New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well Magic was not going to let Michael have his Last Dance without having one of his own.....

Report: Magic Johnson feature documentary in the works
XTR, H.wood Media, NSV and Delirio Films collaborating with 'unprecedented access'
From NBA.com Staff

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/06/11/report-magic-johnson-documentary

To me, the one feat Magic stood out among the 'greats' was his rookie Finals game clinching performance, 42 points while playing center in the absence of Kareem. It took me years after the Lakers Celtics rivalry for me to truly appreciate that. I really feel that cliche 'I love to win' has none more evident in actual life than that.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
To me, the one feat Magic stood out among the 'greats' was his rookie Finals game clinching performance, 42 points while playing center in the absence of Kareem. It took me years after the Lakers Celtics rivalry for me to truly appreciate that. I really feel that cliche 'I love to win' has none more evident in actual life than that.
I was at that game

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Well Magic was not going to let Michael have his Last Dance without having one of his own.....

Report: Magic Johnson feature documentary in the works
XTR, H.wood Media, NSV and Delirio Films collaborating with 'unprecedented access'
From NBA.com Staff

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/06/11/report-magic-johnson-documentary
I really loved the Last Dance docu and even though is was never a fan of MJ or the Bulls, I have to appreciate their greatness.
I learned quite a lot I didn't know or realize back then and MJ really grew on me.
Most probably MJ is really one of, if not THE greatest who has ever played the game of Basketball!
Pity the docu did not cover MJs ownerships of the Wizards and the Hornets (he still owns?)... :rolleyes:

Magic Johnson's docu could be very interesting as well. I hope they also cover the darker sides like his HIV related issues he had to face.
I'm looking forward to this docu very much :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Christoph. I’m glad you watched The Last Dance. I thought it was one of the best sports documentaries I’ve ever seen
I loved the documentary a LOT :cool:
I was binge watching it :oops:
It was nice to remember things but for me also to get another view on MJ and the Bulls and I must admit that they really grew on me :eek:

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

I loved the documentary a LOT :cool:
I was binge watching it :oops:
It was nice to remember things but for me also to get another view on MJ and the Bulls and I must admit that they really grew on me :eek:
Me too. I never got to see him really play until they beat the Lakers in the finals. I knew then he was for real.
to me he is the GOAT

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

NBA gives teams, players more detailed schedule for restart
The league is still working on completing health and safety protocols
By Tim Reynolds | The Associated Press

The NBA gave teams a more definitive timetable for the restart to the pandemic-interrupted season Friday, including required coronavirus testing that is set to begin this month and mandatory individual workouts in early July before training camps.

The league is still working on completing the health and safety protocols that will essentially become the rulebook for the restart at the Disney campus near Orlando, Florida — and told teams that talks with the National Basketball Players Association on those issues are continuing.

Meanwhile, a person with direct knowledge of the talks said that Disney workers who will be on the campus during the NBA restart will have to follow a long list of protocols — including constant mask or other appropriate personal protective equipment usage when in the vicinity of any NBA participants or others there for the restart, strict social distancing guidelines and a submission to daily temperature checks and symptom self-assessments.

There are other requirements that will also apply to those working in housekeeping and food service, said the person, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because those details have not been revealed publicly. The NBPA has said player health and safety will be a top priority, and there are still many concerns about how things will work once teams arrive at Disney.

But with negotiations on many levels apparently far enough along to determine a schedule of sorts, the league gave teams the go-ahead to immediately start allowing two assistant coaches to deal with voluntary player workouts. The rule had been one coach with one player since teams were given the green light to re-open facilities for the voluntary workouts last month.

NBA head coaches can be one of those two coaches involved in the voluntary sessions starting June 23, though social distancing and other rules the league applied in response to the pandemic would still apply.

June 23 is significant in another way as well. That would be the first day players on the 22 teams that will be going to the Disney campus would be required to undergo coronavirus testing conducted by those teams.

The league also said it is still working on plans for the eight teams — Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Golden State, Minnesota and New York — that will not be part of the restart at Disney. Those teams can keep their facilities open for now for voluntary workouts until told otherwise.

The rest of the league’s timetable, as of now and with the caveat that it is still considered tentative until the health protocols are done and agreements with Disney are signed, includes:

July 1 through July 7, 8 or 9 — Required individual workouts for players on the 22 participating teams, with the end date coinciding with which day that team would arrive at the Disney campus.

July 7, 8 and 9 — Arrivals at the Disney campus in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.

July 9-29 — Team training camps at Disney, which would follow initial health and safety screenings upon arrival.

July 21 or 22 — Start date for three intersquad scrimmages for each team. The scrimmages will be scheduled by the NBA and will have NBA referees.

July 30-August 14 — Seeding games at Disney. Games will resume. The NBA is still working on completing the schedule for those eight games per team, and the matchups will be based on regular-season games that remained when the league suspended play on March 11.

Aug. 15-16 — The two-game play-in series to determine the No. 8 seed in each conference, if necessary. The series would be necessary if the team in ninth place in either conference when the seeding games end is within four games of the No. 8 team. A best-of-two series would be played, with the ninth-place team needing to go 2-0 in those games to earn a playoff berth. Otherwise, the No. 8 team would take that seed and move into the conference quarterfinals.

Aug. 17 — Playoffs begin. This date would move up to Aug. 15 or 16 if the play-in series are unnecessary. The playoffs are all scheduled as traditional best-of-seven series.

Aug. 30 — A limited number of family members and guests of remaining teams will be permitted to arrive at Disney for the first time. They would stay on the Disney property. They will not be permitted until this point in the schedule.

Aug. 31-Sept. 13 — Conference semifinals.

Sept. 15-28 — Conference finals.

Sept. 30-Oct. 13 — NBA Finals. The league originally planned an Oct. 12 end date, though that has now been adjusted.

Just in time for the start of the next season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Reactions: christoph and WLVCA

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
It turns out that Kyrie is against playing, and I was about to link it to his flat earth comments then I saw he is the Vice President of the Players Union.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...mid-protests-heres-what-some-stars-have-said/

Kyrie is one of those guys that is always going to take a contentious position. He has been a problem child everywhere he's played. In my mind he doesn't have a lot of credibility but I don't know how he is perceived by other NBA players.

Dwight Howard is also against playing. He at least cleaned up his reputation with good play this season for the Lakers.

Lou Williams (Clippers) also came out against playing. Clipper fans love Lou but he isn't a big name in the grand scheme of things NBA.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Kyrie is one of those guys that is always going to take a contentious position. He has been a problem child everywhere he's played. In my mind he doesn't have a lot of credibility but I don't know how he is perceived by other NBA players.

Dwight Howard is also against playing. He at least cleaned up his reputation with good play this season for the Lakers.

Lou Williams (Clippers) also came out against playing. Clipper fans love Lou but he isn't a big name in the grand scheme of things NBA.

Maybe Silver needs to take a roll call on the players of these 22 teams to know for sure who is in or who is not. Apparently, despite the one on one agreement with the players union president CP3, all players can still choose not to play. Florida has just recorded it single day record for new cases. And we are still in mid-June. So many plans and detailed numbered down by Silver, and this can come down as a tournament playing with a lot of missing teeth.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Steve Williams

Lakers players say there's still time to 'figure things out' ahead of restart

Lakers say there is 'no divide' among team (1:22)

Dave McMenaminESPN Staff Writer
LOS ANGELES -- After Friday's NBA players' group call revealed just how adamant a faction of the league is against resuming the season in Orlando, Florida, next month, members of the Los Angeles Lakers insist that ample time remains to get their team on the same page.
"[There's] no divide," one Lakers player told ESPN.
"Still have some time to figure things out as a league and as a team," another Lakers player told ESPN.
Among the dissenting voices on the call that featured nearly 100 players were Lakers backup center Dwight Howard and starting shooting guard Avery Bradley, sources told ESPN. Brooklyn Nets guard Kyrie Irving was a driving influence on the call.

no comments were made about Dwight not playing

Steve Williams

at least the NBA has the blessing of Dr Fauci.....

Dr. Anthony Fauci, nation's top infectious disease expert, supports NBA's restart plan
From NBA Twitter and media reports

The nation's leading expert on infectious diseases said that he approves of the NBA's restart plan, calling it "quite creative" and a possible blueprint for other professional sports leagues to follow.

"I think they might very well be quite successful with it," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Stadium. "They really wanted to make sure that the safety of the players was paramount."

Fauci's comments came after reports surfaced of some players being concerned and debating whether the proposed July 31 restart date for the 2019-20 season in a quarantined environment in Orlando -- without fan attendance -- would be in the overall best interests of players. In addition to safety concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic, some players say a restart would distract from social justice efforts just as momentum for police reform is gaining traction. Many players have been active in protests in the wake of the killing of George Floyd, who died after a police officer kept his knee on his neck for almost nine minutes

And players are concerned about three months of being sequestered from family and friends.

The National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) has approved further negotiations with the league on the proposed restart but has not given its final approval.

The NBA plan calls for 22 teams to play eight regular-season games at Disney World in Orlando, with everyone involved being tested for the virus and quarantined. Then the playoffs would extend into early October.

Said Fauci: "I actually have looked at that plan. ... What they are really trying to do is to create a situation where it is as safe as it possibly could be for the players by creating this bubble. Essentially testing everybody, make sure that you start with a baseline of everybody being negative and trying to make sure that there is no influx into that cohort of individuals and do a tournament-type play."

Reactions: christoph and jadis

Steve Williams

and now you hear the rest of the story....

New NBA coalition voicing concerns of players
  • Adrian Wojnarowski
  • Malika Andrews

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=29315855

As a growing faction of NBA players remains uncertain about committing to the league's plan for restarting the season in an Orlando bubble environment, a coalition of players including Brooklyn Nets All-Star Kyrie Irving and the Los Angeles Lakers' Avery Bradley believes it has a responsibility to take on a leading role in exploring answers and solutions for fellow players the group believes to be justifiably reluctant to speak for themselves, sources told ESPN.

The coalition of players pursuing a further examination of the NBA's plan to restart the season in Orlando delivered a statement to ESPN on Monday describing its thought processes and motivations.

Irving and Bradley, two of a number of veteran players who have taken expanded roles in organizing player conference calls in the past week, believe they're providing a voice for those players who fear retribution if they openly voice their concerns, sources told ESPN.

Irving, Bradley and the coalition of players want to pursue some concerns further with the league, sources said, including: the investment of resources and ideas of all league constituencies -- from the commissioner's office, ownership level, management and the players' association -- in social justice reform.

Among concerns surrounding the league's return to play after a three-month shutdown in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, sources said the coalition is citing: a surge in positive coronavirus cases in Florida, conditions surrounding the restrictive environment in the bubble, insurance and liabilities for players based on possible illnesses, and injuries in a truncated finish to the season.

In a statement to ESPN shared by leaders of the coalition of players, the group described itself as a movement working to unite NBA players and those well beyond the limits of the league's structure.

"We are a group of men and women from different teams and industries that are normally painted as opponents, but have put our egos and differences aside to make sure we stand united and demand honesty during this uncertain time," the coalition said.

"Native indigenous African Caribbean men and women entertaining the world, we will continue to use our voices and platforms for positive change and truth.

"We are truly at an inflection point in history where as a collective community, we can band together -- UNIFY -- and move as one. We need all our people with us and we will stand together in solidarity.

"As an oppressed community we are going on 500-plus years of being systemically targeted, used for our IP [intellectual property]/Talent, and also still being killed by the very people that are supposed to 'protect and serve' us.

"WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH!

"We are combating the issues that matter most: We will not accept the racial injustices that continue to be ignored in our communities. We will not be kept in the dark when it comes to our health and well-being. And we will not ignore the financial motivations/expectations that have prevented us historically from making sound decisions.

"This is not about individual players, athletes or entertainers. This is about our group of strong men and women uniting for change. We have our respective fields, however, we will not just shut up and play to distract us from what this whole system has been about: Use and Abuse.

"We are all fathers, daughters, leaders and so much more. So what is our BIG picture? We are in this for UNITY and CHANGE!"

The player calls have included members of the WNBA and entertainment industry, and there has been discussion within the group about representing more than just voices in sports and the public eye -- but those in oppressed black communities throughout the country.

Irving and Bradley were among the organizers of a Monday call that included 40 players and a Friday call that included closer to 100, sources said. The Monday call included 1968 U.S. bronze medalist John Carlos sharing his perspective on social justice then and now, sources said.

Irving, an elected vice president in the NBPA, was part of the union's ratification vote on June 5 that approved the league's plan for a 22-team restart in Orlando. He's out for the season with shoulder surgery.

The NBA and NBPA have been in contact with the players to get a better understanding of how they can work together to address issues and try to find common ground on getting as many players as possible to rejoin their teams this month, sources said.

Reactions: christoph and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing