Need a suggestion for a good airline and travel plan!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi guys,

In the Fall of next year I'm planning a trip to visit my two brothers in Vietnam. I'll be flying from Toronto, On, Canada. On the first part of the journey I will likely stopover in Vancouver as I'm not sure I want to travel 15 hours direct from Toronto to Hong-Kong. For those of you who have traveled to Vietnam or that part of the world, what suggestions do you have? I do know I don't want to fly Air Canada as both my brothers and several of my co-workers weren't impressed with the service and food.

What country/city should I fly into? Is the airport there welcoming and/or comfortable for some sort of lay-over? And since I've never been to that part of the world are there any customs or issues that I should be aware of or possibly concerned about? Things to do or not to do?

Any thoughts and/or advice a most appreciated.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Hi guys,

In the Fall of next year I'm planning a trip to visit my two brothers in Vietnam. I'll be flying from Toronto, On, Canada. On the first part of the journey I will likely stopover in Vancouver as I'm not sure I want to travel 15 hours direct from Toronto to Hong-Kong. For those of you who have traveled to Vietnam or that part of the world, what suggestions do you have? I do know I don't want to fly Air Canada as both my brothers and several of my co-workers weren't impressed with the service and food.

What country/city should I fly into? Is the airport there welcoming and/or comfortable for some sort of lay-over? And since I've never been to that part of the world are there any customs or issues that I should be aware of or possibly concerned about? Things to do or not to do?

Any thoughts and/or advice a most appreciated.

I used to travel to China and Vietnam on a monthly basis. If you can swing it I would suggest flying into Newark and catching the direct flight from Newark to Singapore. It is a non-stop flight that is about 18.5 hours. Singapore's service takes a back-seat to no others. The next morning you can grab an easy flight from Singapore to HCMC.

Another option would be Japan Airlines, YYZ-NRT-SGN

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The Middle Eastern airlines are no slouch either, like Qatar, Etihad, Emirates, etc.
Both Hong Kong and Singapore are convenient hubs in the region, so take your pick. Both are worthwhile stops anyway.

alexandre

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
agree, do not fly via Air Canada or any US based airline if you have the option to fly with any Asian based airlines. Japan Airlines, Thai International, Korean Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines will be my recommendation. One time I flew from Vancouver - Osaka (Air Canada - over 10 hours) and connected from Osaka - Manila (Thai International - 4.5 hours) and was served twice as much food on the second/shorter leg. This was both on economy class. With Thai, they offer hot towels almost as soon as the plane takeoff, then snack (almost equivalent to Air Canada full meal) shortly after. I would prefer to stopover in any airport in Japan over Hongkong.

rrr

May 17, 2010
You didn't say what class you were traveling.

JAL Business is decent, coach is horrible. All Singapore and Thai is very good. The Singapore via Newark suggestion was a good one and once in Singapore you will have acceptable alternatives for HCMC.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll be travelling coach and I'm not keen on flying into Newark for an 18 hour flight, hence my preference to fly Toronto-Vancouver and then onward. I've heard some really good things about Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines, so they're like the front-runners. Now I have to decide what city to fly into.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Singapore is consistently rated the top 3 airlines in the world, and Singapore itself is a nice little place for a visit :)
Hong Kong isn't bad either, of course.
I'd just check the prices then and see what looks better, you're well served in either city.

alexandre

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Singapore is consistently rated the top 3 airlines in the world, and Singapore itself is a nice little place for a visit :)
Hong Kong isn't bad either, of course.
I'd just check the prices then and see what looks better, you're well served in either city.

alexandre

One of my brothers use to live there and actually just left for a long-weekend there with his wife.

rrr

May 17, 2010
I'll be travelling coach and I'm not keen on flying into Newark for an 18 hour flight, hence my preference to fly Toronto-Vancouver and then onward. I've heard some really good things about Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines, so they're like the front-runners. Now I have to decide what city to fly into.

Both of these airlines are good. Both cities are good. Both airports are good. You could just flip a coin.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you are flying coach, I would opt for the shortest flight time over the airline choice. Vancouver is a lovely place so even though Fall is start of rainy season, spend a bit of time there to shake of that leg of the flight. And then get a non-stop to where you are going.

When I go to Asia from west coast, I take United to Nartia (Tokyo) and then to my destination. United sucks unless like me then, you would get upgraded to first class with sleeper seats. Service would still suck but you could just sleep it off :). Alternatively I would fly down to San Francisco and fly non-stop to my destination but it would be 12+ hours and even in business class it was tiring. Can't even imagine it in coach!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There are daily non-stop flights from Vancouver to Manila (about 12.5 hours?) and Manila to Ho CHi Min (about 2 hours and a half). :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
John, stop over in Manila and visit Jack to listen to one of the best hifi systems in the World, and experience one of the best hospitality in the world. I can tell you, having traveled around the world both on business and pleasure, the Filipino hospitality is one of the best.

If you want to travel into Vancouver first, then YYZ/YVR/MNL/SGN might be the shortest route. However, I believe that both Cathay Pacific and EVA air would have polar routes from Toronto. Unless you really want to visit Vancouver, the shortest route might be YYZ/HKG(or TPE)/SGN.

Service on Cathay is a bit better than EVA. Best service might be Singapore Airlines and the YYZ/EWR/SGP/SGN might be a decent choice.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
if you decide to fly via Manila, start experiencing the Filipino hospitality by flying Philippine Airlines :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Heck, stay overnight. We got a guest bedroom John :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm really tempted to fly into Manila, but Jack.....I may not leave after I listen to your system and that would not make my brothers too happy! :eek:

I'm flying into Vancouver as I want the shortest possible "in the air" flight as I can get, and I'm willing to have a stopover. One of my co-workers does a Toronto-Hong Kong flight every year at about 18hrs.......I'd go stir-crazy. It looks like Toronto-Vancouver-Manila-Saigon is something I need to seriously consider.

Oh Jack...I can do dishes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
wow! this is an easy decision now. been to Jack's lair a couple of times, I can attest he's a great host... you might not want to leave Manila :D

I'm pleasantly afraid of that! LOL!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No dishwashing John! Eating yes, dishwashing no! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing