New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As an aside did you see the ESPN documentary on Michael Jordan. It easily convinced me he is the true "GOAT"

I did not , Steve. My brother was egging me to watch on it's initial release but I told him I'm a Bird/Magic fan, not a Jordan fan. :) It may be because I grew up in the Bird/Magic/Kareem era and Jordan's Bulls never figured atop of Boston and LA. My personal view re MJ being the GOAT is that he never faced a team of Boston and LA's caliber and won. The counter-argument I know is that he had no talents around him the first 6 years, but Magic won in his first year with Kareem absent and he scored 42 points as center in the title clinching game against a powerful Sixers team. And Bird won in his 2nd year with more unheralded names like Chris Ford and Cedric Maxwell in the starting 5 and a real tiny PG named Tiny Archibald in his waning years. Anyway, that's just my own view, and I know there are many many people out there who consider him the GOAT. And for that, I will take him as GOAT any day over LeBron.:D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I did not , Steve. My brother was egging me to watch on it's initial release but I told him I'm a Bird/Magic fan, not a Jordan fan. :) It may be because I grew up in the Bird/Magic/Kareem era and Jordan's Bulls never figured atop of Boston and LA. My personal view re MJ being the GOAT is that he never faced a team of Boston and LA's caliber and won. The counter-argument I know is that he had no talents around him the first 6 years, but Magic won in his first year with Kareem absent and he scored 42 points as center in the title clinching game against a powerful Sixers team. And Bird won in his 2nd year with more unheralded names like Chris Ford and Cedric Maxwell in the starting 5 and a real tiny PG named Tiny Archibald in his waning years. Anyway, that's just my own view, and I know there are many many people out there who consider him the GOAT. And for that, I will take him as GOAT any day over LeBron.:D

watch the documentary Phil. I felt the same about Jordan but watching the documentary convinced me he is the true GOAT

Reactions: christoph and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
All the reports keep saying that it would be a record for James if he wins his 4th ring playing for a 3rd franchise

Personally I have more respect for the players who won 4 rings playing for the same team

I've said before that I feel LeBron and Kawhi are journeymen ring hunters as I cannot associate either of them with any team
Absolutely my feelings, Steve. So there we have Magic, Bird, Duncan, Jordan, etc. I'm fine with Kareem because he moved only once. :D And he was my boyhood idol when I started to play the game in Grade school, only problem is, he played for rival teams of the C's - Bucks and Lakers. :eek:

Reactions: Steve Williams

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
watch the documentary Phil. I felt the same about Jordan but watching the documentary convinced me he is the true GOAT
I'll try, one of these days. :)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I see this NBA Finals as a true grudge series BUT not one between Miami and the Lakers or between LeBron and Butler but rather I see this series as one for all ages....between the drill sergeant Pat Riley and the self anointed King , LeBron James against his old boss Pat Riley

LeBron's return to "South Beach" (well the bubble) will be one of his biggest challenges as he understands what the result will be to his legacy if the Lakers lose
Well, if I remember correctly, he promised not only Riley, but a whole bunch of Heat fans in their arena presentation, not 1, not 2 not 3, not 4.....not 8....:D And he bolted at 2. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Steve Williams

Whatever the outcome is, I must admit that I have been thoroughly entertained and enjoyed these games under the bubble. There are many emerging soon to be great contenders in the league. I look forward to watching the Mavs, Nuggs, Heat, Utah etc all of whom proved to have potential with their young stars

As to Phil and Christoph, I honestly feel that this is LeBron and Lakersbest and last chance at a ring for many years to come unless they find a way to bolster their bench. The same goes for the Clipps who were the proclaimed favorites as was Milwaukee, only to lose badly in the playoffs. Clipps have a lot of work to do. They need to send Kawhi to take a Dale Carnegie course on How to win friends and influence people

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Lebron is the king of his own self motivation. After his first year loss to Dirk and the Mavericks, there was talk of his moose in the headlight syndrome and that Miami would get a counselor or sorts to help him get over it. When he did, he did go much further in getting his coaches fired and pressure owners to trade for players he liked or deemed fit for his playing style. His best motivation is to hear that he's washed up and a choker. :D So now he is proving them critics wrong again. How bout the entry of Jason Kidd, JR Smith into his team, he seems inspired with what he gets. And how lucky can JR be, in line for yet another ring, when guys like Barkley, Ewing and Karl Malone have none in their whole career.

Steve Williams

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Just saw that Doc was fired. It was time.

Always respected Doc and still do....but the finish to this season was a disaster.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sad but expected ending for Doc. Maybe he should have stayed as GM and gave up the coaching job to Franks, who now has that job. Even Doc's son Austin has his career spiral, can't hit a shot and maybe good only in 1 out of 20 games.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Just saw that Doc was fired. It was time.

Always respected Doc and still do....but the finish to this season was a disaster.
I completely agree with you and Steve and Phil in this regard.
It took the Clipps long enough :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: jadis

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:eek:
Wow, that is a stunt not even the traveling, cheating, self declared king can pull off :p
Well at least not this year but maybe he can add that to his repertoire of shenanigans :rolleyes:
Haha. Never count out the self proclaimed king of self motivation in creating his illegal and selfish antics. He can easily out do himself in this regard. I mean which player in the entire history of basketball has ever snatched a top player of AD's caliber from a binding contract with his existing team via the machinations this best buddy Rich Paul? LeBum did it. :eek:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am just boggled by the fact that in the 2015 Rockets series meltdown and this Nuggets one, ALL the shooting arms of the Clippers then and now failed miserably. Is that the fault of Doc. :D Ice cold shooting, for 3 games straight? How often does that happen? That PG shot from the right side that hit the edge of the backboard typifies that phenomenon. I'm pretty sure if he shoots from the spot 20 times next day, it wouldn't be that way. :) On the other hand, that Josh Smith, whom no team wanted anymore at that time and was picked by by the Rockets, kept drilling 3s, almost with his eyes closed. o_O I still believe by and large, Doc gets the axe because as a coach he should know what to do to stem such tide, but it's easier said than done. Brad couldn't stop a rookie from scoring 37 points in an ECF game either. :D

Steve Williams

More on Doc's firing

As Shakespeare wrote, "parting is such sweet sorrow"

Doc Rivers out as LA Clippers coach after 7 seasons
Tim Reynolds | The Associated Press

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/09/28/doc-rivers-out-head-coach-la-clippers

Mike, IMO I am happy that D'Antoni is going to the Sixers because as a long time coach, if he were available it could have been possible to see D'Antoni back in LA, this time for the Clippers. You know I'm not a Clippers fan but with D'Antoni at the helm and PG and Kawhi free agents in a year, anything could happen with him at the helm

Reactions: jadis and christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing