Network Acoustics - Tempus network switch

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Curious to know how it sounds compared to the Innuos PhoenixNET, if anyone can do this comparison in future.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
As a super happy Muon Pro Streaming System owner this is indeed the switch highest up on my list of all switches that I would like to try.

Reactions: jasond

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
I already have it, Its is bloody fantastic ! (I’ve been running it in for 4 days constantly now).

it easily better the Edison Creation (extreme version) switch, which I've had for over two years. Basically much more detailed and very (sorry about using this word) analogue, rich and organic.

I think this maybe the best switch currently on the market. I’m very, vey happy with it, with it in my system, my whole system now sound very rich and detailed and organic. And the timing…ooh la la.

But recommend to not use the standard feet it comes with. I’ve raised it with Graphite Audio spikes&cups to raise it‘s performance even more.

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Amazing to hear! Maybe you can also share more comparisons to other switches.
I am already excited when I get mine next week.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Hi jasond,

This will be a semi random set of events – so please bear with me.

I started my Audiophile network switch journey many, many moons ago. Initially I went through normal customer grade switches that were ‘modded’ for audiophile use.

Then in recent times I bought the dedicated built from starch for audiophile use the EtheRegen from UpTone audio. Now this was a very nice switch and seem to lift the performance of my system, then we all at some stage get the “upgrade itch”. I was reading this forum and lucked upon an introduction to the Edison Creation switch by our own well know member CKK. I know that CKK has good experience with CAS systems (the word he likes to use) – I decided to trust his judgment and order it. I went all in and got the extreme version. This easily upped the game and was quite noticeably better than the EtheRegen. So, I been living with this switch for a good couple of years.

Now quite a few people are bringing out audiophile switches. I was briefly tempted by the Innous Net switch, but nowadays I don’t feel comfortable with speed of 100 mbps from the switch in an attempt to keep noise down, to improve sound quality.

I have spoken to a couple of people I trust (manufactures) and the ones who have done experiments and they all seem to say 1000 mbps is the way to go for best sound quality. I myself tried (not very scientific) identical cables (same make and same materials) with one able to do 100 mps and the other able to do 1000 mbps. I have to say I greatly preferred the 1000 mbp speed (and the sound associated with it). So, now I tend not to show any interest in switches that can only do 100 mbps, because I feel their sound will not be as good as what I already have, if a 1000 mbps switch is done right.

So, in summary the Edison creation switch was the best that I had personally experienced so far.

I have a Buffalo switch (which Melco supposedly cloned) to create the Melco switch. The Edison is easily better than the Buffalo I have. I use the Buffalo as a “buffer” switch from my router and daisy chained it to the Edison. This I have found greatly increase the sound quality of the internet streaming Qobuz/Tidal. While the direct Pink Faun streaming is a noticeably better sound wise, but if you buffer the router with another quality switch it greatly helps with the internet side of this sound wise and closes the gap to direct/local streaming quite significantly.

So initially when the tempus arrived, I just replaced the Edison and kept the Buffalo in place. Once I felt comfortable that the Temps was better than the Edison. I compared the direct pink faun streaming to internet Qobuz/Tidal streaming, the sound gap had expanded, with the Pink faun streaming now sounding noticeably better (with the tempus in place). So whilst I was happy, I was also a little miffed that the internet of things had degraded (or more likely Tempus was just too good and now showing the short comings of Internet streaming side of things). So, after a few days of just listening to tempus I replaced the Buffalo with the Edison in the ‘first off the block switch” connected directly to the router.

I have not had proper time to listen critically but on an initial quick comparison, the gap has now closed once again, the Internet streaming sound quality has greatly increased and its much, much closer to direct Pink Faun streaming.

So, to cut to the chase, the Tempus is fantastic (give it a good 4-5 days to mellow out/bed in, I’m sure it needs more, but I’m already very happy with it) and if it's replacing another quality switch, then repurpose the other switch to be the first in the chain from the router (to cut the router noise) and generally greatly help with internet Qobuz/Tidal streaming.

So, I hope this puts a bit more context and helps answers your query until your own Tempus arrives and you can experience it yourself.

Cheers

Last edited:

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
So, to cut to the chase, the Tempus is fantastic (give it a good 4-5 days to mellow out/bed in, I’m sure it needs more, but I’m already very happy with it) and if it's replacing another quality switch, then repurpose the other switch to be the first in the chain from the router (to cut the router noise) and generally greatly help with internet Qobuz/Tidal streaming.

Thanks for your report! Btw do you have a Muon Pro in the chain also or "only" the Tempus?

I reasoned very similar to you regarding the 100/1000 mbps and I used to have the Innuos PhoenixNET, this was one of the reasons I sold it.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Hi VIMH,

I "only" have the tempus and not the Muon Pro in the system. I was trying to get a demo of the Muon Pro from the local Australian distribution - but they never responded after I called them a couple of times. I think I'll need to investigate the Muon Pro once funds allow and get it direct from NA.

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

BigAlMc

Jun 20, 2020
Thanks @Jambo - I've been waiting for someone to start a thread about the Tempus.

I have the Muon Streaming system which is fantastic and the Muon USB which displaced a Sablon Evo USB and in my book that's quite an achievement as Mark Coles has been knocking it out of the proverbial park for quite a while.

I currently have an EtherRegen (accepting fibre optic from a Sonore OM) before the Innuos PhoenixNet and then the Muon streaming system into my Innuos Zenith SE Server. The combo is pretty special and working well for me. I'm considering getting the Grimm Audio MU1 to replace the Zenith SE as I've read it's a magical combo with my DAC (the Mola Mola Tambaqui). But given how good the Muon streaming system and USB are I can't help but wonder about whether the Tempus would outperform the PhoenixNet.

I'd already read Jason Kennedy's review of the Tempus before finding this thread and I rate Jason. His review of the Zenith SE contributed slightly to my decision to buy it at the time.

However I'm curious about the following from his review as at first glance the Tempus seems really well equipped but then this seems odd: These SFP ports are included for “use with future products”

I'd probably trade the PhoenixNet for the Tempus IF I decided to move. But I'd like the option of running the fibre optic right into the Tempus to evaluate whether the ER (and it's Paul Hynes SR4T PSU) were adding anything or redundant. So whilst I have great respect for Network Acoustics I'm curious about why there are 4 SFP ports that shouldn't be used currently. Either they have an amazing Fibre product in the works or the SFP implementation hasn't gone to plan and they're steering us away from using it. Too cynical perhaps.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying yours, loved your review and looking forward to a few others hopefully opining on their experiences here as this product has a real chance of disrupting my server upgrade plans. Although on paper at least, a server upgrade should outperform a switch upgrade. But then who knows in this crazy hobby of ours.

Cheers,
Alan

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Hello Alan,

Maybe I can help. Generally I found that SFP is very good connection and used it myself for a while. But on checking with a few people they preferred Ethernet (if implemented well) as personally when listened critically and compared I also found SFP a little lacking in emotional impact and a touch sterile. So I went back to Ethernet.

Now as to why NA have SFP ports, of course by all means use that connection on the Tempus if your happy with that approach and you like the SFP sound. They said to me the same as I've said above, they also find the SFP a touch clean and sterlie. They have thier own SFP product in the works that will finally deliver on the SFP promise and remove the Sterlity I find, so watch this pace (no timescale indicated by NA) !

Hopefully that Answers your question.

Cheers

Last edited:

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Maybe I can help. Generally I found that SFP is very good connection and used it myself for a while. But on checking with a few people they preferred Ethernet (if implemented well) as personally when listened critically and compared I also found SFP a little lacking in emotional impact and a touch sterile. So I went back to Ethernet.

I'm very glad to hear this, thanks! I've read about SFP for years but always been a bit skeptical about it, trying to read between the lines of peoples experiences, thinking the SFP modules introduces their own problems and that the resulting sound might not be to my liking etc. It's always difficult to understand peoples view on something and connecting it to your own feelings and preferences. I mean, we all have different preferences and sometimes it even takes a while before we understand ourselves what direction is the one we would like to take. Some like XLR, some prefer RCA, some like USB, some SPDIF or AES/EBU, some likes tubes, some prefer solid states, Class A/Class AB/Class D, big speakers, standmounts/floor standers etc etc... and in the end we always has to decide what works best for ourselves, our rooms and our setup.

I'm sure SFP can be made to sound great as well though and it does seem like Network Acoustic is on to something there which I bet is going to be another great product. With digital everything matters "even more" it seems and it's probably not wise to rule anything out at any point as we're still learning here.

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Absolutely true. I have gone the SFP on my own once with an EtherRegen and a standard FMC with an Ifi iPower Elite which got replaced by a Sonore OM Deluxe V2 with Farad Super3 including all upgrades. So in all all a lot of time, energy and budget to spend.

That’s what I appreciate so much about Network Acoustics - they have an integrated approach. In this case it’s switch, power supply and reference DC cable. All is geared to each other.

Republicoftexas69

Been using SFP for 20 + years. Never going back.

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
I have been experimenting with various FMC and SFP modules - in the end the MUON Pro streaming system provided a better and more natural sound. But sure this is also system dependent - even a standard FMC with SFP for USD 99,- might provide an improvement in noisy setups.
It's definitely a good thing in the Tempus to have the SFP option for those interested and there are new streamers from vendors like LUMIN which have a SFP included to connect the Tempus directly.

Republicoftexas69

I have been experimenting with various FMC and SFP modules - in the end the MUON Pro streaming system provided a better and more natural sound. But sure this is also system dependent - even a standard FMC with SFP for USD 99,- might provide an improvement in noisy setups.
It's definitely a good thing in the Tempus to have the SFP option for those interested and there are new streamers from vendors like LUMIN which have a SFP included to connect the Tempus directly.
My entire home is Fiber. Our entire community is fiber. Setup was never noisy, well have nothing to base it on as I have only had 6 inches of Cat 8 in the entire house and it is going into my Innuos Zenith Mk III.

Republicoftexas69

On another note if you have a network that is not suffering from noise why would you need a $3500.00 USD + network switch. This puzzles me.

Reactions: fxg

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
There is no network or HiFi setup free of noise. Unfortunately, otherwise things would be much easier - though also our hobby less interesting to say :)
So no matter how good the components of a hifi setup are, common mode noise especially in the digital domain is a tricky challenge.
A switch is an essential part in a network and the better it’s doing this job the better sound quality there will be.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
On another note if you have a network that is not suffering from noise why would you need a $3500.00 USD + network switch. This puzzles me.

It's maybe more like you don't hear noise in the system, until it's gone. And it's maybe not so much about actual "noise" but more of disturbances coming in through our networks affecting the performance of the streamer, even when playing files stored locally on a streamer it is being affected with a connected network cable. Similar to what the introduction of better DAC's did many years ago, people talked about a veil being lifted off their speakers. A switch was definitely a product I didn't think I needed in my setup a few years back, but hearing is believing.

I've been through the etherRegen and the Innuos PhoenixNET myself, the switch and network cables are to me an essential part of digital playback. The more frustrating part is maybe recently realising that while the switch is more or less a requirement it still can't do everything and the addition of a passive filter as in Network Acoustics Muon Pro solution after the switch will make things even better. In the Taiko Audio camp they're taking things even further and also want to replace your router creating a dedicated network inside your home.

As with everything in our hobby there's no right or wrong, you don't have to buy into anything and everybody choose themselves which direction to go with different solutions, but the better our setups becomes the more important all the details gets and everything all of a sudden matters, my advice is only for people to keep an open mind about the development in the digital playback domain as my feeling is that we're still learning a lot here.

As for money, I still think etherRegen is a good starting point for much less, to me the guys at UpTone Audio started this evolution and made us realise these things can be improved upon, but as with everything there will always be new, better (or only different) and more expensive solutions following any break through products. The next generation of etherRegen is also in development afaik.

Personally I can't wait to hear what the Tempus will bring to my already wonderful sounding system... :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing