Ocean Way Audio HRA Loudspeakers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't Living Voice and Viva use radial horns on their speakers?

Yes, there also many replicas. Generally for WAF, these are the best and are wood and can be made to any colour. JMLC are tough to make in wood, and take more space (big circles). Multicell in wood is usually an Altec Vitavox thing, and Living voice did use a 4-cell multicell many years ago. Multicell looks uglier. Multicell is better for wider dispersion, and if your speakers are away from sidewalls. JMLC is more transparent and can work better if your speakers are near walls. Radial has more horizontal dispersion but less vertical. Christensenleif and his friends have compared JMLC, Radial, Constant directivity and found JMLC to have more drama on sonics, though Radial and constant directivity work better for smaller rooms.

You can also look up images of each of these, as well as Sato and tractrix.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Maybe ddk can comment but I'd say they are far closer to the concept of the JBL K2 S9500 than to the Kinoshita RM7?

View attachment 67225
It certainly looks that way but it's hard to say from pictures. A few years ago I looked at their HR2 studio monitors that are supposedly derived from vintage RCA's but aside from aesthetics they turned out to be very different speakers in every aspect.

thank you for bringing back memories, I used to have this speaker. When I bought it, I assumed it would work in smaller rooms, since this K2 was made for the Japanese market, where music rooms are of a smaller scale compared to the US. Unfortunately my room was too small. Anyway, great looking speaker, and it wasn't easy decision to sell it on.
They're lovely speakers Klonk sorry you couldn't get them for work you. JBL tweaked the bass on the S9500 to sound balanced in smaller tighter places. I have the slightly larger M9500's in a very small room and them to work very well. The seating position is about 5.5' from the front of each cabinet. Unlike the S9500's the bass in these goes low and I have to leave the door open for the bass to escape.

Room 2-1.jpg

L_002478_1.jpg

david

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
If I were to go Oceanway route, I would like their hr1's for sure :)

Attachments

• HR1_System4III.jpg
    HR1_System4III.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 47

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
73EB590F-C463-4674-9CF4-D8B17B41FB94.jpeg

91F8265D-A9B1-4255-9B5E-B09B5963225C.jpeg 75A6DB0D-458D-48A8-B1B6-7FCA41009989.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This HR1 looks like it might be a current production giant horn loudspeaker even DDK could love!

And apparently it's modular, so you can choose the woofer sections you want!

C6AC8A64-7D4F-4D47-8B27-82D008AF6D04.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There also is a single-tower HR2EX model:

4EADE4AB-EBBF-4FE5-8076-6F175E0740D8.jpeg

Reactions: christoph

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
It certainly looks that way but it's hard to say from pictures. A few years ago I looked at their HR2 studio monitors that are supposedly derived from vintage RCA's but aside from aesthetics they turned out to be very different speakers in every aspect.

They're lovely speakers Klonk sorry you couldn't get them for work you. JBL tweaked the bass on the S9500 to sound balanced in smaller tighter places. I have the slightly larger M9500's in a very small room and them to work very well. The seating position is about 5.5' from the front of each cabinet. Unlike the S9500's the bass in these goes low and I have to leave the door open for the bass to escape.

View attachment 67244

View attachment 67245

david

You have a beautiful room, it is bigger than mine, and I am sure your equipment creates great music. All the best.

Reactions: ddk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You have a beautiful room, it is bigger than mine, and I am sure your equipment creates great music. All the best.

What's the size of your room, and what are you playing now

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
What's the size of your room, and what are you playing now

My room is so small 3x4m, that I decided to use headphones only. Currently I have a Brinkmann Nyqvist DAC into a Rivieralabs AIC 10 with various headphones.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My room is so small 3x4m, that I decided to use headphones only. Currently I have a Brinkmann Nyqvist DAC into a Rivieralabs AIC 10 with various headphones.

Nice equipment. That small integrated is really good. Never tried with headphones though. I don't know much about headphones but try them at shows, and usually don't like them but was very impressed by the Viva 2a3 headdac.

Reactions: Klonk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I wanted to love them Ron but the problem lies with what you see on the floor between the speakers. I met them at CES several years ago and found out that depending on your configuration you need several channels of high powered, high current solid state amplification, that's a nonstarter for me. The HR2 which I was interested in has the same power requirements.

david

This HR1 looks like it might be a current production giant horn loudspeaker even DDK could love!

And apparently it's modular, so you can choose the woofer sections you want!

View attachment 67263

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I wanted to love them Ron but the problem lies with what you see on the floor between the speakers. I met them at CES several years ago and found out that depending on your configuration you need several channels of high powered, high current solid state amplification, that's a nonstarter for me. The HR2 which I was interested in has the same power requirements.

david
They also use active and DSP crossovers. These are modern pro audio speakers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

david

David,
Do you have experience with these speakers? https://devorefidelity.com/oref/

DeVore Fidelity Orangutan Reference

a1.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The orangutan are excellent value speakers, but tough to see how they will scale up to this reference level at that price.

But I am just happy to see micro looking in the right direction

Reactions: KeithR

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The orangutan are excellent value speakers, but tough to see how they will scale up to this reference level at that price.

But I am just happy to see micro looking in the right direction
The Orangutan is somewhat of a retro design and frankly if that's what one's after then at the same price points you can get one of the upper end JBL 43xx's, JBL Everest DD5500 or the JBL K2 S9500. All are much better performing speakers in every respect and are still high sensitivity and easy to drive with 20 watt SETs. Price point aside the Reference comes with active subs, that kills further investigation by me.

David

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But I am just happy to see micro looking in the right direction

Blessed are those who think there is right direction in this hobby ...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
They also use active and DSP crossovers. These are modern pro audio speakers.

Ugh! I was afraid of that! I saw all the references to electronic crossovers and equalization, and I was afraid the whole thing might run through DSP! :mad:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

david

Eeesh! Even big woofers aside, the basic horn cabinet requires big solid-state amplification?

If so, why I wonder why their big radial horn system is so insensitive?

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing