Nagra repair anyone!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Charlie is one of the very best Studer tech's in the country. Good choice on your part.
Charlie, Martin B., and Fred have provided the technical support for keeping both my A-820's operating optimally.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What is that in the US with specializing / repairing only one machine type :oops:

My repair shop in germany Eternal arts does all types .:) 20200228_212740.jpg

Don-RMGI

Mar 30, 2019
80 miles Southwest of Chicago,
What is that in the US with specializing / repairing only one machine type :oops:

My repair shop in germany Eternal arts does all types .:) View attachment 65987
Most of the good tech's that I know will work on different types of pro level tape machines as well as consoles and components. What they don't want to work on are entry level 50 year old consumer tape machines. There are a couple of them who are very selective about which pro level gear they will service, because they have a good stock of parts for those machines. They just don't want to spend hours tracking down parts for machines they don't specialize in.

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
....There are a couple of them who are very selective about which pro level gear they will service, because they have a good stock of parts for those machines. They just don't want to spend hours tracking down parts for machines they don't specialize in.

That's a big gotcha with the Nagra machines - no parts availability and little assistance from Nagra HQ.

Aug 2, 2021
Nagra switzerland will do a full refresh on a IV-S or T-Audio.
If it’s something simple, Forrest Forbes in CA may be able to help. While there is no current authorized service tech for Nagra in NA, I know Forrest is still servicing Nagras.
Thank you for the mention. Just to further inform: I have in 35 years servicing Nagras done virtually every procedure on them, including complete overhauls, replacing all bearings and parts as needed.
All of my service work includes complete mechanical and electronic cleaning, lubrication and calibration to factory specifications.

Best Regards
Forrest Forbes

Sonicman

Aug 20, 2023
Krefeld, Germany
This is an older thread, but maybe this information will be helpful for NAGRA owners. I have a IVs QGB, a T-Audio and two SN. I got them serviced by Herbert Bartels. He is the former head of service at NAGRA Switzerland and now retired.
He runs is own service shop now and has all the spare parts and calibration tools needed for a proper service. You can contact him by email mcbartels@swissonline.ch
Best regards
Gerhard

Reactions: Zeotrope

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
In the US, we have another option for Nagra T Audio repair. Dan Labrie, former ATR Services lead tech founded Myriad Magnetic, based out of Philadelphia. ATR refurbishment is still his #1 priority, but he now works on most other professional tape machine brands as well. He has serviced or refurbished my Studer, Otari, 3M, Revox, and recently Nagra T Audio machines. In fact, he's preparing another 2 Nagra Ts for me now. Contact him at dan@myriadmagnetic.com.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
This is an older thread, but maybe this information will be helpful for NAGRA owners. I have a IVs QGB, a T-Audio and two SN. I got them serviced by Herbert Bartels. He is the former head of service at NAGRA Switzerland and now retired.
He runs is own service shop now and has all the spare parts and calibration tools needed for a proper service. You can contact him by email mcbartels@swissonline.ch
Best regards
Gerhard
This is great news. Thanks for sharing the info. M. Bartels serviced my TA and IV-S for more than 10 years, but he completely retired from Nagra during the pandemic. I had a problem with my TA in 2021 and I contacted him. He was still recovering from COVID at that time but talked me through getting it repaired myself. He knows the machine like the back of his hand.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing