New power service

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
I had a new service put into my house. I built a woodshop out back and needed to go from a one hundred amp service to a two hundred amp service. The only real way was to put the main service in the garage and turn the house panel into a sub panel. I was quite worried about that I didn't want to downgrade the power to my system with a extra connection etc. When the hundred amp system was replaces approximately 15 years ago before I owned the place they used aluminum wire. This time I had the line upgraded to copper wire. On first fire up of the stereo to my surprise it sounded much better. Gave it a few days to let everything settle in running in standby. When I went down to listen to it there was a bunch of noise coming through the tweeters. Only when music was played. This turned out to be in every system in the house. Anyhow I had the electrician come back to check the grounds and there was one set of bonding he added. That did nothing. I didn't play any system for awhile as I bothered me so much. I had a young electrician over the other day and had him Chech the grounds. In the new mailbox he tighten two grounds a bit the one he maybe got a third of a turn. He checked the main panel in the house everything was fine lol I think he thought I was nuts but the powering noise is gone. The ground was not loose but it is now very very tight and everything is now good. Might be something people want to look at if you have a bit of noise coming through. Now back to the change to the copper mains cable. All I can say is that was a huge improvement. Much better than before even though there is one move splice between the transformer and the stereo. If anyone is doing something to there power service it was certainly worth the money to go to copper vs aluminum. It cost me around two thousand for that change but I have powercords that are that kind of price and in my opinion this had as much effect on the quality of sound of my system as the suite of powercords.

Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing