OMA polycrystalline graphite mat - why does it work?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Sounds interesting.
I believe, I have seen an early version of thr Audio Tekne mat, this one had no cut out for the label.

Has this been changed by Audio Tekne with their actual product? Has your carbon mat a Record label cut out?

Than I would order such a thick carbon mat!
There is no label cutout. AT may be willing to make you one with it though.

Reactions: shakti

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Have you ever considered the SPEC AP-UD1a?

The SPEC AP-UD1a made in Japan. This is the updated one, that has the center recessed to accommodate the record label. It's circumference, if I remember correctly, is also just slightly less than the original AP-UD1, to allow you to remove the record while still spinning so that you do not lift the platter mat off along with the record.

The following links talk mostly of the original SPEC AP-UD1. I haven't found much info on the new and improved, updated SPEC AP-UD1a as it is still pretty new.

Here is a link of one for sale https://audiotweaks.nl/product/spec-ap-ud1a/

Here is a link of Jeff Day commenting on the original SPEC AP-UD1. The AP-UD1a is the updated mat and is what you would want to have.
https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback.com/todays-fresh-catch-the-spec-ap-ud1-analog-disc-sheet/

I happen to have two of the AP-UD1a mats. I had ordered one, and simultaneously, my wife ordered me one as a present, not knowing I had already order it myself. I only have one turntable, so if anyone is interested in buying my second unused mat, let me know. I paid $350 ( it came to $372 with tax and shipping ). Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours :)

Best wishes,
Don

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Have you ever considered the SPEC AP-UD1a?

The SPEC AP-UD1a made in Japan. This is the updated one, that has the center recessed to accommodate the record label. It's circumference, if I remember correctly, is also just slightly less than the original AP-UD1, to allow you to remove the record while still spinning so that you do not lift the platter mat off along with the record.

The following links talk mostly of the original SPEC AP-UD1. I haven't found much info on the new and improved, updated SPEC AP-UD1a as it is still pretty new.

Here is a link of one for sale https://audiotweaks.nl/product/spec-ap-ud1a/

Here is a link of Jeff Day commenting on the original SPEC AP-UD1. The AP-UD1a is the updated mat and is what you would want to have.
https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback.com/todays-fresh-catch-the-spec-ap-ud1-analog-disc-sheet/

I happen to have two of the AP-UD1a mats. I had ordered one, and simultaneously, my wife ordered me one as a present, not knowing I had already order it myself. I only have one turntable, so if anyone is interested in buying my second unused mat, let me know. I paid $350 ( it came to $372 with tax and shipping ). Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours :)

Best wishes,
Don

I compared the SPEC directly with the Audio Tekne. The SPEC mat is fantastic. I did prefer the Audio Tekne slightly more though.

Reactions: No Regrets

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I compared the SPEC directly with the Audio Tekne. The SPEC mat is fantastic. I did prefer the Audio Tekne slightly more though.
That's awesome that you were able to compare the SPEC with the Audio Tekne!
I would consider that to be very high praise for the SPEC considering it costs less than half the price of the Audio Tekne :)
The other differences are that the SPEC is much thinner, so no need to be concerned for spindle length and it is much lighter as well... thereby causing less strain on the turntable motor.
Also, the newly updated SPEC AP-UD1a does have the record label cutout :cool:
For the money, I think it would be very difficult to find a better sounding platter mat.

Best wishes to all,
Don

djsina2

May 30, 2019
That's awesome that you were able to compare the SPEC with the Audio Tekne!
I would consider that to be very high praise for the SPEC considering it costs less than half the price of the Audio Tekne :)
The other differences are that the SPEC is much thinner, so no need to be concerned for spindle length and it is much lighter as well... thereby causing less strain on the turntable motor.
Also, the newly updated SPEC AP-UD1a does have the record label cutout :cool:
For the money, I think it would be very difficult to find a better sounding platter mat.

Best wishes to all,
Don

Yes that’s true, the SPEC is definitely easier to use with the average turntable. The only thing I didn’t like is the coating on the underside is instantly scratched up when using on the CSPort metal platter.

Reactions: No Regrets

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Yes that’s true, the SPEC is definitely easier to use with the average turntable. The only thing I didn’t like is the coating on the underside is instantly scratched up when using on the CSPort metal platter.
I can certainly understand that. I guess I've never noticed that aspect as I just always leave the SPEC platter mat on the platter, so I never see the bottom side of it ;)

Best wishes,
Don

jjhf1234

Jan 1, 2023
I have used Boston Audio graphite mats on my turntables for the past 15 years.
Another happy previous Boston Mat user. Would probably try it on my current table but it has a raised spindle area that would prevent it from resting flat

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
@dcc et al.
Thank you for your recommendations. I finally bought the Boston Mat and it works fine. Graphite makes a huge difference. Highly recommended. Thanks again, Basile
IMG_0928.jpeg IMG_0929.jpeg IMG_0931.jpeg IMG_0930.jpeg

Reactions: jjhf1234 and dcc

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hmm Interesting--the original SimonYorke Mat is Graphite -what is the differences with the OMA version--thank you

BruceD SY V2.jpg

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
Unfortunately, I have not compared the two in terms of sound. OMA was too expensive to risk the purchase. The Boston mat sounds excellent. The OMA is a bit thicker.

Reactions: BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing