New iPad

I haven't upgraded my iPod Touch for the retina screen, I suppose the iPad 2 can wait. If I were really into photography, I could see it. Otherwise, I'll upgrade when a new one is offering something new that I really need...or until I just want a second iPad. I think that's actually more likely.

Tim

If you don't care about 4G, as I don't, the other main features are the much better screen, 4-core GPU on the A5 chip (vs 2-core, off chip), 1GB DDR2 memory (vs 512MB), and the 5MP back camera (instead <1MP). The increase in rendering speed is very noticeable.

Last edited:
Copying "Info" from a Seller is ok but more interesting is, what is really gong on...
The new core is in reality no advantage in speed (based on internal bus system), the Camera in the rear is pretty useless because it is still bad (ok, the one in iPad2 is worse). Only ok for Sunshine pics. No improvement for the front camera (this would be an improvement for Skype or online conferences), no SIRI.
When you need to open something like pdf files (which needs CPU power), that one is slower! It sharpens line by line ... A lot of apps have problems with the high resolution. When it is a bit complex, CPU speed is reduced drastically. Apple made a wrong "decision" (or right for the next generation), they accelerated the Graphic only, without connecting it internally in the CPU Bus.....

Copying "Info" from a Seller is ok but more interesting is, what is really gong on...
The new core is in reality no advantage in speed (based on internal bus system), the Camera in the rear is pretty useless because it is still bad (ok, the one in iPad2 is worse). Only ok for Sunshine pics. No improvement for the front camera (this would be an improvement for Skype or online conferences), no SIRI.
When you need to open something like pdf files (which needs CPU power), that one is slower! It sharpens line by line ... A lot of apps have problems with the high resolution. When it is a bit complex, CPU speed is reduced drastically. Apple made a wrong "decision" (or right for the next generation), they accelerated the Graphic only, without connecting it internally in the CPU Bus.....

Haven't noticed the issue with pdf files but yes, what is up with that camera. It is a POS! The camera in my Droid puts it to SHAME!

Apple made a wrong "decision" (or right for the next generation), they accelerated the Graphic only, without connecting it internally in the CPU Bus.....

We are diverging a bit, but the SGX543MP4 GPU is 64-bit and the ARM Cortex-A9 CPU 32-bit, and won't go 64-bit until there exist such Cortex cores running the future ARMv8 instruction set - simply not available yet (at least in production); so what sort of connection were you hoping for?

At the end of day, it is a iPad 2 with better screen.

I would respectfully disagree. And as far as the camera who anyway will be using their ipad camera other than infrequently.

Ack has summed up the differences as to what the ipad3 has.

My son brought his over yesterday which is the same one ack purchased and all I can say is that if you feel this is merely a rebadged ipad2 with retina display, you should have a second look because such is far from the truth. I was simply mesmerized by the new ipad3

II can say is that if you feel this is merely a rebadged ipad2 with retina display, you should have a second look because such is far from the truth. I was simply mesmerized by the new ipad3

I got mine yesterday and I agree. Great display, (in fact, way better than great), clearly faster ...Glad I upgraded. I could care less about the camera but I will use it for taking photos of job sites.

Kudos !!

I'm getting one this week. Saw it at the store two days ago and wowie zowie, what a display! I hopped on our site and my eyes popped out when I saw the clarity. I am resizing the blocks for the ipad before our rewrite so it will render more effectively.

All joking aside, i have been seeing quite a bit of reports about different issues though. Overheating and battery issues, and Wifi as well.

Also, don't forget what happens with images that are displayed on a screen which now has twice the pixels. They are half the size. If you scale them up, they will pixelate. Think of an iPhone game displayed on an iPad. Some magazines will have this issue. All your back copies & old games will be like that. Until the publishers release new versions.

Thanks Carol. Good observation on pixel count. I have a high resolution display on my 13 inch laptop and I think I am the only one who can use it with standard fonts :). It is way too small for others.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing