not sure i like the 'red' in thread snippets, seems to be distracting...

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Here is a sample link to Positive Feedback that points to a page talking about Lamm in Miami.

Can you tell which word has the link?

Quite easily, before clicking/hovering/etc on a desktop.
Inside a quote box your link is less visible while remaining identifiable as such.

You make a valid statement on the limitations of mobile architecture. No idea exactly how mobile page serves are handled differently nowadays as I rarely access the internet with anything running one of those OS. When I do it is a much improved environment from even a few years ago [screaming zonkers double underlined text in every permutation]. That amount of change is a leading element in examining what is a doable solution, long term.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Guys
as far as I am concerned I’m ready to dump the entire thing and go back to what we had Too much hassle trying to please all the people all the time

I made the case for Web standards. If the goal is pleasing all the people all the time, that's probably not going to happen. You're the site owner. Do what you think is best for your site. I thank you for trying.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
yes I can. All I do is move my pointer across the line and the link turns red
But with a tablet or phone, you don't have a pointer and have to click on every word to "find" the link. AFTER you found and clicked on the link, it will be red and underlined

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Guys
as far as I am concerned I’m ready to dump the entire thing and go back to what we had Too much hassle trying to please all the people all the time

No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater, Steve. We only ask for a clear visibility of web links *within* the text of a post, which is standard on most websites. This visibility was not given with how this site looked before the change either.

Reactions: christoph

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi Guys. I appreciate your input and help. I am in two minds on the blue links. The highlighting of links is an old standard going back to the start of the web, when text tended to be black only on white, and roll over / cursors didn't show a link. So they used blue, or purple on some html, many combinations. And visited links. But as the web progressed, and pages had colour backgrounds, or black backgrounds, coloured link text tend to go invisible, hard to see. And colour-blind folk... It is getting used less nowadays.

On WBF, we have a LOT of linked text, the member names for example. In most cases folk click text or names and pick up the links fine. It can become a bit of a colour mess if we set ALL links to blue.

I'll look into it and come back here to discuss later. Meanwhile I will try and get the drag / copy highlighting to be red again, as that is useful.

Thanks again guys.

Thanks. You don't need to set ALL links to blue or another standout color. That member names lead to a link is obvious.

We only ask for links to stand out where they must, because otherwise it is not obvious that they are a link, rather than just text. This means all links *within* the text of a post should stand out.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Once again I have explained the difficulty creating this with changing color as there are at least 50 different buttons to click to create a color change. We did it before and that was what caused all of the blow back as everything which was a link became red we have looked at this and if we cannot do it, it will be moot as I will not spend any more time or resources on this to try and please but a few people We have spent the past 5 days on this trying to make it right. So once again if we cannot do it the baby will be thrown out with the bath water. Frankly I have better ways to spend time and money as this has become a difficult task. Different sites use different methods We have a very elaborate and complicated add on which allows for every color change all over the forum. The issue that challenges us is to have the color for just a link in text. Whenever we make a change that we think is satisfactory it changes ALL of the links throughout the site. It was that which caused this thread and another questioning what we’ve done
Al M thinks this is just a simple button push and his wish will be granted It’s taken us 5 days to figure it out with people who know how to do this yet they also are stymied. So I would appreciate some understanding as to the difficulty of this task. We are not going to do anything which will result in disrupting the flow of the forum as we know it now.

Reactions: Al M. and rando

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Once again I have explained the difficulty creating this with changing color as there are at least 50 different buttons to click to create a color change. We did it before and that was what caused all of the blow back as everything which was a link became red we have looked at this and if we cannot do it, it will be moot as I will not spend any more time or resources on this to try and please but a few people We have spent the past 5 days on this trying to make it right. So once again if we cannot do it the baby will be thrown out with the bath water. Frankly I have better ways to spend time and money as this has become a difficult task. Different sites use different methods We have a very elaborate and complicated add on which allows for every color change all over the forum. The issue that challenges us is to have the color for just a link in text. Whenever we make a change that we think is satisfactory it changes ALL of the links throughout the site. It was that which caused this thread and another questioning what we’ve done
Al M thinks this is just a simple button push and his wish will be granted It’s taken us 5 days to figure it out with people who know how to do this yet they also are stymied. So I would appreciate some understanding as to the difficulty of this task. We are not going to do anything which will result in disrupting the flow of the forum as we know it now.
Steve,

IMHO the underline is perfect. Thanks for your effort and time.

Steve Williams

No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater, Steve. We only ask for a clear visibility of web links *within* the text of a post, which is standard on most websites. This visibility was not given with how this site looked before the change either.
Would you be kind enough to give us a link of an audio site using the same platform as us which has hyperlinks in text and the hyperlink is colored. Once again, I am sure that there are indeed websites whose platform allows the ability to give a color to a hyperlink and nowhere else. I see these every day on websites BUT they are not forums and they have a different platforms than us which allows for this. Show me an audio forum using our platform and add-ons and plug ins that have this rather than your casual comment that all other sites have this. Head-fi.org uses a platform almost identical to us and I noticed that the way they have done their links is identical to what we did. They have the largest and one of the oldest forums and their method we discovered is identical to what we have done only theirs is a yellow color and ours is red. The bottom line is that we are hoping there is away to make this happen. It won't for the next few days as we are now behind in assembling the News Letter which goes out this weekend and as I stated we have devoted more than enough time and money on this. Nothing is free Al M. You seem to thump your chest in disdain as you say "all 'we' want......."

We will revisit this on Monday and that will be our last attempt at this

Steve Williams

Steve,

IMHO the underline is perfect. Thanks for your effort and time.
Have a look at Head-Fi.org. They have done exactly the same as us but a different color. I am waiting for Al M to back up his claim that "other sites" can do this. Show me a colored hyperlink in a forum that has our same architecture and plug ins and add ons.
Sadly Al we can't always pull elephants out of our asses

Steve Williams

@Al M.

here is the last followup we just obtained as you feel this is such a simple thing to do..As I requested I await evidence that as you say, there are other sites which can create a colored hyperlink within the text. Show me one with our platform and add ons that has this

And here is the followup from Xenforo, Themehouse and our coder who has done everything in the past .......

"there is NO setting in the software which allows setting a hyperlink as color". Having said that Al we are told that "maybe" with some CSS code adding to the template for posts that affects ONLY that part of the forum and not the entire forum. If it is possible I will hire him to do the work Al. Perhaps you, who have been so vocal , might want to contribute to this endeavor as it costs us $$ to do it. We have a donate button Al. Perhaps you might pony up and help make it possible , assuming we can . The amount of time and resources we have spent trying to make this happen is not chump change......

Steve Williams

Finally some good news.....our coder has looked into the issue and says he can write the code to change the template. I have hired him once again and have already paid him to do such. This might happen as early as today. The color we have decided to go with will be a darker red. We will NOT discuss any other color which others might feel to be better. Red will be le coleur de jour and is non negotiable (if he can make this happen).

So Al you know where the donate button is....

Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Finally some good news.....our coder has looked into the issue and says he can write the code to change the template. I have hired him once again and have already paid him to do such. This might happen as early as today. The color we have decided to go with will be a darker red. We will NOT discuss any other color which others might feel to be better. Red will be le coleur de jour and is non negotiable (if he can make this happen).

So Al you know where the donate button is....

Thanks, Steve!

Steve Williams

Gentlemen......"the Eagle has landed". I think our coder has it done as all the links in the text boxes are in red and permanent. A redline appears under the hyperlink when hovering over the link. As a last gasp effort we are trying to have the line under the link always visible rather than only when you hover over it

I have checked throughout the forum threads and I am seeing in red all links in the text box and nowhere else. Could readers of this thread conform that there are no red links residing outside the text boxes. If not we can close the chapter on this as 5 days , many, many hours of work and finally being able to pay a coder to supersede the default position in the text boxes. He has been having a problem getting the underscore line to be visible with each link rather than seeing it when hovering above.

So this started as we discovered that certain current model laptops do not allow for full visualization of our registration page. It took many days and a lot of code to fix that, but I am confidant that that issue has been resolved. Out of that problem came the desire to have hyperlinks in the text box colored so that they can be immediately identified. It is IMPOSSIBLE to write code for a specific hyperlink in each text box so you will see that our usernames etc also show up in red. That's the way it will be if we are to have a solution to please everyone.

Thanks to everyone for being patient. This truly has been an unexpected burden as it consumed all of our man power and resources such that we are now trying to catch our tail to get the NewsLetter assembled and sent out this weekend

I found the best way to look for what we have done can be found here....scroll through each post

Reactions: tima

Steve Williams

Reactions: christoph and Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing