New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Alright then.

Let's see if you guys remember this......

Who remembers the Toronto Maple Leafs AAA ball club that played at CNE Stadium. The club was owned by Jack Kent Cooke who also owned radio station CKEY and race horse Northern Dancer before he moved to LA and bought the Lakers and Kings only to sell and buy the Washington Redskins. Now that's a walk down memory lane

Wow! That's before my time moving to Toronto and taking an interest in the sports scene there.

Sad, but true!

However, first-round picks don't always work out anyway. There have been many players in all of the Big 4 that didn't like the team who picked them for a myriad of personal reasons. One of the worst examples was Eric Lindros who refused to play for the Quebec Nordiques and was then traded to the Philadelphia Flyers. He was one of the most highly touted players coming out of Junior in years, but he never lived up to the hype.

Well, he kinda did live up to it ... Eric was 7 time all-star, had some really big seasons in Philly. Ironic, he won the Bobby Clarke trophy 4 times, yet Bobby's book tells a very candid tale of who really was behind Eric's "problems".

That trade resulted in Quebec getting the better deal, soon when they moved to Colorado, they'd win the cup ... leaving the Flyers searching, since the broad street bully days ...

Well, he kinda did live up to it ... Eric was 7 time all-star, had some really big seasons in Philly. Ironic, he won the Bobby Clarke trophy 4 times, yet Bobby's book tells a very candid tale of who really was behind Eric's "problems".

That trade resulted in Quebec getting the better deal, soon when they moved to Colorado, they'd win the cup ... leaving the Flyers searching, since the broad street bully days ...

We all know who was behind the problem and it was handled poorly (to say the least). Word to the wise...DON'T have your parents as agents/decision makers.

To change the topic briefly as we are way OT .... IMO the defining moment that made the NHL great and brought the sport big time to the USA was when Gretsky left Edmonton and joined the Kings. From that time on he went in to shatter virtually every scoring record in the NHL at the time

I agree. Lindros was a star

T Bone. I am impressed. You need to hang out in this forum more often.

Where in Canada are you

Ontario currently ... big hockey fan, Davey Keon, Darryl Sittler, those were the days ... then lucky for me, I met this guy in high.school named Wayne.

Ontario currently ... big hockey fan, Davey Keon, Darryl Sittler, those were the days ... then lucky for me, I met this guy in high.school named Wayne.

When I was an intern at Toronto General Hospital one of my surgical profs was guy named Tate McPhedran who was the team doctor for the Leafs. I met Keon and Sittler Mahovlich and Johnny Bower

To change the topic briefly as we are way OT .... IMO the defining moment that made the NHL great and brought the sport big time to the USA was when Gretsky left Edmonton and joined the Kings. From that time on he went in to shatter virtually every scoring record in the NHL at the time
I agree. That was a monumental moment for hockey.

Let me counter and say : JC Tremblay (spin-o-rama), Le Gros Bill (Jean Beliveau), John "Gump" Worsley, Larry "Big Bird" Robinson...you know the rest! GO HABS GO!

best basketball player on the team, he didn't play on our school hockey team, for obvious reasons.

Can tell some awesome Wayne stories ...

as a young teen, he was seasoned, very disciplined, a man amongst us boys ... esp when it came to partying & girls. Destined, and truly a great guy.

IIRC he was born in Brantford. Is that where you are

yes, born there, but his minor hockey career would take him elsewhere, so high-schooled in Toronto. Right after his second year, he "graduated" to the now defunct WHA and became an instant millionaire. He still managed to come back to the school and visit his old buds tho ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing