My monitor/subwoofer system

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
So Mike, have you ever toyed w my MM7 towers straight on, zero/minimal toe-in?

sure; back when i was moving my listening position around. but i'm very happy how it is. the speaker designer recommends aimed at the tops of your shoulders as a starting point. when he was in my room that is where he had it. mine are now slightly more inside than that. the room does allow for choices in width and depth. and my seating spot is the best balance and fully balanced and filled in panoramic stage.

most immersive sound stage i have heard.

3000 pounds and 7 feet tall twin tower speakers 109 inches from my ears completely disappear. i'm in the near field as tweeter to tweeter it's 115 inches. visitors switch from the sweet spot to the seat behind and the perspective and immersion are different. almost 100% prefer my sweet spot. Lukasz from LampizatOr was just here last week and liked the sweet spot.

the fronts of my speakers are 9 feet, 6 inches into a 29 foot long room. and it's very wide, at 21 feet. so it's not just toe in that is at play. smaller narrower rooms with side walls more in play have to take those into account. room size and live-ness is a big issue on alignment. i can easily slide my towers and change them a few degrees. my friend came and laser aligned them back then both for horizontal and vertical and that was that. they are going no where.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It's funny to me that I run into these comments in Al's thread - in a different context I was just writing about these same sonic characteristics. Some electronics can yield similar, so they are not unique to speaker position.

Not just image outlines but dimensionality is also impacted.

Very good point. Changing electronics can have similar effects as it changes the tonal effects responsible for dimensionality in stereo. I remember a demo carried by Mark Levinson using the Audio Pallete - with a few masterly carried changes in the six controls he could completely change the dimensional perception of the soundstage and realism of the session. He used one of his recordings - the Bach 6 Schubler Chorales CD - and with a few touches we were either in a studio or in the church where the performance was being carried.

Although I got an Audio Palette at that time, today I recognize that I sold it mainly because I could not use it properly - using such tools with efficiency needs a lot of expertise, I noticed that I was not spending time listening to music anymore, most of the time I was tuning the recording to my system. It is even more time consuming than optimizing VTA for each individual LP!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Can you digitize summer sound? What temperatures and humidity ranges are people addressing?
Not sure what you mean by digitize, the sound is very compressed between lower mid and low bass, flat and harsh. For some people it's just bassier sound for me it's distorted. Makes no difference if the source is analog or digital, it's a quality of sound that I hear everywhere during that time.

It's in the 80's to low 90's F and dry here in summers as Mike mentioned but I had the same issue in New York which is quite humid too.
Perhaps it is because I live a block from the ocean, but I do not hear much variation between Summer and Winter sound. The humidity level does change on the coldest days, but the water moderates fluctuations somewhat in both temperature and humidity. I used to live near Al, years ago, and the few miles from the water does indeed affect the weather. Or my system/hearing is not acute enough. I might hear a difference next Summer as my system evolves and my priorities continue to change.

I think that Al was preferring his Summer sound and adjusted his speakers in the Winter to compensate for the lack of humidity. Initially, he was after a tonal shift and increasing "body" which seemed diminished in the Winter compared to the Summer.

Then you're lucky Peter, I have a new grounding scheme in place that I hope will help with the problem, we'll see.
I guess living in a tropical location is out for you then!

Maybe I wasn't aware of it at the time or it might be a 115v issue but while there were other electricity related issues I don't recall this type of problem when I lived in Thailand nor Europe. Certainly Tang's system was in no way sonically compromised in that way.

david

VLS

Mar 7, 2019
Boston, MA
Many speaker manufacturers suggest some degree of toe-in. ... do such manufacturers believe the toed-in sound is the best their speakers offer or do they do it because that's what they think audiophiles want?

Interesting ...

In my case I started out with my speakers aligned with the sidewalls based on received wisdom that this would create the "widest soundstage", but I ended up with the speakers turned in towards the listening position. In my case the impetus was the observation that on many recordings instruments seemed clumped around either speaker position, and this was not sufficiently remedied by moving them closer to each other. I then decided to try the suggestions in Audio Beat's IMHO very useful setup guide (http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/speaker_placement.pdf) and used the LEDR tones on the Nordost tuning disc (https://www.nordost.com/downloads/System Set-Up and Tuning Disc Booklet_LR.pdf) to attain even lateral trajectories. Toeing in turned out to be the answer, and fortuitously, this position also resulted in the most musical, 3D, but non-hifi presentation on real material. Of course, these results are not generalizable as they depend on particular room and speaker dispersion & diffraction characteristics...
Nonetheless, my experience suggests to me that toe-in is unlikely to be just an audiophile "fashion".

Reactions: tima and ack

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not sure what you mean by digitize (...) david

Just meant to give us some factual numbers for temperature and humidity - what some people consider high humidity can be dry for other people - WBF members are spread all over the world.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
My room is most probably partially to blame for this but I have my speakers straight ahead (i.e. no toe in) even though Magico recommends a lot of toe in. It just sounds more natural, less hi-fi to me.

Reactions: PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It rains all year in the UK...

Reactions: Mr Rickz

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
Reactions: Lagonda

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I like my summer sound toed in, but winter is only toed-out. Anything else sounds like pure distortion.

Keith, I can't tell if you are joking. But then, you live near the water in sunny CA where you probably don't get such variation between Summer and Winter. I've never heard of people moving their speakers between a "Summer" and a "Winter" setting. Is it all about tonal shifts? This thread is opening a rather interesting discussion about humidity/temp and sound. Perhaps it deserves it's own thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithR

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
DSC01674_cr.jpg

DSC01687_cr.jpg

Reactions: VLS

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Both pictures in above post are taken from the listening seat. The first picture shows the entire system with the new speaker toe out, the second picture just one speaker. In the latter image it is seen with more photographic accuracy how the speaker seems to face away from the listener, while it actually faces straight forward, parallel to the side wall. The visual effect of the speaker facing away from the listener is more pronounced in this system than in others, since I sit quite close, at 8.5 feet ear to tweeter, and the speakers are relatively far apart from one another.

Perhaps that apparent facing away from the listener prompted Marc's comment:

I can't get past the visuals to start. It just looks wrong.

Yes, it does ;)

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Interesting!

Many years ago I always setup my Mirage bipolar speakers with no toe and enjoyed a very large soundstage and it had a lot of room reflections that made the system sound more like a live music venue.

Now I have horns and more toe, imo it's better for good recordings, resolution is better vs having a lot of reflections. For good recordings you get a better sense of space, much better timbre and fine detail. IMO timbre is one major sacrifice when you have many strong reflections. My current setup also allows one to hear changes easily, which is good for testing.

I'm not sure that the radiation pattern of a speaker or system can be said to be ideal, there are too many great speakers with different patterns and different setups that work. A lot is just preference and also simply what you're used to.

It's almost certain the high end is also rolling off going to zero toe, which can be preferred especially as we get older.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Both pictures in above post are taken from the listening seat. The first picture shows the entire system with the new speaker toe out, the second picture just one speaker. In the latter image it is seen with more photographic accuracy how the speaker seems to face away from the listener, while it actually faces straight forward, parallel to the side wall. The visual effect of the speaker facing away from the listener is more pronounced in this system than in others, since I sit quite close, at 8.5 feet ear to tweeter, and the speakers are relatively far apart from one another.

Perhaps that apparent facing away from the listener prompted Marc's comment:

Yes, it does ;)
I am much interested in your mini monitor/system. We live so far apart. It would be great if you could post a video clip of how the mini monitor with subs could amaze us. I just want to get a sense of the sound presentation of your system. I lived with the Magico Mini II before but never had a sub so I want to know how subs could complete the picture.

Or maybe PeterA could describe which aspects that Al M's system differs from the Magico Mini II without subs.

Kind regards,
Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Interesting!

Many years ago I always setup my Mirage bipolar speakers with no toe and enjoyed a very large soundstage and it had a lot of room reflections that made the system sound more like a live music venue.

Now I have horns and more toe, imo it's better for good recordings, resolution is better vs having a lot of reflections. For good recordings you get a better sense of space, much better timbre and fine detail. IMO timbre is one major sacrifice when you have many strong reflections. My current setup also allows one to hear changes easily, which is good for testing.

I'm not sure that the radiation pattern of a speaker or system can be said to be ideal, there are too many great speakers with different patterns and different setups that work. A lot is just preference and also simply what you're used to.

It's almost certain the high end is also rolling off going to zero toe, which can be preferred especially as we get older.

Strong reflections have indeed deteriorated timbre, and fine detail thereof, in my room for a long time. Following a great deal of room treatment, including choosing the right carpets, installing ceiling diffusers was also essential to minimize HF distortions in my room.

Moving the speakers away from the side walls by 2 inches each further reduced distortions, especially on masses strings. Yet interestingly, toeing out the speakers at that farther position from the sidewalls did not again increase distortion, and hardly affected the high level of timbral micro detail, except on a few recordings where a brighter treble response brings out more detail. But then, I also hear less micro detail live, when the HF response in the venue is slightly muted. I do have ASC diffuser panels at the first side wall reflection points, which probably helps.

Reactions: DaveC

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am much interested in your mini monitor/system. We live so far apart. It would be great if you could post a video clip of how the mini monitor with subs could amaze us. I just want to get a sense of the sound presentation of your system. I lived with the Magico Mini II before but never had a sub so I want to know how subs could complete the picture.

Or maybe PeterA could describe which aspects that Al M's system differs from the Magico Mini II without subs.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tang, thank you for your interest. Posting videos of systems is not what I do, unfortunately. I do not believe that a video can give a good impression of a system's sound. A system needs to be experienced in person. On the other hand, comparative videos of different components, e.g., cartridges, in the same system can be instructive, and I have enjoyed your videos in that respect.

Perhaps Peter can comment on your question.

Reactions: Tango

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Right now I am enjoying a wonderful new solo violin CD that I got today, which has exquisite timbral micro detail. It is by Rachel Barton Pine (Matthew Hagle, piano), and called Blues Dialogues. It is music by black composers, fantastic.

This violinist is sensational. She plays a tremendously varied musical repertoire, and also has made a wonderful recording of the complete Bach violin sonatas and partitas. She was the youngest winner of the International Bach Competition.

Gosh, I'm now at track 6 which is the first one with piano. That sounds great too on this recording.

Reactions: jeff1225 and DaveC

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interesting!

the first investment I ever made in decent speakers were Mirage bipolars. I remember upgrading them, moving up the line to M1s. Which did you have?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Kind regards,
Tang

Hello Tang,

That is an interesting question. Now with Al's suggestion that I comment, I will try to answer it.

I sold my Mini IIs over two years ago so my aural memory may be a bit vague. Al and I have discussed for years the effect of subwoofers with mini monitors. We have different opinions on the subject. I attempted two times to integrate subs in my system with the Mini IIs and was not successful. I owned two JL Audio F110 subs and later tried a REL sub on Al's raised sub platform. Perhaps the problem was my room, or there was simply an incompatibility issue with the integration attempts. I always heard trade offs. Coherence was a problem, and the subs seemed to detract from the clarity of the Mini IIs. One does not read many instances of the Mini II being used successfully with subs. In fact I asked Alon Wolf about getting a pair of Magico Subs for my Mini IIs, and he suggested getting a bigger speaker like my Q3 and selling the MIni II. The gap between the midrange and sub is just too great, IMO, and that of Magico.

Al seems to like a slightly richer sound with a fuller lower midrange/upper bass than I do. I prefer overall clarity and coherence and am willing to sacrifice the lower registers somewhat. I've never really heard a mini/sub system where I don't hear the subs. In some sense, this describes the differences between the sounds of our two systems, both then with the Mini II, and now with the Q3. We have slightly different preferences, even though as one audio buddy mentioned to me the other day, we both use the BSO as one of our references. We may hear the same system or live performance, while sitting right next to each other, and yet we hear or focus on different things, and prefer different things.

My memory tells me that the Mini II is more extended than Al's mini speakers, both his first pair , and then his two Ref 3A models. I was very satisfied without subs for the music I listened to at the time. With the Q3s, I now listen more to larger scale classical that the Mini IIs could not portray as well. I also used to ask Al to turn off his subs at times when listening to his system because I liked the purity of that sound more when listening to smaller scale music like string quartets. I no longer do that because his system sounds different and much better now with the new gear and zero toe-in, but I suspect he also found my requests a bit tiresome.

Another factor is that Al openly discusses his preference for being able to adjust the bass output level for various recordings. He enjoys this adjustability to suit his listening pleasure while I prefer to hear the recording as is.

So, Al and I have some differences regarding our opinions about subs with mini monitors. My experience is quite limited. I think Al has more knowledge and experience combining the two. In fact, we first met when I contacted him after reading about his system being mini-monitor based,as was mine. I reached out to him and we discovered that we live just 15 minutes from each other. The rest is history, as they say.

Having written that, here is how I would describe my memory of my system with the Mini II versus his current system with mini-monitor plus two subs: I preferred my old system with Mini IIs to Al's old system, especially when he had only one REL sub with his old gear. My system was more resolving with fewer compromises. However, it was not as extended, it had a smaller sound, and the stage was not nearly as deep, but for the music I listened to, it sounded very convincing and right to me. It did have lots of dynamics and was incredibly coherent and resolving. Al's system was not as smooth sounding and suffered from some high frequencies sharpness or brightness which may have been caused by his digital or his older speakers. I don't really know.

We have both moved on from those older systems. I have fuller range Q3s now and can play and enjoy large scale jazz and classical. My system is now much more capable. His new speakers are also much better than what he had and they are now better integrated with his two new JL Audio subwoofers. His digital is much better sorted out, and his electronics are very good. I thoroughly enjoy both systems now, and I think he does as well, though I suspect we each prefer our own system over our good friend's.

The two systems do sound different and they reflect their owner's current tastes and preferences. They do sound similar in many respects, but I would say the tonal balance is what differs most. Al was over the other night listening to my system and he preferred my MSL Sig Gold/SME V-12 combination while I preferred my new vdh Master Sig/3012R combination. I would describe the primary difference as one of tonal balance where the MSL/V-12 is slightly fuller, richer sounding in the lower midrange to upper bass. It is a more ripe sound, which is what I hear in Al's system. I find the vdh/3012R to be more timbrally accurate, more dynamic, and slightly cleaner sounding, though I also very much like the other combination for what it offers, which is why I so enjoy going to visit Al and hearing his system.

I enjoyed my time with the Mini II (boy, that channels MikeL's language :)) and I learned a lot from those speakers. They were excellent, and I think a classic design. They were also beautiful to look at and extremely well made. Al's Ref 3 and JL subs are now really singing, but I now don't really know whether I would prefer them to my Mini II. Overall, the systems I think sounded pretty similar, but Al's can now portray large scale music better than my Mini II based system could. A direct comparison between the two speaker combinations in the same system would be fascinating in the hands of a set up expert. I am not sure I could fully optimize either speaker to hear them at their best. Jim Smith did take my Mini II very far and given its limitations in extension and number of drivers, it sounded excellent on all music except larger scale classical, jazz and heavy rock. Al's system now sounds excellent and convincing on those genres, though perhaps the tonal balance is slightly different, and it is not as pure in the Mini II's sweet spot, but that is based on a rapidly failing memory.

I hope that answers your interesting question.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing