Not exactly "vintage" but Dunlavy's literally rock

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Another new owner
I have the manual that came with the Marquis, but unfortunatly not the Princess - If anyone has a copy they could post, it would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I got my manual from the Duntech factory. Although mine is the Princess C 5000 series maybe they stiil have for the PCL 1100. Look for Kiat .

Hope this helps,

tdh888

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello,

I had a Dunlavy SC-V and then bought a Dunavly SC-VI in 1998, the SC-VI is certainly better, both more extended and more dynamic. I have changed everything else in my system, but still have them. I have heard many top speakers, but so far nothing better considering the whole (I have not heard the Rockport Arrakis II). However, my SC-VI are now quite modded to deal with some weaknesses.

In terms of strengths, they have great imaging, are very dynamic, natural sounding, and extended. One weakness (sort of) is the small sweet spot, but it is only a matter of sitting in the right place. Placement of speakers and listening position are very important.

I see the Dunlavy SC-VI having two major weaknesses that can be solved:

(i) Sibilance and lower than possible detail because of low quality/cost crossover parts (Solen) compared to what is available now. I and a friend (we both have EE degrees) mapped the crossover circuit, and made two external crossovers using the same circuits, but using high end Duelund CAST-cu capacitors and Inductors, and Path Audio resistors. It was done in many steps, always measuring and listening, to make sure everything was moving forward compared to the original components, it took many months. The improvement is incredible, as everyone who heard them can corroborate. There is no more added sibilance, there is much more detail and air, so it sounds even more real.

Mapping the SC-VI crossover, it became clear that in many points they are not simply first order, it is quite complex. They are first order up to/down to a certain frequency, then another portion of the circuit kicks in making it second order after that frequency. This way it deals better with abnormalities far from the regular frequency range of a particular driver.

(ii) The original tweeters are limited in comparison with current top tweeters. After much searching (all currently available tweeters I could find) of tweeter specs, we replaced the original tweeters with Seas Crescendo tweeters, that have very similar sonic and electrical parameters. Again, measured and listened, and the improvement was substantial.

I am very happy with them. I think that Dunlavy's ideas and design are great, but certainly can be improved with current top components.

I may try additional mods, always having the possibility of going back on a mod if it does not improve the sound and keep the nice impulse response. I would like to try some custom made Audio Technology drivers for the 5", 8" and 15", either top C-Quenze or Flexunits.

I wonder if anyone has the cabinet design information for the SC-VI. I plan to use Crossovershop LinearX LEAP for the circuit simulation (to make minor adjustments if necessary for changing a driver) and will measure the drivers directly in the enclosure, but it would be great to have the internal design of the cabinet, to be able to model it too.

Photos:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1206661296

Cheers,

VPN

Last edited:

theophile

Hello,

I had a Dunlavy SC-V and then bought a Dunavly SC-VI in 1998, the SC-VI is certainly better, both more extended and more dynamic. I have changed everything else in my system, but still have them. I have heard many top speakers, but so far nothing better considering the whole (I have not heard the Rockport Arrakis II). However, my SC-VI are now quite modded to deal with some weaknesses.

In terms os strenghts, they have great imaging, are very dynamic, natural sounding, and extended. One weakness (sort of) is the small sweet spot, but it is only a matter of sitting in the right place. Placement of speakers and listening position are very important.

(i) Sibilance and lower than possible detail because of low quality/cost crossover parts (Solen) compared to what is available now. I and a friend (we both have EE degrees) mapped the crossover circuit, and we made two external crossovers using the same circuits, but using high end Duelund CAST-cu capacitors and Inductors, and Path Audio resistors. It was done in many steps, always measuring and listening, to make sure everything was moving forward compared to the original components, it took many months. The improvement is incredible, as everyone who heard them can corroborate. There is no more added sibilance, there is much more detail and air, so it sounds even more real.

Mapping the SC-VI crossover, it became clear that in many points they are not simply first order, it is quite complex. They are first order up to/down to a certain frequency, then another portion of the circuit kicks in making it second order after that frequency. This way it deals better with abnormalities far from the regular frequency range of a particular driver.

(ii) The original tweeters are limited in comparison with current top tweeters. After much searching (all currently available tweeters I could find) of tweeter specs, we replaced the original tweeters with Seas Crescendo tweeters, that have very similar sonic and electrical parameters. Again, measured and listened, and the improvement was substantial.

I am very happy with them. I think that Dunlavy's ideas and design are great, but certainly can be improved with current top components.

I may try additional mods, always having the possibility of going back on a mod if it does not improve the sound and keep the nice impulse response. I would like to try some custom made Audio Technology drivers for the 5", 8" and 15%, either top C-Quenze or Flexunits.

I wonder if anyone has the cabinet design information for the SC-VI. I plan to use Crossovershop LinearX LEAP for the circuit simulation (to make minor adjustments if necessary for changing a driver) and will measure the drivers directly in the enclosure, but it would be great to have the internal design of the cabinet, to be able to model it too.

Photos:

Cheers,

VPN

Thanks for that. Interesting tale and may I say, nice system.

Reactions: VPN

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I was a Dunlavy dealer for a long time and thought the VI's were the best speaker I ever heard/owned. For music, I never heard anything I liked better, but once you cranked up the volume, the tweeter did not behave nicely. My room was (is) dual purpose (music and HT) and the tweeter issue was even more prominent in a HT environment . Had I had the background to do so and could have replaced the tweeter, I would still own those speakers.

Reactions: VPN

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello Audioguy,

I just looked at your room and system. Congratulations! I have learned over time that room treatment (and speaker/listener positioning) is fundamental for improving the sound. I will take out most of my current room treatment and put in better treatment in 2016. I am looking forward to it.

I understand your point regarding the Dunlavy tweeter. I also use my system for both audio and video. Looking at the specifications of the Dunlavy drivers, he certainly focused on a combination of low moving mass and high relative BL, so this help explain the level of detail produded by the speakers (besides the imaging helped by the time coherent design of the boxes), but Mr. Dunlavy should have stayed with the Dynaudio tweeters, or another brand/model that better handles high SPLs. He should also have used better crossover parts.

I was a bit scared in the beginning because we had to open up just a bit the enclosure hole to insert the Seas Crescendo tweeter (lots of wood dust), but fortunately being very close in specs to the original Vifa it proved to be a great upgrade, both by listening and measurement. We took out the notch filter portion of the tweeter crossover circuit and measured/tested again, and it was better leaving the original notch filter in the circuit, so there was no change to the crossover circuit at all.

I have the Dunlavy SC-VI since 1998 (I had a SC-V from 95 to 98), and while I keep testing and upgrading equipment, cables, power circuits, and accoustic treatment, the sound produced by the Dunlavy SC-VI keep improving. I am already quite happy, because it is VERY realistic. However, the tweeter change and the upgrade in the crossover parts were dramatic improvements to the speakers.

VPN

Last edited:

Viper

Feb 3, 2015
Hello,

In terms of strengths, they have great imaging, are very dynamic, natural sounding, and extended. One weakness (sort of) is the small sweet spot, but it is only a matter of sitting in the right place. Placement of speakers and listening position are very important.

(i) Sibilance and lower than possible detail because of low quality/cost crossover parts (Solen) compared to what is available now. I and a friend (we both have EE degrees) mapped the crossover circuit, and made two external crossovers using the same circuits, but using high end Duelund CAST-cu capacitors and Inductors, and Path Audio resistors. It was done in many steps, always measuring and listening, to make sure everything was moving forward compared to the original components, it took many months. The improvement is incredible, as everyone who heard them can corroborate. There is no more added sibilance, there is much more detail and air, so it sounds even more real.

I may try additional mods, always having the possibility of going back on a mod if it does not improve the sound and keep the nice impulse response. I would like to try some custom made Audio Technology drivers for the 5", 8" and 15", either top C-Quenze or Flexunits.

Photos:

Cheers,

VPN

Vpn I have SC-VI as well and would like help from you on these upgrades you have done...would appreciate all the info on these you can supply....Thank You...

Viper

Feb 3, 2015
Hello....Thank you for your reply.....sorry i hadn't been on in a while to get back to you...i don't think i would do what you did 20k for new reworked crossovers...thats to scary for me to do...Im sure your system sounds amazing.....i love these speakers.....Keep me informed of your results in switching out the drivers you mentioned.....thank you..

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Viper,

If you are going to perform the mods (at you own risk), I would say the top priorities from an investment/return standpoint are:

1. Change the tweeters to SEAS Excel T29CF-002 (E0040) Crescendo. No need to change the crossover. You will have to open a bit (maybe 1mm) the diameter of hole in the speaker cabinet for the tweeter to fit.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...29cf-002-e0040-crescendo-fabric-dome-tweeter/

2. Change as many resistors to Path Audio resistors of same value as possible. Make sure you use the same values and number/configuration in each case so you don't run into power limitations, since some resistors get hot under certain circunstances.

http://www.pathaudio.eu/

3. Next step would be to change the main capacitors in the primary path of the midrange (56uF) and tweeter (7.5uF) portions of the crossover. Use the best you can afford. I am using Duelund Cast copper with Duelund Cast silver bypasses. Depending on your choice, they will not fit inside the speaker cabinet, so you will have to move to external crossovers, which also improve the sound because of less vibration.

Cheers,

VPN

Last edited:

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
These threads are priceless and educational.. I love audio history and the group of dedicated guys that keep and share their knowledge of a product that is no longer made..

samvogt

Apr 18, 2019
So I just joined because of this great thread on Dunlavy speakers. I own a pair of Dunlavy SC-IV A's in rosewood. Love these speakers, but could not afford them when they were new. I would probably keep them forever. I read some posts on upgrades to the SCVI's. Has anyone done any upgrades to the SC-IV A's? thanks

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Sterophile seemed to love Dunlavy's, guess that was not enough.

I never head them in person.

Were they better than Willsons?

I never warmed up to Willsons, but did like many of the B&K floor standers.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
So I just joined because of this great thread on Dunlavy speakers. I own a pair of Dunlavy SC-IV A's in rosewood. Love these speakers, but could not afford them when they were new. I would probably keep them forever. I read some posts on upgrades to the SCVI's. Has anyone done any upgrades to the SC-IV A's? thanks

Hello,

Many people have made mods on their Dunlavy SC IVa. The thread below has almost 700 posts in total.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-u...-legacy-whisper-dunlavy-sc-v-opinions-23.html

Cheers,

VPN

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
I have a pair of the Dunlavy Cantata speakers along with a pair of SC - 1 that I use for surrounds.
I am planning on changing the resistors to Path Audio over the winter. The SEAS tweeter upgrade looks interesting.

Scott

trapper

Mar 20, 2013
I must be the craziest Dunlavy guy here. I have 4 HRCC1's, 5 sets of SCV's. 4 sets of SCIV's, two sets of SC3's and a bunch of smaller versions. Also have closet full of brand new drivers. Oh I almost forgot two sets of Subwoofers with 4 12 inch drivers. Forget the model number

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I must be the craziest Dunlavy guy here. I have 4 HRCC1's, 5 sets of SCV's. 4 sets of SCIV's, two sets of SC3's and a bunch of smaller versions. Also have closet full of brand new drivers. Oh I almost forgot two sets of Subwoofers with 4 12 inch drivers. Forget the model number

Congratulations! You win the Dunlavy Owners Championship!

What amplifiers do you use to drive those subwoofers?

james789

Oct 16, 2019
Hello Viper, I have sent you an email reply. Cheers, VPN
hello vpn
i am new in the membership but am also a sc6 owner that wants to upgrade to your level Can you please email me all your mods and efforts to date so I can get mine done ? email is hotsprings888@gmaildotcom thanks james789

Brent71

Dec 14, 2016
I'm a relatively new Dunlavy owner. After owning a pair of B&W 802 S3 for the past 18 years I decided I wanted to try something else. I live in Cedar Rapids, IA and drove to Barrington, IL late this past summer to look at what was advertised as a pair of SC-IV/A in excellent condition. Turned out they were low serial number IVs with plenty of nicks and dings and one had a bad case of sun fading so I passed on them. I was so disappointed that they weren't /As and at wasting 8 hours driving and $75 in fuel for nothing.

I got back home late that afternoon a pair of SC-IIIs had popped up on FB Marketplace 100 miles West of me in Bondurant, IA . It took several weeks before our schedules aligned but I finally made the trip to check them out. I wasn't too impressed with them in his living room but the more I listened and moved around to different positions I knew it had to be his room, not the speakers. I just knew that so many people couldn't be wrong about how good they sound so I took a chance and paid $1200 for them. It took 2 or 3 weeks before I finally had time to set them up but was immediately impressed. They definitely need to be used with subs and I have a pair of B&W ASW600s that do a good job with them.

A couple months later I found a nice pair of SC-IVs on Audiogon in Fenton, MO. Another guy was interested in them too so I took another chance and paid $1650 for them with PayPal before I even saw them so the other guy didn't beat me to them. I drove down the next day to check them out and they were in beautiful shape with high serial numbers (842-A/B) so I loaded them up and took them home. I moved the SC-IIIs and put the IVs in the same spots and have been in love with them ever since. I also use my B&W ASW600 subs with them. I can't ever see myself replacing them unless I found the right deal on a pair of SC-IV/As or Vs.

My only regret is not owning a pair of Dunlavy's years earlier! I'm constantly impressed by how great they sound and how well they do everything right.

Reactions: Viper

Genesis168

Jan 26, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Hi guys, really late to the party... I am a long time owner of a pair of SC4 speakers. This speaker is currently the oldest component in my system. I had them since 1998 and had no desire to change them. Currently I’m having the itch to upgrade. The SC4 does everything beautifully here but I think I could use a little more in the bass region. My room is approx 15’ x 20’. Speakers are placed along the long wall. Thinking of going to a pair of SC4A or the SC5. What do you think? Will the sc5 be too big for the room?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing