Network Acoustics - Tempus network switch

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
What I found is that if I doubled up on the switches, one switch after a standard router feeding ones audiophile switch that the internet streaming performance was very close to direct streaming from a decent music server (pink faun in my case).

So when I purchased the NA switch I repurposed my existing audiophile switch for it to come before it and connect to the router first.
I am evaluating the Switch X replacing my JCAT M12 Gold. So (repurposing) my M12 I inserted it between my Verizon Modem and the Switch X.
Wow. Wow.

Reactions: Jambo

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Hello @fast.freight & @luca.pelliccioli, the Muno Pro arrived this morning (Tuesday 12pm midday here in Australia as I write this), I'm going show my cheeky side the say the freight was fast from UK, sorry could not resist. Happy Tuesday !

Initial thoughts with the M.Pro just before my streamer (i.e after the Tempus) are very positive, seems the bass has filled out a bit, a touch darker - in there is darkness between notes and seems (sorry to use the over used word) more Analogue
NA have said it needs 150 hours to break in, so will report once I have had some serious hours on it. But so far it seems it still helps.

I think your statement ....(the better the upstream Switch the less impact of the Muon, but it still helps) is about correct.

I played a difficult track and it was more listenable, so far - all postive.

Last edited:

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Glad to know you are liking it.

If you have time, here I posted my thoughts about it:

Reactions: Jambo

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
I’ve been wondering for awhile:
SR seems to come out with their own unique tech. Since on WBF it’s been reported benefits from using multiple switches, I wondered what the change/benefit would be to add the SR switch to the NA Tempus switch? Perhaps there’s a different filtering scheme (engineering design to yield better performance) that may yield benefits?

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Daisy chained switch… I asked Innuos team their opinion about putting a second PhoenixNET in the chain, they do not recommend doing that. It could’t worth the money. Said by the manufacturer itself.
Other members here had different results, though.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Daisy chained switch… I asked Innuos team their opinion about putting a second PhoenixNET in the chain, they do not recommend doing that. It could’t worth the money. Said by the manufacturer itself.
Other members here had different results, though.

I know a guy who tried multiple switches in a row and came to the conclusion that the magic number and "sweet spot" was three of them. People will most definitely come to different conclusions though. Personally I think there's a balance of sound quality, price and esthetic in play. I'm listening to music in my living room, I don't want it to look like some kind of science lab with switches and cables all over the place.

A better power cable and fuse upgrade had quite an impact on my PhoenixNET, it "felt" wrong to use a power cable about the same price as the switch itself, but it sounded great! And I'd rather pay for better cables than multiple switches, which in turn would need additional good power cables and ethernet cables between them. Everyone find what works for them though.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Personally I think there's a balance of sound quality, price and esthetic in play. I'm listening to music in my living room, I don't want it to look like some kind of science lab with switches and cables all over the place.

I could not agree more. especially the seldom mentioned esthetics. The telegartner switches (M12) are particularly scifiesc. I locate all that stuff in my office. Verizon Modem > (Switch? ) > Switch > (2) cat 8 runs > Audio systems > Muon Pro Filters > Streamers
I love the Muon Pro for its passive nature and no heat (old EtherRegen) or power supply. So stacking a second switch is not an esthetic issue for me. I have already gone to nice power cords and power supplies, and will probably end up with the Wifi X or Tempus (arriving soon). The addition of the M12 upstream of the Switch X was very nice. Since the Switch X also has its own Wifi X, having all that away from the audio rooms is essential for esthetics. AND, as I alrady have the very nice M12 Gold Switch and PS, why not???

Now I have packed up GTT's demo of Switch X to return. The Magic is gone. It is amazing to go back and miss it. Yet two weeks ago I thought it sounded amazing. This switch / cleam LAN stuff is mind blowing. Thank you to all the brilliant people with open minds; the engineers and the tryers!

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
I think it’s important to note that „sounding“ which can be achieved with various switches, Ethernet cables is a different approach than trying to get cleanest, origin based results.
Having had many conversations with leading vendors over the years what they all agree on is that common mode noise and phase noise is the challenge to address.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
The new Tempus switch is just amazing! Giving it just a few more hours and will post my review then.
Nice one mate ! Bit of a relief that I did not mess up in my recommendation of it. Enjoy it in good health, keep us updated.

It will be on full song in 6-7 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnuska and jasond

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Hi @luca.pelliccioli, thanks for that, Yes, I'm aware of the CAD USB control. It's just that it was easier to get the Telos in Australia and cheaper. The only thing the Telos needs is an Active USB port to work with. Now the CAD does not require an active USB port, and since my CH C1.2 does not have an active USB port, I just ordered the CAD USB Control for my CH C1.2. I was planning to get one anyway.

Cheers - have a lovely day
Would be interesting how these two compare to the ifi Silencer and Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ

Republicoftexas69

Reactions: jasond

Republicoftexas69

Don’t think this is what would fit into the USB port of a switch and further drain away noise. Therefore looking for short USB sticks with the functionality. Having already ones from Audioquest and Ifi I am just curious to compare others too to maybe improve things even more.
Oh you are using a laptop or a computer. actually yes with 2 short usb runs. I use this with my Innuos Zenith and runs to my LessLoss Echos End DAC. No pc or laptop in the chain.

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Well those USB port noise filters can be used in a number of devices like streamers, switches, NAS, even amps which have a USB port.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
I’m being generalist, so please read my comments in that fashion.

yes there many usb “sticks” that help to cut noise (i have not tried too many). generally there seem to be two types, ones which have an output port and ones that don’t. The one with an output you plug the dongle into an usb port and then connect a usb cable to the dongle’s output ”tail” and feed some sort of device, say a dac. These types i have not tried as I don't need that functionality.

The ones that I have tried don‘t have a usb ”output”, namely the Telos and CAD. These just cut the noise on the actual device that its connected to, routers, nas, music server etc.

out of the two i have personally used, the Telos seems to be most effective (most bang for your buck) , but the caveat is that it needs an “active” usb port. What i mean by this is that when plugged in it needs to have it lights flashing, if the lights don’t flash on the dongle, then the usb port is not active and it will have no impact.

So the Telos worked on my router and pink faun music server, but it did not work on my C1.2 Dac/Pre, because the service usb port on the CH C1.2 dac was not “active“ so it had no impact here. But the CAD control usb works on both active and non active usb ports, so I use the CAD one on the CH C1.2 dac/pre.
the effect of both is to generally cut noise, and these both seem to give the sound “focus” and remove the artificial smoothness / bleeding of notes into each other. Once you hear the effect there is no going back.

From what I can see the Audioquest FMJ , seems to work in series (i.e has an output), and also works in parallel (non usb output mode). But I don’t know how effective it is.

Personally I have been rather impressed with the Telos usb dongles assuming you have a active usb port, the CAD is also good, but i think the telos beats it for approx 1/2 price ( well at least here in Australia).

Last edited:

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
I have now had the Network Acoustics TEMPUS SWITCH in my system to evaluate for over a week.
My set up:
Verizon Modem > Switch > runs of 15m to my two systems > Muon Pro Filter Systems > Server / Streamer Grimm MU1 > AES to Tambaqui.
> Eero Mesh Pro 6 and two streaming TV's wired from Verizon modem not main audio switch.

My current Switch is JCAT M12 Gold with Sean Jacobs AR6 power supply using 2m JCAT Gold LAN cables with the Telegartner screw connectors on the switch end. My long run of ethernet is the 22g Link-Up CAt 8 which bested my former Supra CAT 8

First, the Tempus is a thing of beauty. From the box, to the packaging, to the beautiful craftsmanship of both the switch and its included power supply, it screams quality.
Second, it sounds great. I let it play in for an entire week listening but not evaluating. Yesterday I spent hours comparing changes I could easily make. No, not any double blind testing. Just listening to about 6 songs, making the change, and listening again. Works for me.

I was trying to pick a clear winner, and could not. Both the M12 Gold and the Tempus sound great. But the M12 (now premier version) is just over $5000 without a power supply. The JCAT Optimo 3 duo LPS is about $1700. But I amusing a fully built Sean Jacobs DC4 AR6 power supply which is insanely good and equally expensive. I also use the JCAT gold 2m LAN cables which may add benefit as well. The Tempus, including its power supply is about $4200. I think this shows tremendous value comparatively.

I listened back and forth with each switch several times. They both truly sound great.

Next I investigated the recent info on direction of my MUON PRO Filter System. I have always had it as factory recommended. I reversed it and again listened to my batch of songs. At first, reversed sounded quite dynamic. But it did not take long to appreciate the smooth and spacious sound attributed to it inserted the original way. enough of that. I also tried removing the filter, but as always I missed it. I will say that the better you do upstream with a good switch and power supply diminish the effects of the Muon filter, but do not eliminate it.

My summary is that Rich at Network Acoustics has again designed and built a tremendous high end upgrade for streaming. Simply inserting his switch after your modem and before your streamer or server yields nice results. The Tempus is so much better than a standard switch, or the first level of upgrades I tried (EE Bonn 8) or the Etherregen.

Finally, and why not, I tried the M12 switch in front of the Tempus switch, in essence stacking switches. This was clearly the best, with soundstage expanding and speakers disappearing.

For those interested, my testing playlist: (all Qobuz streams)

Le Chat Noir, Philippe Chretien -The combo of smooth breathy sax and tight digital syncopation is amazing
Wishing Well, Buckethead - yes there is hiss here but I love the ambiance and spaciness of his guitar sounds
So Handsome Hello, Woodkid - So dynamic and gritty
Strange Fruit, Dominique Fils-Aime - She over dubs her voice several times in this song, and the better the sound the more distinct they all become, as well as distinct locations of her voices
Why Worry, Dire Straits - such a great recording
Liberty, Anette Askvik - voice, sounds, breathy sax
Chocolate chip Trip, Tool - I heard this at CAF in the CAT room in the total dark The soundstaging and movement of the music left and right, front and back is staggeringly interesting and amazing. The sounds travel well to the outside of each of my YG Haileys. Great song to remove something you think is helpful (like the switch) and listen to how the soundstage collapses.

Happy Holidays to All! Ken

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Hi Ken,

very interesting to hear - and it’s the same as I experienced the Tempus. My review is ready in a few days.
Can you post a link to your Qobuz playlist?

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
I have now had the Network Acoustics TEMPUS SWITCH in my system to evaluate for over a week.
My set up:
Verizon Modem > Switch > runs of 15m to my two systems > Muon Pro Filter Systems > Server / Streamer Grimm MU1 > AES to Tambaqui.
> Eero Mesh Pro 6 and two streaming TV's wired from Verizon modem not main audio switch.

My current Switch is JCAT M12 Gold with Sean Jacobs AR6 power supply using 2m JCAT Gold LAN cables with the Telegartner screw connectors on the switch end. My long run of ethernet is the 22g Link-Up CAt 8 which bested my former Supra CAT 8

First, the Tempus is a thing of beauty. From the box, to the packaging, to the beautiful craftsmanship of both the switch and its included power supply, it screams quality.
Second, it sounds great. I let it play in for an entire week listening but not evaluating. Yesterday I spent hours comparing changes I could easily make. No, not any double blind testing. Just listening to about 6 songs, making the change, and listening again. Works for me.

I was trying to pick a clear winner, and could not. Both the M12 Gold and the Tempus sound great. But the M12 (now premier version) is just over $5000 without a power supply. The JCAT Optimo 3 duo LPS is about $1700. But I amusing a fully built Sean Jacobs DC4 AR6 power supply which is insanely good and equally expensive. I also use the JCAT gold 2m LAN cables which may add benefit as well. The Tempus, including its power supply is about $4200. I think this shows tremendous value comparatively.

I listened back and forth with each switch several times. They both truly sound great.

Next I investigated the recent info on direction of my MUON PRO Filter System. I have always had it as factory recommended. I reversed it and again listened to my batch of songs. At first, reversed sounded quite dynamic. But it did not take long to appreciate the smooth and spacious sound attributed to it inserted the original way. enough of that. I also tried removing the filter, but as always I missed it. I will say that the better you do upstream with a good switch and power supply diminish the effects of the Muon filter, but do not eliminate it.

My summary is that Rich at Network Acoustics has again designed and built a tremendous high end upgrade for streaming. Simply inserting his switch after your modem and before your streamer or server yields nice results. The Tempus is so much better than a standard switch, or the first level of upgrades I tried (EE Bonn 8) or the Etherregen.

Finally, and why not, I tried the M12 switch in front of the Tempus switch, in essence stacking switches. This was clearly the best, with soundstage expanding and speakers disappearing.

For those interested, my testing playlist: (all Qobuz streams)

Le Chat Noir, Philippe Chretien -The combo of smooth breathy sax and tight digital syncopation is amazing
Wishing Well, Buckethead - yes there is hiss here but I love the ambiance and spaciness of his guitar sounds
So Handsome Hello, Woodkid - So dynamic and gritty
Strange Fruit, Dominique Fils-Aime - She over dubs her voice several times in this song, and the better the sound the more distinct they all become, as well as distinct locations of her voices
Why Worry, Dire Straits - such a great recording
Liberty, Anette Askvik - voice, sounds, breathy sax
Chocolate chip Trip, Tool - I heard this at CAF in the CAT room in the total dark The soundstaging and movement of the music left and right, front and back is staggeringly interesting and amazing. The sounds travel well to the outside of each of my YG Haileys. Great song to remove something you think is helpful (like the switch) and listen to how the soundstage collapses.

Happy Holidays to All! Ken
Hi Ken, it was great to read your findings.
Thanks for sharing.

Happy holidays....I forget that it's that time of the year because it's barmy weather season now in Australia, severe hot temperatures, hail the size of golf balls, cyclones, serious rain, bush fires...etc, etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing