My monitor/subwoofer system

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, redbook is still getting there for most, including you and I. It has arrived for at least one player, the Spectral SDR-4000SV which I had in here, and which sounds like no other in that line, a line that none of us ever liked. I will say again, when the recording is great - like any Chesky - it sounds absolutely like the best analog I have heard, and that's a big statement.

Sure, Ack, neither of us said that the Yggy sounds like the *best* analog. I was just reacting to what you said in response to hearing my system, that Redbook can sound like analog.

Having said that, I still find HDCD to be superior to any redbook recording, and the Janaki Trio Debut is a perfect example of this: just beautiful string tone out of digital, from this Alpha DAC and the 4000SV... but that's another discussion. Given all this, I feel the more fundamental problem with digital is how it's produced, and that is in fact a MAJOR problem, and we have a lot of work to do over there.

You were very surprised though just how good the Janaki Trio Debut sounded on the Yggy, which does not decode HDCD but plays it as a Redbook CD. And this is probably mostly due to the great production of the recording, which otherwise can be a major problem with digital as you say (as it can be with vinyl too, in other ways). And aren't Chesky CDs Redbook?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Tasos, I have to agree...HDCD is to my ears a step up over all of the redbook recordings that I have ever heard. My old (but still quite analog sounding, according to many who have heard it) digital system, that can playback HDCD is still highly musical...and in some ways can still compete with some of the best digital out there. Once that HDCD light comes in on my DAC, I know it’s going to sound great.

+1. I have a Take Five redbook and another one HDCD, both Columbia, none marked specially, and the HDCD stands out easily; but the production isn't great, so they don't really sound like LP.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Sure, Ack, neither of us said that the Yggy sounds like the *best* analog. I was just reacting to what you said in response to hearing my system, that Redbook can sound like analog.

You were very surprised though just how good the Janaki Trio Debut sounded on the Yggy, which does not decode HDCD but plays it as a Redbook CD. And this is probably mostly due to the great production of the recording, which otherwise can be a major problem with digital as you say (as it can be with vinyl too, in other ways). And aren't Chesky CDs Redbook?

44.1 or 88.2 version?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Once that HDCD light comes in on my DAC, I know it’s going to sound great.

Not necessarily. I have heard an HDCD in my system where the timbre was weird, and one that was mediocre in sound. That was when I still listened with the Berkeley DAC which decodes HDCD. The production/mastering is more important than the format (as long as it's not mp3 ;)).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Tasos, I have to agree...HDCD is to my ears a step up over all of the redbook recordings that I have ever heard. My old (but still quite analog sounding, according to many who have heard it) digital system, that can playback HDCD is still highly musical...and in some ways can still compete with some of the best digital out there. Once that HDCD light comes in on my DAC, I know it’s going to sound great.

Interesting. HDCD just packs some extra bits - they claim 20 bits of data - in a non standard pseudo-compatible way ( an HDCD recording played in HDCD or non HDCD sounds different). Wouldn't it be preferable to listen to the whole 20 bits in an unadulterated 44.1/24 recording?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Not necessarily. I have heard an HDCD in my system where the timbre was weird, and one that was mediocre in sound. That was when I still listened with the Berkeley DAC which decodes HDCD. The production/mastering is more important than the format (as long as it's not mp3 ;)).

I would presume that there are some CDs that aren’t recorded well regardless of how the delivery system is implemented...regular Redbook or HDCD... I just don’t own any of those...I guess?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interesting. HDCD just packs some extra bits - they claim 20 bits of data - in a non standard pseudo-compatible way ( an HDCD recording played in HDCD or non HDCD sounds different). Wouldn't it be preferable to listen to the whole 20 bits in an unadulterated 44.1/24 recording?
My DAC doesn’t allow me to play the non HDCD layer ( or upsample)..I assume there is one..instead, if the recording was done with HDCD that is what you hear. Your question makes sense, but I have no way of knowing.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My DAC doesn’t allow me to play the non HDCD layer ( or upsample)..I assume there is one..instead, if the recording was done with HDCD that is what you hear. Your question makes sense, but I have no way of knowing.

There are no layers in HDCD - although I have one Audioquest CD that was delivered with two disks - one standard and another in HDCD format. HDCD affects the recording in the disk irreversibly - like MQA ... :) About 20 years ago there were similar passionate debates concerning HDCD to the one being carried now about MQA. See, for example, the HDCD Enigma http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/HDCD/Enigma.html

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
There are no layers in HDCD - although I have one Audioquest CD that was delivered with two disks - one standard and another in HDCD format. HDCD affects the recording in the disk irreversibly - like MQA ... :) About 20 years ago there were similar passionate debates concerning HDCD to the one being carried now about MQA. See, for example, the HDCD Enigma http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/HDCD/Enigma.html

Ok, so therefore how does your previous question become valid?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
While I was visiting Peter in Boston Peter took me to visit Ian (MadFloyd). Peter, Ian and I went out for lunch and Al (Al M) was free and joined us. We all went back to Ian’s for some additional listening.

We all had a wonderful time together and, the next day, Peter took me over to Al’s house to listen to Al’s system. Al has a terrific dedicated listening room. Like Peter, Al has spent an endless amount of time and focused attention on fine-tuning the position of his speakers and the position of his subwoofers and the acoustics of his room in general.

448D6908-B2F6-465B-9457-54845420BCCF.jpg

Utilizing a monitor/subwoofer system I found the dynamics of Al’s system to be exemplary. I also found Al’s system to exhibit very impressive soundstaging and very impressive depth. Musical information extended beyond the left side of the left speaker and beyond the right side of the right speaker. Dynamics seemed to be unlimited; even playing an extremely dynamic drum track very loudly I heard no sonic compression. I found the “presence” to be convincing and I found the resolution to be very high.

I think Al’s system is another impressive example of what one can achieve with dogged determination and patience to optimize every element of an audio system. Al exploits the benefits of a dedicated listening room and achieves truly impressive sound.

EB6281B8-958D-4C6D-B1FC-D9376ECC1532.jpg

3D821145-E456-49A9-89A5-C06530C4F4A3.jpg

59F2E992-0C01-4108-9994-8E6B6643CAF8.jpg

Thank you, Al, for demonstrating your system to me. I had a lot of fun with you, and I was delighted finally to meet you in person!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Looks like you had a great trip over visiting with the Boston brigade Ron, some lovingly well set up systems and lovely spaces and homes, lots of good things to see and hear and some fun people to share it with. Nice reporting as always.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thank you, Ron, for your positive report on my system! I really enjoyed meeting you and experiencing your company over two days!

Dynamics and overall liveliness are very important to the thrill and drama I am experiencing from music, and I am glad to hear you found dynamics as impressive as you did. The acoustics of my room had been rather problematic, and I have been working on them for years out of necessity, but also realizing how important they are for the sound of a system (the depth of the soundstage and "presence" of sonic images is also directly related to my work on the acoustics). Finally things are really coming into place after my latest adventure with finding the right rug for the listening area (see thread page 8), and I am not done yet. Just two days ago I received custom-made ceiling diffusers from ASC (based on Tri-Panels) which I still have to install. This will have to wait until I get my new speaker stands from Sound Anchors and finalize the position to the last inch; the ceiling diffusers are designed to cover the speakers' first reflection points on the ceiling, as experienced from the listening position.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well done Al! Another great report from Ron

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Al and Ack!

The ASC Tri-Panels sound interesting, Al. I will look them up.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ron, as far as I know, ASC doesn't have the Tri-Panels in their catalog anymore. Their regular offering is the cinema panel with 2 "reflector strips" for diffusion, the Tri-Panel has 3 such strips for keeping the acoustics lively. My custom panels with also 3 reflector strips each have a steeper slope towards the edges than the old Tri-Panels (five of such 4 x 1 foot panels will be stacked on the ceiling next to each other on both sides between speaker and listener, forming a 5 x 4 foot surface). You can of course get anything you want custom made by them, just like I did.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ah, thank you, Al. I was mistaking Tri-Panels for corner traps.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Looking good, Al

< thumbs up>

Thanks! The system definitely makes me addicted to music. I can't wait to turn it on when coming home from work, and have a hard time turning it off. I find it just exciting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing