jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
More on Doc's firing

As Shakespeare wrote, "parting is such sweet sorrow"

Doc Rivers out as LA Clippers coach after 7 seasons
Tim Reynolds | The Associated Press

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/09/28/doc-rivers-out-head-coach-la-clippers

Mike, IMO I am happy that D'Antoni is going to the Sixers because as a long time coach, if he were available it could have been possible to see D'Antoni back in LA, this time for the Clippers. You know I'm not a Clippers fan but with D'Antoni at the helm and PG and Kawhi free agents in a year, anything could happen with him at the helm
Steve, I read a report that D'Antoni being in Philly can lure Harden to the Sixers. Maybe for Simmons or Embiid. Embiid will not be able to endure the run and gun style of DA. :D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Clippers' high-stakes plan to replace Doc Rivers has to hit

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29996617/the-clippers-high-stakes-plan-replace-doc-rivers-hit

"Rivers got more leeway than the average coach because he was anything but the average coach. But frankly, his playoff results had been average long enough for that grace period to expire."

"There were whiffs of speculation that Rivers' job might be in trouble after the Nuggets series, but often it came back to the same bottom line: whether Ballmer had it in him. That answer should've been known. Ballmer is used to winning. He just got done winning a multiyear fight with James Dolan that will clear the way for him to build a new arena in Inglewood."

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Acrimony runs high between Riley and LeBron.....The game behind the game..........

NBA Finals: The storylines and stats that matter ahead of Lakers-Heat
ESPN.com

There aren't many days that go by during the NBA season when LeBron James doesn't use lessons he learned during his four years with the Miami Heat.

One has proven to be the most important: Keep the main thing the main thing.

It is one of the core tenets that Heat president Pat Riley has preached for years, and it's one that James holds dear. Even with his growing media company, his charity work in his hometown of Akron, Ohio, his activism and his love of fine wine, James never lets himself forget the main thing: chasing championships.

The main thing is here: Heat vs. Lakers in the NBA Finals.

The Riley-James dynamic, which essentially is the Heat-James dynamic, is complex.

James has two rings with Heat logos, he accepted two MVP trophies at AmericanAirlines Arena, and he probably will have No. 6 retired by the franchise someday. He credits Riley and the Heat not only for teaching him to become a champion but also for helping shape his world view.

Yet when they broke up in 2014, Riley was furious, and James was offended. Although James felt a pull to go home to Cleveland more than he felt a desire to leave Miami, there wasn't much room for nuance.

"I saw a dynasty fly out the window," Riley told ESPN four years later. "I knew that was a 10-year team. I wanted that dynasty."

James was turned off by the attitude the Heat took when he left and by something that was said to him.

"When I decided to leave Miami ... there were some people that I trusted and built relationships with in those four years [who] told me I was making the biggest mistake of my career," James said the night he won a title with the Cavs in 2016. "And that right there was my motivation."

James never said who it was, though many assumed it was Riley. They had an acrimonious phone call shortly before he made his announcement. Riley denied saying it. Either way, Riley took a major swipe at James several months after he left when he said the team had rid itself of players who had "smiling faces with hidden agendas."

They didn't communicate for years until Riley sent James a text the night of the 2016 title. James did not reply.

The truth is the philosophies of the Heat and of James ran so very close then and now. They are both obsessed with the nature of winning, a process that unfolds every day of every season, in which glory is earned just as much in the mundane discipline of routine as in the arena.

Both operate with a militaristic ethos, in which teammates are considered a band of brothers and are to be held to extreme accountability. Both believe in a family culture but have no problem casting aside a piece or two if it improves the chances of winning.

They are so much alike that perhaps they were never meant to stay together.

In nine playoff runs with the Cavs, James never met the Heat. In his first playoff run with Los Angeles, he will play his old team for the first time with the highest stakes.

Revenge isn't really covered in the "main thing" doctrine in these Finals. James is playing for legacy and in honor of Kobe Bryant. The Heat are trying to show that their culture wins over all and show off as a drawing card for free agents in the future.

But revenge won't be that far from the surface, either.

Reactions: christoph and jadis

Steve Williams

Steve, I read a report that D'Antoni being in Philly can lure Harden to the Sixers. Maybe for Simmons or Embiid. Embiid will not be able to endure the run and gun style of DA. :D
intersting. Do the Rockets then become Westbrook's team or will he move on as well

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
intersting. Do the Rockets then become Westbrook's team or will he move on as well
In the last playoffs, Westbrook was worse than Harden. He's like a runaway freight train.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Acrimony runs high between Riley and LeBron.....The game behind the game..........

NBA Finals: The storylines and stats that matter ahead of Lakers-Heat
ESPN.com

There aren't many days that go by during the NBA season when LeBron James doesn't use lessons he learned during his four years with the Miami Heat.

One has proven to be the most important: Keep the main thing the main thing.

It is one of the core tenets that Heat president Pat Riley has preached for years, and it's one that James holds dear. Even with his growing media company, his charity work in his hometown of Akron, Ohio, his activism and his love of fine wine, James never lets himself forget the main thing: chasing championships.

The main thing is here: Heat vs. Lakers in the NBA Finals.

The Riley-James dynamic, which essentially is the Heat-James dynamic, is complex.

James has two rings with Heat logos, he accepted two MVP trophies at AmericanAirlines Arena, and he probably will have No. 6 retired by the franchise someday. He credits Riley and the Heat not only for teaching him to become a champion but also for helping shape his world view.

Yet when they broke up in 2014, Riley was furious, and James was offended. Although James felt a pull to go home to Cleveland more than he felt a desire to leave Miami, there wasn't much room for nuance.

"I saw a dynasty fly out the window," Riley told ESPN four years later. "I knew that was a 10-year team. I wanted that dynasty."

James was turned off by the attitude the Heat took when he left and by something that was said to him.

"When I decided to leave Miami ... there were some people that I trusted and built relationships with in those four years [who] told me I was making the biggest mistake of my career," James said the night he won a title with the Cavs in 2016. "And that right there was my motivation."

James never said who it was, though many assumed it was Riley. They had an acrimonious phone call shortly before he made his announcement. Riley denied saying it. Either way, Riley took a major swipe at James several months after he left when he said the team had rid itself of players who had "smiling faces with hidden agendas."

They didn't communicate for years until Riley sent James a text the night of the 2016 title. James did not reply.

The truth is the philosophies of the Heat and of James ran so very close then and now. They are both obsessed with the nature of winning, a process that unfolds every day of every season, in which glory is earned just as much in the mundane discipline of routine as in the arena.

Both operate with a militaristic ethos, in which teammates are considered a band of brothers and are to be held to extreme accountability. Both believe in a family culture but have no problem casting aside a piece or two if it improves the chances of winning.

They are so much alike that perhaps they were never meant to stay together.

In nine playoff runs with the Cavs, James never met the Heat. In his first playoff run with Los Angeles, he will play his old team for the first time with the highest stakes.

Revenge isn't really covered in the "main thing" doctrine in these Finals. James is playing for legacy and in honor of Kobe Bryant. The Heat are trying to show that their culture wins over all and show off as a drawing card for free agents in the future.

But revenge won't be that far from the surface, either.
For once, I will relax and watch this drama unfolds. I'm choosing the less of 2 'dislikes'. :)

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

In the last playoffs, Westbrook was worse than Harden. He's like a runaway freight train.
He, harden and Chris Paul seem destined to never win a ring

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Phil Jackson has been mentioned as a head coach for the Clippers. He's one of the all time greats but at 75 don't think he would want or could do the job. His stint with the Knicks didn't go well either.

Tyronn Lue seems to be the obvious choice since he is already there and knows the players. Clippers are in win now mode so best to plug an experienced hand into the job.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Under normal circumstances I'd be the one promoting a young, up and coming coach for the Clippers.

Toornto made a great choice when they went with Nick Nurse. Wes Unseld, Jr,. the Denver assistant, seems to be the hot new head coaching prospect this time around.

The Clippers have had two weeks already to mull this over since the Denver series ened..

So, seems to me one of two things happened - or maybe two out of two.

They knew they would fire Doc but wanted to do it the right way - they let him go while there were openings around the league for head coaches to give him the best shot at landing on his feet.

And/Or -

They have already made up their mind about a new coach so the timing dovetailed nicely.

That and $1.29 will buy you a spicy chicken sandwich at McDonalds. ;)

Reactions: jadis and christoph

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Regarding players for the Clippers, J Will on one of the ESPN morning shows said the guy they need is Chris Paul.

He is a vocal leader - Kawhi is not.

He is reliable and clutch when the game is on the line - Paul George is not.

At first that seemed absurd to me - but maybe it isn't.

CP3 has two issues - he's 35 years old and he makes $40 million a year.

Can't do anything about his age - and he played well this year.

Money isnt a problem for Steve Ballmer.

....not that I'm recommending it but it was an interesting idea

Reactions: jadis and christoph

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I'm going to turn off the TV now since every show is analyzing the Clippers and what they should do next. :)

Reactions: jadis

Steve Williams

For me the X factor on the Clipps is Kawhi. He’s a sullen, quiet face down person who never cozies up to anyone nor does he ever say what’s on his mind. To me he has no allegiance to any team. He’s a journeyman with a sole desire to win rings. To be his team mate IMO is a double edged sword.

Steve Williams

Steve Williams

How the Doc Rivers and LA Clippers partnership fell apart

another great read.....

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29996884/how-doc-rivers-clippers-partnership-fell-apart

"Ballmer consulted with Frank, minority shareholder Dennis Wong and consultant Jerry West. Before a final decision was made, sources said Ballmer called several key players -- including George and Leonard -- to get their opinions. Nothing the players told him, sources said, changed Ballmer's mind about moving on from Rivers. Ultimately, the decision to part ways with Rivers was Ballmer's"

"Rivers believed the team was undone by a lack of chemistry and leadership. They needed more time together than the handful of games they played at full strength as Leonard and George worked their way back from injuries and slowly integrated into the grittier team that had overachieved the year before. And he believed they were finding that identity, right before the season stopped due to the COVID-19 pandemic."

The biggest issue, however, was the team's collective spirit.

When Rivers retraced and analyzed what went wrong with Ballmer, these are the issues he focused on. His plan for next season involved staffing changes, schematic adjustments and improved chemistry from another year of playing together. He also believed they needed a true point guard to help organize their offense.

For Ballmer, the questions were different: Why was there a lack of leadership? Why was the chemistry lacking? Why were players so unenthusiastic about playing in the bubble?

Steve Williams

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Regarding players for the Clippers, J Will on one of the ESPN morning shows said the guy they need is Chris Paul.

He is a vocal leader - Kawhi is not.

He is reliable and clutch when the game is on the line - Paul George is not.

At first that seemed absurd to me - but maybe it isn't.

CP3 has two issues - he's 35 years old and he makes $40 million a year.

Can't do anything about his age - and he played well this year.

Money isnt a problem for Steve Ballmer.

....not that I'm recommending it but it was an interesting idea
Re CP3, I actually like the guy. Hardworking and professional and not a wayward truck type like Westbrook. His circus shot at the end of game 7 in 2015 against the defending champions Spurs has forever impressed in my mind as the toughest clutch shot I have seen in a long long time. Almost like that Magic Johnson baby sky hook over McHale to win a Finals game. CP3 has spunk and is a court general.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
this one even bothers me.............

LeBron James is forcing us to relitigate the GOAT discussion of Michael Jordan ... again

Ben Rohrbach,Yahoo Sports

https://sports.yahoo.com/lebron-jam...ussion-of-michael-jordan-again-164213913.html
First of all, I would like to blame Paul Pierce for lighting up LeBron. Paul should know by now that Lebron feeds on media fire and any pronouncements that he is washed out. He should remember that 41 point he and LeBron had in one Miami game in the ECF, when the media proclaimed LeBron a choker for being down 2-3 with 2 games next in Boston. He scored 45 the next game and Miami won in 7. And Paul said after the Blazer's game 1 win, that he doesn't want to hear any more LeBron goat talk if the Blazers win the series. And look at where James is now.

I have never been a fan of GOAT talks because there was none when I grew up with the game in the 70s into the late 80s. And there were great players, but players then won a title for the team, the the world heralded the team, not the great players who won them. I only recall Jabbar as the dominant player in the 70s and he won only 1 title but I recall the likes of Wilt, Wes Unseld, Willis Reed, Jerry West, Havlicek, Cowens, Sikma, Barry, and Walton. There were no goat talks, the closest I recall was the 100 point game of Wilt. So fast forward to Jordan and I had mentioned why I didn't consider him GOAT (without watching his series) and now to revive the goat talk for LeBron's case IF he wins this one, to me is only for the Lebron fan boys like Shannon Sharpe and Colin Cowherd. A GOAT who moves to teams that were built as contenders, like Miami? And a GOAT who have his coach fired and acted as GM by pressuring management to trade Wiggins for Love (now that his eye candy PG Irving was already in Cleveland). A GOAT whom Magic Johnson was so enamored that he waited early in his car outside the home of James? I can take that, IF and only IF James played with the existing team roster created by the GM of the Lakers. Lonzo, Ingram, and Hart and bagged a title. So what happened, groin injury? Yeah, blame that. Because he can say he wasn't there and they didn't make the playoffs because of that. But the coup d'grace was this grand scheme in the mind of the Goat wannabe in orchestrating the documented landing of AD with this male moll Rich Paul into his team. So why does this so called great have to do that? Because AD is an unstoppable 30ppg, 10rpg guy. So who is really doing the work here? That he can now score 38 points in a closing game is the figure in the fog, because his game is the mental game. With AD in my bedside, I perform better, specially when his team is ahead. No pressure. That is his mindset. Can't Ingram (most improved player) and Lonzo not do 25 points among themselves? Maybe, but Lebron wins the psy war game, not just the physical game. To call him a candidate for GOAT is not only worrisome and bothersome, but a total total shame to the game we love. Was it a coincidence that he wore an Ultimate Warrrior WWE shirt in his parade speech after the Kyrie shot made him another ring? He is a grand disciple of Vince McMahon, I cannot see otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and WLVCA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing