Nordost or Transparent?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Is it just me or do you feel like we are being lectured to by someone who doesn't even currently own a stereo system?

lectured or sold...on a topic that the OP wasn't asking about and has said isn't interested in...by a person that we've proven at least twice to have incorrect facts...and instead of saying oops your right...just shifts the discussion

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
@RichDavis: start a thread, MIT vs Transparent, and there is a lot to be discussed there; I and others have posted about all this - patents and deep analysis on them - many times in the past; it would be good to have one thread for it. Right now, you continue to hijack someone else's thread, who's solely interested in Nordost and Transparent.

Excellent advice Peter

Rich....

why don't you start a new thread called MIT vs Transparent and leave this one for Nordost vs Transparent

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
How about phase angle? Speed? Square wave response? Interaction with the two connecting components? It is all a crap shoot and the best way is to start auditioning the cables from manufacturers that enjoy solid reputations in the market. While while I use (by necessity of Spectral Electronics) MIT Oracle MAX SHD cabling in my main audio system, I use Transparent OPUS MMII cabling in my secondary audio system. MIT uses an impedance range switch. It is not exact. The irony is that the Transparent cable is much more balanced in its sound as the cable is precisely tuned for the exact impedance of the two components. Transparent is the only company that I am aware of doing this (at their Reference level and above). The result is stunning!
Again, as I have posted before, it is to try a few well regarded cables in one's system and choose the ones that sound best to them.

Excellent points. I fully agree that Transparent sounds more balanced than MIT. This precise component matching is a big part of it IMO.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Excellent points. I fully agree that Transparent sounds more balanced than MIT. This precise component matching is a big part of it IMO.

AFAIK, you don't get the Transparent "component matching" until you reach their Reference level cables.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
@RichDavis: start a thread, MIT vs Transparent, and there is a lot to be discussed there; I and others have posted about all this - patents and deep analysis on them - many times in the past; it would be good to have one thread for it. Right now, you continue to hijack someone else's thread, who's solely interested in Nordost and Transparent.

As usual, Ack has great advice. I second or third the recommendation. I think there is already an MIT vs. Transparent thread. Maybe Rich should attempt to revive that one.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I have been listening to Valhalla 2 speaker cable for about a week now. I have nothing but great things to say about it. It's the only Nordost I have ever listened to and the speaker cable is the only Nordost in the chain right now. It is detailed, airy and the soundstage has me shaking my head in amazement. My current speaker cable is being shipped back to me Friday following repair of the network boxes and I have some listening to do. This Valhalla 2 has got me thinking because it is so good.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

which cables are you talking about ? That seems like sweeping statement. Who has compared Transparent's top of the line Opus with MIT's top of the line MA-X SHD in the same system ?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
which cables are you talking about ? That seems like sweeping statement. Who has compared Transparent's top of the line Opus with MIT's top of the line MA-X SHD in the same system ?

I believe Coopersark might have. He owns both sets of cables and expressed the same opinion. He is also the first to qualify this type of statement that this is all systems dependent.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have been listening to Valhalla 2 speaker cable for about a week now. (...) It is detailed, airy and the soundstage has me shaking my head in amazement. (...)

Yes, I gave it high points with the Aida's. I can imagine that it will be a great match with your speakers - my great experiences with the Thesonusfaber's were with Odin.

Ekmanc

Nov 25, 2012
The Valhalla2s would be very interesting to try, I'm sure they're great but they're also a little outside of my budget right now.

A used pair of Valhalla or Transparent Reference SC are my two alternatives.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The Valhalla2s would be very interesting to try, I'm sure they're great but they're also a little outside of my budget right now.

A used pair of Valhalla or Transparent Reference SC are my two alternatives.

I just sold a used pair of Transparent Reference SC (and ICs) for 50% of MSRP. Many takers - these are in high demand.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I had to wait a year from order date to delivery date for my main system's Spectral components. They are a low volume manufacturer. I am also currently assembling an office system. It is comprised of a few years old Spectral/MIT. It is a fantastic combo.

Yeah, Spectral makes very nice products. Some amp mfg for some reason just get to the point where the product doesn't need to be updated every 5 years or so, it's rare to see amps stay relatively the same for long periods of time. I think the Spectral just fit into that Category of a great amp design. I read that some cables won't work well due to capacitance levels and that's why they had the MIT Cables made for them. I wonder if the newer MIT Cables would make much of a difference or not.

Either way, I like Spectral, very nice product. I first remember running into Spectral back in the early 90's, I think it was. I seem to remember seeing them first at Audible Difference in Palo Alto if I'm not mistaken.

Ekmanc

Nov 25, 2012
I just sold a used pair of Transparent Reference SC (and ICs) for 50% of MSRP. Many takers - these are in high demand.

I would imagine so yes, were they the ones who were up on Audiogon earlier this week? the speaker cables sold in a day or two.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Edorr,

I am envious. ;) I am trying to sell my Transparent Audio Reference MM2 SCs in Europe at considerable less than 50% and still no takers ...

Ekmanc

Nov 25, 2012
Edorr,

I am envious. ;) I am trying to sell my Transparent Audio Reference MM2 SCs in Europe at considerable less than 50% and still no takers ...

Those cables are ridiculously expensive in Europe though!

Once you get down to considerably less than 25% I'll definitely go for it ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Those cables are ridiculously expensive in Europe though!

Once you get down to considerably less than 25% I'll definitely go for it ;)

Well, I am not giving them away but almost... They are current models. However Europeans distrust towards used equipment is much higher than in the US.

Ekmanc

Nov 25, 2012
Well, I am not giving them away but almost... They are current models. However Europeans distrust towards used equipment is much higher than in the US.

How much do you want for them?

I could maybe maybe be interested if the price is good enough.

Send me a PM if you like.

Last edited:

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Yes, I gave it high points with the Aida's. I can imagine that it will be a great match with your speakers - my great experiences with the Thesonusfaber's were with Odin.

From what I'm hearing with just the Valhalla2 SCs in place, I'm considering asking my dealer to get 4 Odin ICs and a pair of SC for audition. The system is sounding too good not to consider it.

Has anyone had experience with both Valhalla 2 and Odin to give a feel for the performance delta?

At any rate, my repaired MIT SC is due back from the factory tomorrow. I'll give them a week and decide at that time whether to proceed or not.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
From what I'm hearing with just the Valhalla2 SCs in place, I'm considering asking my dealer to get 4 Odin ICs and a pair of SC for audition. The system is sounding too good not to consider it.

Has anyone had experience with both Valhalla 2 and Odin to give a feel for the performance delta?

At any rate, my repaired MIT SC is due back from the factory tomorrow. I'll give them a week and decide at that time whether to proceed or not.

Careful Frank..Odin is like crack ! ;)
V2 hasn't been out long enough for someone to use them and then upgrade to Odin, imho...so there will be few data points if any in terms of how they compare. I suspect V2 gets you 90% there (just a guess). It all depends on how much value one puts on that 10% improvement. If you are in "All Out Assault" mode like I am and want to change out the MIT speaker cable, go Odin. Buy it used and save a ton if your dealer doesn't become a Nordost dealer.. There are some listings for SC and IC's at A-gon currently.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Careful Frank..Odin is like crack ! ;)
V2 hasn't been out long enough for someone to use them and then upgrade to Odin, imho...so there will be few data points if any in terms of how they compare. I suspect V2 gets you 90% there (just a guess). It all depends on how much value one puts on that 10% improvement. If you are in "All Out Assault" mode like I am and want to change out the MIT speaker cable, go Odin. Buy it used and save a ton if your dealer doesn't become a Nordost dealer.. There are some listings for SC and IC's at A-gon currently.

I noticed the listings on Agon but I'm not going in that direction and making that kind of commitment without hearing a complete setup in my system first. I'm hoping to get my MIT SC back tomorrow and have it blow me away. I really haven't heard it with the Xs preamp in place. There's been something wrong with it for a considerable period. Thanks for the feedback.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing