New cartridge

monty68

Dec 18, 2022
Hi,

My Dynavector XX2 died after the cantilever snapped through over enthusiastic house cleaning (not by me!).

Looking for a comparable but hopefully better replacement and in pole position at the moment thinking of the VDH Frog.

Table is TW Acustic AC1 with SME V arm going through an Ayre Px5e phono.

What suggestions would you give, and budget wise, I'm not prepared to go into the stratospheric priced carts.

Thanks!

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
The vdH Frog Gold is nice. I also quite like the Stein Music Aventurin 6 (https://steinmusic.com/vinyl/aventurin-6-cartridge/) at a bit higher price.

Heads up I'm a dealer for both vdH and Stein, so take what I say with an appropriate amount of salt. I'm also a dealer for TW Acustic and have first hand experience with both on TW turntables.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: monty68

Serenade

Nov 30, 2022
I was a XX1, XX2, XX2mk2 user. Also on a SME V arm. Then I went on to use ZYX, VdH Crimson, Transfig Proteus, EMT JSD5. I will say that the ZYX lower range MC is the sweet spot. Does everything better than the XX2, but does not cost much more.

Of course the Crimson, EMTs, most costly ZYXs sound even better. But you have to pay a lot more to get a bit more than the ZYX Airy range.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing