Not exactly "vintage" but Dunlavy's literally rock

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
Genesis 168,
Have you thought about adding a sub or two to your system instead of changing out your speakers?

Scott

Genesis168

Jan 26, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Yes I did think of that but not sure how the subs would integrate with the speaker and the room. I’ve looked briefly at subs and found the Wilson audio watchdog interesting as it has a built in one band parametric eq. My room has a dip around 100hz and would benefit from the eq.

trapper

Mar 20, 2013
I have 4 sets of scV's. They are a whole different world from the 4's as I have several sets of them as well. I would just look for a nice used set and you will pleased. The 4's are fine but dont compare to the 5's. I have every model Dunlavy ever produced. The 5's have a lot more bass. Dont waste the money on the SC4A. They are better but not by much and no more bass

trapper

Mar 20, 2013
I'm a relatively new Dunlavy owner. After owning a pair of B&W 802 S3 for the past 18 years I decided I wanted to try something else. I live in Cedar Rapids, IA and drove to Barrington, IL late this past summer to look at what was advertised as a pair of SC-IV/A in excellent condition. Turned out they were low serial number IVs with plenty of nicks and dings and one had a bad case of sun fading so I passed on them. I was so disappointed that they weren't /As and at wasting 8 hours driving and $75 in fuel for nothing.

I got back home late that afternoon a pair of SC-IIIs had popped up on FB Marketplace 100 miles West of me in Bondurant, IA . It took several weeks before our schedules aligned but I finally made the trip to check them out. I wasn't too impressed with them in his living room but the more I listened and moved around to different positions I knew it had to be his room, not the speakers. I just knew that so many people couldn't be wrong about how good they sound so I took a chance and paid $1200 for them. It took 2 or 3 weeks before I finally had time to set them up but was immediately impressed. They definitely need to be used with subs and I have a pair of B&W ASW600s that do a good job with them.

A couple months later I found a nice pair of SC-IVs on Audiogon in Fenton, MO. Another guy was interested in them too so I took another chance and paid $1650 for them with PayPal before I even saw them so the other guy didn't beat me to them. I drove down the next day to check them out and they were in beautiful shape with high serial numbers (842-A/B) so I loaded them up and took them home. I moved the SC-IIIs and put the IVs in the same spots and have been in love with them ever since. I also use my B&W ASW600 subs with them. I can't ever see myself replacing them unless I found the right deal on a pair of SC-IV/As or Vs.

My only regret is not owning a pair of Dunlavy's years earlier! I'm constantly impressed by how great they sound and how well they do everything right.

Viper

Feb 3, 2015
Hello Trapper....You seem to be a Dunlavy Whore....LOL....I have a pair of SC-VI.....I have a single SC-IV...….Would you happen to have a single SC-IV you are willing to part with......

trapper

Mar 20, 2013
I am about 12 feet away from them. Ill try and post a picture of my 2 channel room. I dont have a single SC4 all mine are in pairs. Even have 4 HRCC1's center speakers with Sound Anchor stands. By FAR the best center channel speaker ever produced. I bough an entire trailer full of gear from the editor of Widescreen Review magazine a few years ago. Probably have 50 brand new drivers still in the original boxes. Even have big Subwoofers same size as the 5's. Unbelievaable 5 channel room. I am a lucky guy

Genesis168

Jan 26, 2018
Toronto, Canada
My sclV are spaced 12 feet apart tweeter to tweeter lightly towed in. Sitting distance 12.5 feet from tweeter to ear. To get same placement with an SC-V the back of the speakers will be less than 6 inches from the back wall. Front baffle would be approx 3 feet or a bit more from back wall. Will that work?

Trapper, how does this compare to your setup? I’ve heard and owned many speakers in my audiophile life and none can match the sc4 in naturalness and still own after 22 years. Not that they are inferior in any way. Just think they lack the last bit in the bass. A little extra lift would be great for certain music. As it is, it’s -6db at 25hz and -12db @ 20hz. Pretty darn amazing in my room. Have a dip at around 100hz.

Last edited:

trapper

Mar 20, 2013
The 12.5 inches must be feet? I would turn the speakers so they are directly pointing at you with equal distance to the rear wall. 3 feet to the rear is about what mine are. The SCV's are a big step up from the 4's especially in the bottom end.

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
- Hello-I am looking at 2 pair of Dunlavy speakers- One is a IVA in mint condition from a local seller- the other is a V up at goodwins in boston- but looking at the pics on agon the body looks beat up-
should I be concerned about the use if the frame is beat up seems more than the usual delamination of the dunlavy's- Is the V that much better for around the same price or is the 4a good enough- thanks

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
- Hello-I am looking at 2 pair of Dunlavy speakers- One is a IVA in mint condition from a local seller- the other is a V up at goodwins in boston- but looking at the pics on agon the body looks beat up-
should I be concerned about the use if the frame is beat up seems more than the usual delamination of the dunlavy's- Is the V that much better for around the same price or is the 4a good enough- thanks

I had a SC-V for three years (1995-1998), and then purchased a SC-VI (1998) which I still use (with lots of mods). I heard a SC-IVa at a dealer. IMHO, If you have a decent size room, the SC-V is much better than the SC-IVa. What matters in terms of sound is that the drivers be in good condition.

Cheers,

VPN

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I had a SC-V for three years (1995-1998), and then purchased a SC-VI (1998) which I still use (with lots of mods). I heard a SC-IVa at a dealer. IMHO, If you have a decent size room, the SC-V is much better than the SC-IVa. What matters in terms of sound is that the drivers be in good condition.

Cheers,

VPN
I'd love to see some pictures and descriptions of your upgrades.

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
guys thanks- Just got a great deal on a set of dunlavy V's-- picking them up sat.- thks

Reactions: VPN

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
question on set up- my room is 16x28- speakers will be on the 16' wall- or the short wall- what is the preferred set up- seems around 12'- want a good starting point and what about toe in- thanks again for the advice-

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
IIRC John Dunlavy recommended setting up on the long wall, as far as toe in I have my Cantata's set up so I just see the inside faces of the speaker when in my listening position.

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
VPN- Hi- so I just got the V's home- In person they actually looked great outside of the veneer having some ripples but all the drivers are perfect- Do you still feel the upgrade to the Seas tweeter is worth the $$$ and how difficult is it to install as I am not a carpenter--any other EASY upgrades you would rec. without taking apart the speakers- thks

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
VPN- Hi- so I just got the V's home- In person they actually looked great outside of the veneer having some ripples but all the drivers are perfect- Do you still feel the upgrade to the Seas tweeter is worth the $$$ and how difficult is it to install as I am not a carpenter--any other EASY upgrades you would rec. without taking apart the speakers- thks

Hello Bebop86,

I understand that the tweeter and midrange used in the SC-VI are the same used in the SC-IVa and SC-I. I don't know which tweeter is used in the SC-V, don't know would it integrates with the SV-V midrange (which is different from the SC-VI), and don't know the topology and cuttoff frequencies of the SC-V crossover. So, I don't know if the Seas Crescendo would work well in the SC-V.

Any mods entail some level of risk, so it is important to be very comfortable regarding your understanding before taking any risk. For example, I would very my like to try custom made Audio Technology C-Quenze or Flexunits midrange in my SC-VI, but I would have to increase substantially the diameter to place them on the enclosure, and I am not comfortable doing that at this time.

I had a pair of SC-V that sounded wonderful, perhaps the best path would be for you to just enjoy these great speakers. They will sound better and better as you upgrade source, preamp, cables, and other parts of your system over time.

Cheers,

VPN

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing