New Spectral 200S power amp released

Bobalob

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for that. Just trying to work out what the suffix S means . Is it different to previous Universal amps? Presume there will still be the requirement for Spectral/MIT cables

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I'm not a Spectral expert, just an estimator of their family sound. But, AFAIK, the S is not related to the Universal status, which doesn't characterize any current Spectral product.

The S is applied to iterations of previous products. For example, among the preamps, there's been the 30, 30S, 30SL, 30SS. Not only, among at least the latter two, there's also been a generation 1 and 2!

In this case, the DMA-200S, there was one already, which corresponded to the entry level power amp. The new product is the DMA-200S generation 2.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Actually the 'S' designation has also been used on "Universal" amps, like the 150S and I believe the 160S as well. I think they have now abandoned this practice, but don't really know how they designate "Universal" amps nowadays - I literally lost track and interest. Basically, it's a mess, so it's best to ask a dealer. I never understood why a "Universal" amp is not marked "U".

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Actually the 'S' designation has also been used on "Universal" amps, like the 150S and I believe the 160S as well. I think they have now abandoned this practice, but don't really know how they designate "Universal" amps nowadays - I literally lost track and interest. Basically, it's a mess, so it's best to ask a dealer. I never understood why a "Universal" amp is not marked "U".

I see.
Anyway, I've never listened to the entry level Spectrals (DMC15 + DMA200S). I'd be curious how they performed, specially with speakers such as the Sophia III.

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
These are photos of older versions of the DMA 200S and DMC 15. Spectral recognizes that there is no inherent benifit to balanced interconnections in a properly configured system used in a non hostile environment.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I don't like where the speaker terminals are. One on top of the other?

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
Spectral can "claim' there is no benefit to an all balanced system. I respectfully disagree. My system is fully balanced, source to amp.
My system is dead quiet, and I've worked to make it that way.
When a manufacturer states their philosophy on their website, that's fine with me. When they make statements and announce their opinions as facts, I disregard their products.
It's that simple.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Spectral can "claim' there is no benefit to an all balanced system. I respectfully disagree. My system is fully balanced, source to amp.
When a manufacturer states their philosophy on their website, that's fine with me. When they make statements and announce their opinions as facts, I disregard their products.
It's that simple.

The maker of my amp and preamp does not believe in balanced. His terminations are pseudobalanced. I used to think like you. I run a 25 foot SE cable from my preamp to my amp and it is dead quiet.In fact when I bought the amp and preamp (at an MSRP of ~$200K) he said that if there is any noise in the line he would gladly accept return of the gear with a full refund. Needless to say it remains in my system and I will never need another amp or preamp. I have owned many of his products all with the same wonderful results. Perhaps it is the quality of the gear that causes you to make that statement.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
cj has always been SE too.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The problem with balanced is perfect circuit component matching, a virtual oxymoron by itself

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's that simple.

One last thing

IMHO based on your comment, you have probably discounted some really great gear over the course of time if that statement is your credo

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Like danielk141, I prefer balanced cables between my source and amp, which have true balanced outputs and inputs. It sounds better and the system noise floor is lower.

In the case of the Lamm LL1 Signature, “Pseudo-balanced” means it has XLR output connectors, but pin 3 where the negative output would be in a true balanced component is not connected, so it's no surprise that using balanced cables doesn't improve its performance.

If Spectral claims there is no benefit to an all balanced system, I wonder why they have balance outputs on the DMC-30SS Series 2 preamp and balanced inputs on their amps.

BTW, I really wanted to buy a DMA-260, but was turned off when I was told their warranty still requires the use of their cables and preamp for all their products. Maybe I should have thrown caution to the wind like Russ the Mobiusman.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing