New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Wadax Reference DAC paired up with Kharma speaker and Lars amps at Munich Hi-end 2019.

TLi who visited the room said that the sound was very good.

IMG-20190511-WA0006.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
In Munich last years,never liked Kharma,always little dark and slow
Listen yesterday very good,could be Wadax?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In Munich last years,never liked Kharma,always little dark and slow
Listen yesterday very good,could be Wadax?

I think the Engstrom is playing a role because the Gobbel with Engstrom is also sounding excellent

Reactions: gian60

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Wadax Reference DAC paired up with Kharma speaker and Lars amps at Munich Hi-end 2019.

TLi who visited the room said that the sound was very good.

View attachment 51419
Have to disagree, it was struggling as soon as the music got complex. It got congested and hard sounding. Seems maybe the amps were not up to driving this speaker. Hard to judge the Dac in that situation.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think the Engstrom is playing a role because the Gobbel with Engstrom is also sounding excellent
Goebel speaker is a much easier speaker for the Engstrom amps and sounded good the Kharma with Engstrom did not.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
This set up sound very well,first time i listen Kharma well,but music was not loud and complex,when i was there.
Sure Kharma are difficult speaker and Engstrom are not the right partner.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Goebel speaker is a much easier speaker for the Engstrom amps and sounded good the Kharma with Engstrom did not.

It probably had less drive and resolution due to Engstrom but this is the first time I have heard the speaker sound remotely natural at Munich. Goebbel sounded better

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It probably had less drive and resolution due to Engstrom but this is the first time I have heard the speaker sound remotely natural at Munich. Goebbel sounded better
I much prefer these Divin series Goebbel speakers to the bending wave models.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I understand that many audiophiles think that the Audioexotics forum participants are mostly AE's customers so the comments there are often read with a grain of salt.

But the recent comment of Marvel on Wadax Reference DAC is a really bold one :
http://audioexotics.vanillacommunit...us-project-ever-atlantis-reference-dac#latest

A frd of mine in HK has placed order and will get his Ref DAC by mid August.
I shall visit him and post my audition comments on this thread for sure.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I understand that many audiophiles think that the Audioexotics forum participants are mostly AE's customers so the comments there are often read with a grain of salt.

But the recent comment of Marvel on Wadax Reference DAC is a really bold one :
http://audioexotics.vanillacommunit...us-project-ever-atlantis-reference-dac#latest

A frd of mine in HK has placed order and will get his Ref DAC by mid August.
I shall visit him and post my audition comments on this thread for sure.

Is Marvel not one of the investors in AE, that is having a commercial interest? I am asking because I am (one of the persons that is) quite critical as regards the comments on the AE website.

And just to be sure: I am not being critical on the state of the art dac and transport of Wadax. Have never heard those.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Is Marvel not one of the investors in AE, that is having a commercial interest? I am asking because I am (one of the persons that is) quite critical as regards the comments on the AE website.

And just to be sure: I am not being critical on the state of the art dac and transport of Wadax. Have never heard those.
Yes, Marval is a partner of AE and good frd of Chris Leung/J Lam of AE.
Maybe not a grain but a whole can of salt?
:D

However AE sells also many exotic and top vinyl components.
If Marval dare to make such a comment, the Wadax Ref DAC must be really something!

Reactions: Audiocrack

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK
you are one lucky guy as you have heard some of the world's greatest components which we mortal guys will probably never experience
Yes, got opportunities to listen/enjoy but no money to buy/own.
:confused:

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes, Marval is a partner of AE and good frd of Chris Leung/J Lam of AE.
Maybe not a grain but a whole can of salt?
:D

However AE sells also many exotic and top vinyl components.
If Marval dare to make such a comment, the Wadax Ref DAC must be really something!

i guess my digital must really suck if my vinyl is so obviously better. i have to assume AE has top flight vinyl.

or......1 + 1 = ?.....something other than 2.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing