwoofer for over two years and never needed to play at such crazy levels to get the benefits of this design. I spoke to Bruce Thigpen about this and told him that I use the rotary subwoofer at lower levels and enjoyed the added realism it gave to music and sound effects. I am into quality not quantity in reproducing music and the many sound effects. A true guide to a quality sound system is being able to listen at a lower listening level and still get a realistic presentation. I have had many people over to experience the rotary woofer and they all said that the listening level that I use is comfortable, but still exciting. Using two rotary woofers is not necessary unless one's room is extremely large and capable of handling the full output. It is the very low distortion and stupendous transient response that I find so very appealing.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the feedback guys. It would make for a nice topic in the subwoofer section! Bwraudio, do you mind creating a thread and sharing your experience and picture there?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have heard the Acapella at hi fi shows and get that same feeling in the pit of my stomach. I can tell when I am approaching thier room before I see their sign.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I haven't seen Tony on the boards in a long time. I think his Thigpen roatary woofers de-rezzed him.

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011
Hi , very nice system .

How is the Eminent Tech woofer , i have read so much about it and your the first i have seen who has one .

Edit , i was a bit too excited when i read the first post .

No need to answer now and i see your liking it .

Rob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing