Review of Roon Media Player and Server

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizzard ...

So, there's a way to take the PEQ settings from Fab Filter Pro and convert those to a convolution file with the appropriate sampling frequency and bit depth for HQ Player to process it?

I've tried convolution engines such as Acourate and AudioLens, and while powerful, they did "too much" and sucked a bit of the life out of my system. Fab Filter Pro works a lot better for me.

It's not obvious that VST plugins have to degrade quality. Sure, some are lousy, but not all of them are. Just as with most audio products. It should be entirely possible do the noise shaping and upsampling that HQPlayer excels at following the application of a plug in or convolution engine.

Try REW. It may not be obvious that VST plugins degrade quality. But depends on the quality in the first place. It's obvious to me the difference going from Jriver to HQplayer makes. Jussi knows how the code works, and he didn't find the way VST plugin's work to be acceptable to achieve the level of quality acceptable for HQplayer. Otherwise, he would make them compatible. It's not because he doesn't know how to do it.

What would be nice is if fabfilter allowed export of impulse response profiles. I like Fabfilter as well, but I don't like the sound quality, and lack of DSD support bottleneck.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The thread is already closed. ;-)

Most likely an inadvertent honest mistake. :b

* And you were right Amir to transfer the last couple pages to their appropriate forum's section. Sorry for that bifurcation; I'm @ fault.

Sorry, I forgot :). It is open now.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
The thread is already closed. ;-)

Most likely an inadvertent honest mistake. :b

* And you were right Amir to transfer the last couple pages to their appropriate forum's section. Sorry for that bifurcation; I'm @ fault.

Yes the multibit DSD topic was going off topic, but HQplayer is an add-on to Roon that supports DSP to both PCM and DSD. So folks who don't want Roon due to it's lack of DSP capabilities, might want to know this. And knowing why it does it better than Jriver, probably isn't information that would cause them any harm either. So anyone reading this tread and what's to know more can go to the other thread now.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Sorry to post a remark about Roon on this thread. But here goes:

Does anyone using Roon find themselves asking "is this really MY music?" Sometimes I feel like I'm getting new music for which I paid a long time ago. :D

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I know what you mean. The latest update makes it a little easier to see where you purchased the music but I am definitely digging the depths of my library. Ad the Tidal feature of adding the album to your library makes it even more confusing.

Does anyone using Roon find themselves asking "is this really MY music?" Sometimes I feel like I'm getting new music for which I paid a long time ago. :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am glad they answered the part about the connection to the service as without terminating that, the software would have failed to do anything useful.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Hey I am finding music I bought recently that I had forgotten I had bought :).

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have over 8000 cd's I ripped , I also am finding nuggets in my local collection I never remembered I had bought...its wonderful....
Add TIDAL to that and Im in music lovers heaven, revisiting my collection and fleshing it out with tidal albums
I am a roonlifer..
In reality , there is nothing roon really does that another interface + search engines etc will do for "free" ...
The biggest obstacles roon has to overcome is that it costs money and that users familiar with other players feel more comfortable using them.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
I have over 8000 cd's I ripped , I also am finding nuggets in my local collection I never remembered I had bought...its wonderful....
Add TIDAL to that and Im in music lovers heaven, revisiting my collection and fleshing it out with tidal albums
I am a roonlifer..
In reality , there is nothing roon really does that another interface + search engines etc will do for "free" ...
The biggest obstacles roon has to overcome is that it costs money and that users familiar with other players feel more comfortable using them.

Yes and no, maybe? It doesn't do anything necessarily different, yet here I am listening to stuff I forgot I had. Or, with Tidal, stuff I never knew I wanted. I'm impressed.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Waiting for Tidal to be available here in Haiti... Roon is impressing me by the day.

What I find most interesting is the lean interface.. Rich if you want to sparse most of the time and the richness of the Metadata!? I find myself being less and less nostalgic of the gate-folders.. Music is served in a very interesting and wealthier way with Roon. Wow!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Waiting for Tidal to be available here in Haiti... Roon is impressing me by the day.

What I find most interesting is the lean interface.. Rich if you want to sparse most of the time and the richness of the Metadata!? I find myself being less and less nostalgic of the gate-folders.. Music is served in a very interesting and wealthier way with Roon. Wow!

Now you just need to combine it with HQplayer for good sound

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Now you just need to combine it with HQplayer for good sound

The Berkeley is not DSD and I am not entirely convinced ..yet.. maybe I don't have a DSD DAC of the Berkeley caliber... HQ is nice though and I will look more into it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing