Natural Sound

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Peter unfortunately I hear much lesser nuance and variation as compared to the 2 that I posted from the same system and compared to Tang's. I know this video was not playing in the US but you can easily download a VPN like Nordvpn or expressvpn and connect to anothere country to listen. If you have Norton that also has vpn you can use

That's why I thought it was the technics. If it is happening due with the MS, then it is probably the cables. It would be interesting if we could hear the same video with Al's or Ian's cables.

The reason I say it is the cables is because Tang has Lamm, and while his TAD drivers are highly nuanced, the other 2 videos have either JBL or Altec (he owns both and alternates), no special amps, and the analog is EMT direct drive, which is much less nuanced than yours. His carts on one are Neumann DST and on the other is an EMT TSD 15 modded by VDH

whose is the Denon TT with both carts? what speakers there?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Peter unfortunately I hear much lesser nuance and variation as compared to the 2 that I posted from the same system and compared to Tang's. I know this video was not playing in the US but you can easily download a VPN like Nordvpn or expressvpn and connect to anothere country to listen. If you have Norton that also has vpn you can use

That's why I thought it was the technics. If it is happening due with the MS, then it is probably the cables. It would be interesting if we could hear the same video with Al's or Ian's cables.

The reason I say it is the cables is because Tang has Lamm, and while his TAD drivers are highly nuanced, the other 2 videos have either JBL or Altec (he owns both and alternates), no special amps, and the analog is EMT direct drive, which is much less nuanced than yours. His carts on one are Neumann DST and on the other is an EMT TSD 15 modded by VDH

Yes, I have to agree, also the vocal presence is less and slightly muffled with Peter's.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
whose is the Denon TT with both carts? what speakers there?

I mentioned the speakers in my post. Sorry Denon not EMT. He had EMT in another video..

If you click on the link the owner is a guy named Franz in Russia

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I mentioned the speakers in my post. Sorry Denon not EMT. He had EMT in another video..

If you click on the link the owner is a guy named Franz in Russia
Yes, but JBL and Altec is very non-specific...they each have dozens of models...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So, you are saying your new system gives you more contrast between recordings than the previous one? In that case, congrats!

Good question Brad. The presentation used to be more bold and stark, from dark grey to dirty white with fewer gradations between. It is now more black to white and more nuanced with greater variation and resolution.

I now hear something similar in my new system between audiophile re-issues on thick vinyl and original or early pressings of the same music.

The result is that my more resolving system is more capable and able to differentiate between different recordings more successfully. I now better understand the shortcomings of some of my audiophile re-issue recordings.

Using the word contrast to describe these observations was confusing and not helpful. I appreciate Bonzo pointing it out and questioning it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, but JBL and Altec is very non-specific...they each have dozens of models...

Oh sorry. A7 and the jbl had a top changed to 2441.

He changes a lot, he also had the 290 in the A7 cabinet and had replaced the diaphragm with paper. Tough to say which one of the above is exactly in this video but the they were all in A7 cabinet at that time, and point is none of those drivers were any special high resolution so they won't outdo vitavox that way. Therefore the most logical explanation in Peter's system that is the cables

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Oh sorry. A7 and the jbl had a top changed to 2441.

He changes a lot, he also had the 290 in the A7 cabinet and had replaced the diaphragm with paper. Tough to say which one of the above is exactly in this video but the they were all in A7 cabinet at that time, and point is none of those drivers were any special high resolution so they won't outdo vitavox that way. Therefore the most logical explanation in Peter's system that is the cables
Well, the 2441 is a very good driver...it is the professional equivalent of the famous 375. The main question then is Al or Ti diaphragm...later JBL (like 2445 and 2446) used Ti and older JBL used Al.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Nothing is unfortunate, Bonzo. I am fortunate to be enjoying my system and sharing my thoughts. Posting videos, especially if someone then posts many others of the same recording, comes with obvious risk. I have always enjoyed Tang's system and his videos. I think he wrote in his thread that this recording is an expression of the human voice in the listening room, or something to that extent. I agree completely with that sentiment.

Regarding these two specific presentations, and adjusting for the louder recording volume of Tang's, I listen to the differences in the low frequencies and how they affect the voice and the piano. The bass quality is quite different. It is a contrast in balance and emphasis between the two systems and rooms and it is noticeable from the first few seconds of the videos. Nuance is indeed one of the distinctions and the vdH does this well, as does the Lamm gear and turntables. The relationship between singer and instrument is important here, as is the tone and weight of the voice and low frequencies. We make our observations and share them and learn. It will be interesting to hear how this recording sounds on Tang's system and then on video after his speaker and sub changes and other changes. I have no doubt it will be different.

I do not think there can be a cable swap in my system. Ian, Al, and I have no interest in doing such a thing, nor do I think their balanced cables will be optimal in my single ended system. Their speaker cable terminations will also not work on the Vitavox crossover inputs. You will just have to continue your speculation as to the causes for what you hear. The cables are certainly a part of it, and mine are here to stay.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nothing is unfortunate, Bonzo. I am fortunate to be enjoying my system and sharing my thoughts. Posting videos, especially if someone then posts many others of the same recording, comes with obvious risk. I have always enjoyed Tang's system and his videos. I think he wrote in his thread that this recording is an expression of the human voice in the listening room, or something to that extent. I agree completely with that sentiment.

Regarding these two specific presentations, I listen to the differences in the low frequencies and how they affect the voice and the piano. It is a contrast in balance and emphasis between the two systems and rooms. Nuance is indeed one of the distinctions and the vdH does this well, as does the Lamm gear and turntables. The relationship between singer and instrument is important here, as is the tone and weight of the voice and low frequencies. We make our observations and share them and learn. It will be interesting to hear how this recording sounds on Tang's system and then on video after his speaker and sub changes and other changes. I have no doubt it will be different.

I do not think there can be a cable swap in my system. Ian, Al, and I have no interest in doing such a thing, nor do I think their balanced cables will be optimal in my single ended system. Their speaker cable terminations will also not work on the Vitavox crossover inputs. You will just have to continue your speculation as to the causes for what you hear. The cables are certainly a part of it, and mine are here to stay.

Sorry Peter, while we appreciate you posting videos, there is no reason not to take constructive feedback when it is easy. The feedback is not at all that all is broken. Tang, Bill, Brad, and I feel there is less nuance, in your system video only. It does not require any specific crazy super high spend or effort to rectify. There is no reason to be cultish about the cables. It is easily verified

We are taking into account relationship between singer, instrument, weight, tone. The thing lacking is nuance, inflection.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sorry Peter, while we appreciate you posting videos, there is no reason not to take constructive feedback when it is easy. The feedback is not at all that all is broken. Tang, Bill, Brad, and I feel there is less nuance, in your system video only. It does not require any specific crazy super high spend or effort to rectify. There is no reason to be cultish about the cables. It is easily verified

We are taking into account relationship between singer, instrument, weight, tone. The thing lacking is nuance, inflection.

Nothing is unfortunate, and there is no reason to be sorry. From what I have heard from Tang, Bill, and Brad's videos, we all have different sounding systems which is a fascinating aspect of the hobby and this is the benefit of sharing and discussing. This group values what can be learned from system videos and does not dismiss them out of hand. I agree with their value, and this is a good example. I am glad you are having what sounds like a robust discussion and enjoy making recommendations. It is one way to learn.

I have taken and accepted feedback for years and I appreciate it. Surely some members feel more comfortable giving it than others. I welcome your feedback here too, so I do not know why you think I am not taking it. I already had the IC wires that Ian is using in this new system, as well as in my old system, or one extremely similar and made by the same guy. It is a good cable. David and I thought it was not optimal in this system and preferred one that he brought. I still use it. I am very familiar with Al's Zenwave, having heard it in his system, my former system, and in Ian's system. They are good cables but not to my taste. This has nothing to do with a cult. That is really a strange way to view it. Thank you for your suggestion.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

Wow even in videos the difference is stark. I am skeptical that cables can account for all of it. Peter's sound is comparatively veiled; almost muffled. I'd have to think the room, the speaker cabinets, the recording device and levels are all playing major roles. Though two vDH carts are also never alike.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Peter,

In your video in Post #2,441 I hear a prominent ambient noise floor before the needle drops -- even listening only on my desktop computer. I continue to hear that noise floor clearly and distractingly even as the first few notes begin to play.

It seems to me from the video that that ambient noise floor would be loud enough to obscure low levels of musical information.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
By ambient noise floor, do you mean the room? I certainly hear the room influence to a distracting extent myself. And in going back and forth between Peter's and Tang's videos, there is significant musical content missing in the former.

• Love
Reactions: Scott Naylor

djsina2

May 30, 2019
PeterA video has major distortion and break up. Must be the recording device, I would hope! Both videos have so much surface noise. How do you mega system owners tolerate that?

• Wow
Reactions: Scott Naylor

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I listened to the video of Peter's system and there is indeed some distortion. It has to be the recording device as I heard no distortion when I listened to the system. Actually one of the lowest distortion systems I've ever heard.

Reactions: morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Not really unless the objective is to congratulate someone after every video
Yes, only praise...its the modern snowflake way!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I listened to the video of Peter's system and there is indeed some distortion. It has to be the recording device as I heard no distortion when I listened to the system. Actually one of the lowest distortion systems I've ever heard.

That possibility should then be easy to eliminate by recording using someone else's phone

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing