New Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2-V2

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Paul- I just bought the lx2!!!! should be here next week- I am thinking of the 040 dac- can not here it locally- so need your advice- Since 90 % of my music is redbook are you sure I am not going to miss the 192 bit in the music-- I do prefer a more analog sound - I was thinking of just getting a simple dsd dac like the chord or mytek to have if I want to try the dsd downloads to my server- also what cables do you recommend for this unit- thanks so much for the advice!!

Pics would be nice!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Likewise on feet, I tend to use a simple turned stainless footer, retro fit table on the newer style casework. We tried various aftermarket footers under the pre and DAC, with varying degrees of success, but have not yet used the hrs nimbus that seem to be popular here..
The supplied feet are intended to be temporary hence being easily removable, I'll post a pic of the feet I use in the morning..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Likewise on feet, I tend to use a simple turned stainless footer, retro fit table on the newer style casework. We tried various aftermarket footers under the pre and DAC, with varying degrees of success, but have not yet used the hrs nimbus that seem to be popular here..
The supplied feet are intended to be temporary hence being easily removable, I'll post a pic of the feet I use in the morning..

Great!...having looked at the interior shots which also show the thickness of the metal, I also think the double-thickness HRS large damper or the Artesania damper could potentially be excellent as well.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
You could be spot on Lloyd, I'm about to test some dampers using the same idea behind the isolation plinth we discussed offline which is now in production as a full system rack, and all the little extra's I'm sure will help..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You could be spot on Lloyd, I'm about to test some dampers using the same idea behind the isolation plinth we discussed offline which is now in production as a full system rack, and all the little extra's I'm sure will help..

Great stuff...look forward to your findings. Both the hrs dampers and to a small degree more, the Artesania dampers seem to still shimmer, and as a result, the signal seems to concentrate, solidify. Weights alone do not do this. But heavy weight (20-28kg or 44-60 lbs) applied on top of one of these dampers has done this quite successfully on amp and sub in my system.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Same here. After some experimentation, I have 'isolation sandwiches' for each of my components...8 in total...even my amp and sub. For source/pre, HRS M3 or nimbus/couplers underneath and HRS/Artesania dampers on top. For sub and amp, Auralex isolation platforms underneath, and a combination of Artesania/Stillpoints Ultra 5s on top...with a 45-60lb (20-28kg) granite block on top of the damper for a dense weight to help the damper block out further vibration.

The result has been a tremendously reduced noise floor, a far more solid image...and fortunately the tonal sweetness of my system which I prize so highly...has not only been maintained but it has been intensified presumably due to the denser images. I feel like I hear more of the voice that the system was originally designed to play.

Slight change: Instead of polished granite which was taking longer to source, I found a manufacturer who produces scale weights for scientific use...and got 3 2nd-hand solid brass (10kg) 22-pound weights...high polished and quite beautiful...for 80% off...each now on top of a Stillpoint Ultra 5 on top of the sub...finally no rattles even at high bass volume!!!...with a 20kg (44-pound) one resting on Artesania damper on top of the Gryphon).

Last edited:

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
Has anyone gotten the battery update to the Con> Fid. DAC- Paul raves about it just curious as to any other feedback before i plunk down another $4000!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hey Bebop,

As yet there are only a small quantity of BD versions built, (I'll check how many today) but Powder1 added a post to the Audiogon thread with his impressions, but you may have read it? Teajay also is about to try the upgrade as a comparison too, I'm sure he will add his finding's when he is ready..;)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Bump

Any more updates/users of this preamp, Concert Fidelity CF-080-LSX2-V2.

I'm very curious....

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Bump

I'm very curious....

Hey Joe, how are you? Long time no hear. Anyways, still have mine. Trouble free and still tube rolling. Favorite still is the Mullard cv4003. I love this pre!

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Bump

I'm very curious....

Hi Joe,

I got mine updated by Tsuda-san with some new boards ( it think apart from 1 or 2 he changed all of them) and upgrades to the volume control probably 6-9 months ago.

He said it was the final step in refinement and upgrade possible to this pre-amp. He knew of nothing more that he could do to make it any better. It was the final chapter.

From what I heard the first minute that I placed it into the system was the extension on the top end. Just brilliant. All the smaller clicks that were present in the volume control when turning it just disappeared. More darker backgrounds.

I was so satisfied and glad I took the step.

Reactions: jelt2359

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Yes, it still is a great pre, very very transparent. What output tubes are you using in your Neville?

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Yes, it still is a great pre, very very transparent. What output tubes are you using in your Neville?

G'day Paul,

Having tried quite a few, I finally settled in using the Phillips SQ ECC186 for the output stage.

Best
Neville

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Jim,

Doing well, thank you. So happy you like the CF pre. I've been reading about them and like what I see.

Hey Joe, how are you? Long time no hear. Anyways, still have mine. Trouble free and still tube rolling. Favorite still is the Mullard cv4003. I love this pre!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you so much for your opinion. I am sure it's wonderful. I am thinking about demoing one.

Hi Joe,

I got mine updated by Tsuda-san with some new boards ( it think apart from 1 or 2 he changed all of them) and upgrades to the volume control probably 6-9 months ago.

He said it was the final step in refinement and upgrade possible to this pre-amp. He knew of nothing more that he could do to make it any better. It was the final chapter.

From what I heard the first minute that I placed it into the system was the extension on the top end. Just brilliant. All the smaller clicks that were present in the volume control when turning it just disappeared. More darker backgrounds.

I was so satisfied and glad I took the step.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Would you consider this preamp on the warmer or cooler side of neutral? I am looking for a single ended preamp and my preference is for a little warmth/sweetness.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Would you consider this preamp on the warmer or cooler side of neutral? I am looking for a single ended preamp and my preference is for a little warmth/sweetness.

In my opinion, it is neither cool or warm. It is a mirror of what one's source is. What is in the recording and and the sound of the DAC (in my case), that is what one hears. It is very transparent, as stated. However, I have found tube rolling does effect the sound on a small scale. For a heavenly midrange, I have the Mullard CV 4003. For a tiny bit more top end, then the Radiotechnique/Philips 12AU7. I do not detect any hint of "sweetness".

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you Jim. That's kind of what I've been thinking from all the information out there. I love the look and simplicity of it. I'll have to audition one.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Joe,

Jim has summarised the LSX2 as I would, given a well set up source, it offers an open window to the source material. Sonic preferences can be set via the two 12AU7 or derivatives on the rear panel. If you demo one, it takes 40 minutes to clear upon switch on, the tubes sockets are a tight fit so don't be alarmed, a good tube to start with for you may be something like an RCA clear top or Mazda 6189. Any 12AU7 intended for industrial use seems to fare well in this pre, the 5814's/CV4003/7316 being often favourites.

Many owners stop thinking pre amps after buying the LSX2 btw..

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you you for your thoughts and additional information. I do see many owners settling down for the long run with this preamp. That is extremely comforting and says a lot about it.

Joe,

Jim has summarised the LSX2 as I would, given a well set up source, it offers an open window to the source material. Sonic preferences can be set via the two 12AU7 or derivatives on the rear panel. If you demo one, it takes 40 minutes to clear upon switch on, the tubes sockets are a tight fit so don't be alarmed, a good tube to start with for you may be something like an RCA clear top or Mazda 6189. Any 12AU7 intended for industrial use seems to fare well in this pre, the 5814's/CV4003/7316 being often favourites.

Many owners stop thinking pre amps after buying the LSX2 btw..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing