New member from New Jersey

deadhead

May 11, 2022
Hi everyone. I found this site just recently. I'm in the process of rebuilding my main system which sits in a dedicated room in my basement. The room itself has been acoustically treated and it's semi isolated from the rest of the house. There's a double ceiling with an air gap as well as Roxul insulation throughout.

What I've decided on is as follows: Speakers are Spatial Audio X3, A Weiss 502 dac, Toolshed Amp co 300b DHT set amp with all the trimmings, I just ordered a Supratek cabernet pre and am researching transports. I'm committed to digital since I have a ton of physical media and most Dead shows are showing up on disc.

I've been a stay at home dad for the better part of 17 years after a successful Wall Street career. My wife still works. I have two grown sons we've raised to be outstanding people. I cook, fix what's broken, and try to enjoy myself while I wait for my wife to pack it in. No idea what's next in our lives but we love the outdoors and love to travel.

I'm here to learn and hopefully add a little something. Lately I've become interested in Bluegrass and have spent time learning new artists and listening.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Let us know if developing an excellent sound is harder than what you report as developing excellent kids lol.

• Haha
Reactions: MTB Vince

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Welcome!

Definitely "Grateful..." (~);}

Reactions: deadhead

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Welcome!

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Welcome, from another NJ resident
Welcome to WBF deadhead! I too was raised in NJ (So. Orange) area and still have most of my family and relatives there. Als, Deb, and I gave up the Garden State for a life in sunny if equally congested Southern, CA.
Your system interests me as it's not the usual suspects and clearly tuned to your sonic preferences. Very cool set-up.

deadhead

May 11, 2022
Welcome to WBF deadhead! I too was raised in NJ (So. Orange) area and still have most of my family and relatives there. Als, Deb, and I gave up the Garden State for a life in sunny if equally congested Southern, CA.
Your system interests me as it's not the usual suspects and clearly tuned to your sonic preferences. Very cool set-up.
The pizza is better here! I have a preference for builders with proprietary circuits and a long track record. The 300b tube fascinates me. It works great with digital.

My son is getting his masters at USC so we've experienced the congestion.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
The pizza is better here! I have a preference for builders with proprietary circuits and a long track record. The 300b tube fascinates me. It works great with digital.

My son is getting his masters at USC so we've experienced the congestion.
As are the bagels, my friend! Fortunately, we are on the Newport coast so the air is really good and traffic is only an issue when we head to LA to visit our son.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Deadhead, did you ever get that transport you were looking for. Jay's Audio CDT-3 looks killer for the dollars.
How is the Supra pre- An overlooked brand in the US!
Gary

deadhead

May 11, 2022
Deadhead, did you ever get that transport you were looking for. Jay's Audio CDT-3 looks killer for the dollars.
How is the Supra pre- An overlooked brand in the US!
Gary
I waited months for the new Pro-ject transport, I even bought a power supply for it and nothing ever materialized. I decided to look into streamer/rippers and have a borrowed EVO432 that I like very much. It's a little more money than I originally budgeted but so is my car. I like the simplicity of it and the SQ is excellent. Having Qobuz is a major plus.

Reactions: gleeds

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, deadhead!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the WBF. From a cold and currently snowing part of SC.

A friend of mine has and is completely in love with his Spatial Audio speakers.

Tom

deadhead

May 11, 2022
Thank you all for the warm wishes. The Supra pre is IMO a giant killer for the price. It was just what the Dr ordered to finish my system. The 300b tube is a phenomenal match for the Spatials.

Reactions: gleeds

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
With a name like "deadhead " I can assume your musical taste. Just wondering is Marijuana legal where you live?
welcome to WBF.

tomsch63

May 31, 2022
Welcome deadhead! Having kids that grow up to be successful and outstanding citizens is why we are here. My youngest son recently graduated with a masters in corp finance. He now works for a VP in a leading bank in Tampa and is looking to buy his first house this year.

Now on to the audio side. Please post pics of your room as that would be great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing