new model Nina, tube tape head preamp

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
R2R is a small branch of audio hobby, and external preamps is its small sub-group. I truly wish it enjoyed wider popularity. I think one thing that is slowing it down is the fear of butchering a fine and expensive deck - kinda like drilling a hole to install a USB charger in your 1961 Ferrari. :)

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
Hi Steve,

We have had some discussions on the subject over the years. The first such such device was built over 20 years ago and it worked well, but back then there was no general availability of quality prerecorded material. With the R2R revival the interest in such a product reappeared, but never to the point of actually doing it. The market is still very small... we felt we would probably sell 100 of our phono stages for one head pre, so its development was not justified - for us. It would involve mainly the industrial design and interface, but we already have our hands full with other projects.

At this time I have three such units of different vintage in my system, the oldest one due to an upgrade. :)

Victor
I guessed volume might not be enough to justify the efforts. EveAnna Manley echoed your sentiment a few years ago when I reached out to her about doing another run of the Manley tape pre. She said they sold one every few months when they were available and that she'd rather stick to higher sales volume products.

revolved70

Jun 26, 2022
I currently have a set of those Manley Tape Repo units for sale on Reverb. Feel free to PM me here as well if anyone is interested...

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Hi Holger, Wishing you the best with your new tape preamp. Hoping it has the same high quality parts found in your R2R re-cap kits.
All the best

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is the Nina or some other tube tape preamp still being made?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing