New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

I find such poor taste comments unnecessary and a nuisance to WBF. We are privileged to have someone who owns what is considered one of the best sounding existing DACs in this forum and I expect to have his comments on its sound related and technical aspects, not defending himself from vulgar tasteless analogies.

The cosmetic design of the Wadax Reference could be an interesting subject. A pity that the subject is now polluted. Just MHO, YMMV.

FIY, my source of opinion on the Wadax References are people who listened to it, not reviewers or indirect opinions. As soon as I am able to listen to it I will surely post my opinion.

I find such poor taste comments unnecessary and a nuisance to WBF. We are privileged to have someone who owns what is considered one of the best sounding existing DACs in this forum and I expect to have his comments on its sound related and technical aspects, not defending himself from vulgar tasteless analogies.

The cosmetic design of the Wadax Reference could be an interesting subject. A pity that the subject is now polluted. Just MHO, YMMV.

FIY, my source of opinion on the Wadax References are people who listened to it, not reviewers or indirect opinions. As soon as I am able to listen to it I will surely post my opinion.
You’re missing the point. if someone were to actually describe how this dac sounds like, which can only be done via comparison to other gear, instead of marketing bs garbage, like “best”, “transformational”, etc., there would be much less comments about its looks

I've heard the Wadax Reference DAC and was incredibly impressed; admittedly this was a show environment, HIGH END 2019 however it's damned impressive even in a show environment and the Wadax-involved rooms in Munich were replete with some of the best gear, speakers and cables plus setup you can achieve. As an aside every major multi-box stack digital front-end was there and/or at Hifideluxe 2019 across town. Three favorite brands with their newest models to me were; Esoteric P1X and D1X, Wadax Reference DAC, Wadax Atlantis Transport+DAC+Server and (across town) TotalDAC fully optioned out. No comments on the rest except to say the gap (to me) was incredibly large and musical realism, energy, transparency, emotion, tonal correctness and other key attributes were sufficiently lagging to make then all a pass.

Wadax is the real deal IMHO; the design aesthetics and price are way out there however the list of comparable design and built competition is short. I cannot address marketing issues or anything else,...that is for the pros.

+1 on the rambling style of quite a few reviewers including the one (somewhat brutally) mentioned however I take them all with a grain of salt most days as they are paid to listen, then move on to a new flavor of the month.

Personally I think that this thread and many others could do without the "us versus them" aspects and the harsh attack/harsh opinion aspects used by some posters.

This is all a personal opinion,....don't attack it and don't tell me my ears don't work, it was a show, etc. and all the usual bollocks :)

@Docluis may well comment if he sees this thread on the Wadax Reference DAC and now Server & Streamer as he owns both and has real world
customer-owner experience with every other major SOTA brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung
You’re missing the point. if someone were to actually describe how this dac sounds like, which can only be done via comparison to other gear, instead of marketing bs garbage, like “best”, “transformational”, etc., there would be much less comments about its looks
In the past, I used Dcs Vivaldi. Now I use Wadax Ref. Wadax Ref Dac + Server are clearly in a different class from Dcs. They are really amazing. Is that enough for you?

Attachments

• 20210202_111211.jpg
    20210202_111211.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210522_110847.jpg
    IMG_20210522_110847.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 106
In the past, I used Dcs Vivaldi. Now I use Wadax Ref. Wadax Ref Dac + Server are clearly in a different class from Dcs. They are really amazing. Is that enough for you?
I have a friend who has changed his full DCS Vivaldi to a Wadax Ref.Dac too…
Rest of the system:
Soulution 735 preamp
Soulution 701 monos
Wilson Alexandria speakers.
Transparent Magnum Opus cables.

Last edited:
Hi Elliot , please re-read my post. All we got so far about the sound of this Dac is that it’s ”trensendental” . Thats is a meaningless word. It’s more hyperbole from the Neal Grobbers , on the surface. But ultimately It depends on one’s taste. and who one trusts.

what i am saying is that unless the wadax can show the benefits / trade offs of this dac vis a vis dcs, msb, the emotional realism of Lampi / TotalDac, they won’t sell as many as they can.

best of luck with this gearz!!!
It is just that Caesar. It is not like anything else that I have heard. You only can see things through your eyes and not understand that YOU are not the God of everyone's' taste or opinions. To try to describe something in BS audiophile words sometimes just doesn't fit and it is not even relevant.
We get it, you like to start issues, you think you are the only voice. I understand you won't buy this or DAG or something else because it doesn't meet you esthetic code or you can't afford it or whatever. I do think that maybe it would be respectful that you actually opened your mind and experienced these items before you want to call everyone names. I am not a reviewer. It is not my place to try to be one. I have found something in my house that is a revelation. I can't stop listening to it. I feel like I am stoned every time I sit in there to listen and get lost. This has NEVER happened to me.
Last point when you try to make something that is different people always want to criticize what they don't know and understand. I don't think that selling quantity was or is their goal.

Learn to spell and grow up you are not the GOD of me or anyone else that can think for themselves.

Last edited:
Can you PLEASE post some videos other than Passenger? Some of us REALLY hate him. I can't get past that to have an opinion on the Wadax. Appreciate that.

Can you PLEASE post some videos other than Passenger? Some of us REALLY hate him. I can't get past that to have an opinion on the Wadax. Appreciate that.
Who is Passenger? What videos are you referring to?

I refer you to post #300 of this thread.

Thanks...guess that includes 291 and others from the same room.

I don't know, I just have "issues" w Passenger. His voice. It's not the artist I would have chosen to make people aware of this device.

Reactions: matakana
For those who lack interest in guessing what page (16) and where (very last post on the bottom of course).

It's like deja vue Lol.
Post some real music off the Wadax Ref please, not someone pretentiously playing at singing.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1 and matakana
Reactions: Stereophonic
It's like deja vue Lol.
Post some real music off the Wadax Ref please, not someone pretentiously playing at singing.
What songs would you like to hear? If you still keep your prejudice, it's up to you.

Yesterday, I had a world renown drummer in my place. I played for him some of my favorite drummers, many of which are friends of his and he has been in the studio with, and his response to what he heard was " the best sound I have ever heard form an audio system. Period.
He listened to Manu Katche, Steve Gadd, Ginger Baker, Mick Fleetwood and Danny Carey.
I still feel like I am high every time I am in that space, the music is heavy and powerful, full of detail and color without glare and you not only can listen and hear it but you feel it as well. Welcome to the new boss who isn't the old boss LOL

Hi Steve,
So what exactly do you like better about this DAC than your dCS? To me, dCS is one of those analytical, audiophile brands that has no emotion; just sounds and noises. But I am not an "audiophile". I never heard a Wilson system I liked [edited to delete profanity and trolling] ... Yes, I know this is an experiential, subjective hobby... blah blah blah :) :)

And on the subject of dCS, there are a good number of guys who switched from dCS to Schiit Yggy. That's only $1999. Some guys may have bought used for $14.99... One can conclude that Schiit blows dCS also.... :) Schiit may be even more transformational than Wadax by that type of logic.... :)

So please share the experiences of this vs. dCS within your system context.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is just that Caesar. It is not like anything else that I have heard. You only can see things through your eyes and not understand that YOU are not the God of everyone's' taste or opinions. To try to describe something in BS audiophile words sometimes just doesn't fit and it is not even relevant.
We get it, you like to start issues, you think you are the only voice. I understand you won't buy this or DAG or something else because it doesn't meet you esthetic code or you can't afford it or whatever. I do think that maybe it would be respectful that you actually opened your mind and experienced these items before you want to call everyone names. I am not a reviewer. It is not my place to try to be one. I have found something in my house that is a revelation. I can't stop listening to it. I feel like I am stoned every time I sit in there to listen and get lost. This has NEVER happened to me.
Last point when you try to make something that is different people always want to criticize what they don't know and understand. I don't think that selling quantity was or is their goal.

Learn to spell and grow up you are not the GOD of me or anyone else that can think for themselves.
Elliot, enjoy in great health! But don't assume everyone else has the same taste as you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing