One DAC To Rule Them All.... - Introducing the Kassandra from Aries Cerat

Hello gents

Lloyd,the closest Kassandra Mk2 demo from London is in Paris,paired with the Diana integrated.

About the BB1704...This is quite a converter and i value it a lot.It was a runner up,however,there are two issues that could not be resolved using it in our design

-The lack of perfect control of timing of conversion,or the "refresh" of the resistor network.THe control is not direct so the accuracy of the reclocking method would be wasted by internal timing circuits.

-It's resistor networks do not respond well when used in massive parallel numbers, (after 6-8)

Warsaw is our next goal for Europe.Hopefully, we will have something special in Munich this year :)

Hello gents

Warsaw is our next goal for Europe.Hopefully, we will have something special in Munich this year :)

Yes, as its in November, you have time. Contact Elberoth to see how to progress. Good luck, I may see you there next year.

Josh, as I said, Elberoth runs the Warsaw show! He participated in this very thread.

The Warsaw show is very international!! 11,000 visitors too and growing.

Please go read the coverage at www.parttimeaudiophile.com

Also here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...nd-(6-8-11-2015)-show-images&highlight=warsaw

As you can see the MSB Select, Amare Musica tube Dac, Trinity Dac Lampizator B7 HeadDac and the Chord Dave were there …as interesting new Dac offerings.

Right, but I am the US guy remember? Warsaw is too far for me to gain any local value to participate.

I know, I was asking you to pass on the info, but I see Stavros is here and saw the contact info I gave. All is well.

For those who like a good read and want to get the full rundown (and background) to this DAC Mono & Stereo just finished reviewing it.

Kassandra MKII DAC win Editors Choice

The limited edition 2- chassis version of the Kassandra DAC is under review by Dato and is already looking to be a game changer. You can see the preview here

The reference Model will be demo'd in Room 319 at THE Show Newport. I would encourage those who can to attend.

I thought I had read that review months ago.....no? He loves it and no doubt it is really GREAT! However, it is the usual totally over the top review of something where there is no reference to any other component. So it is meaningless to me and to most who would be interested in a $38,000 DAC. How does it compare to the $4000 T+A DAC playing PCM/DSD upsampled to DSD512 via HQPlayer? How does it compare to the new Meitner at $25,000 that upsamples everything to DSD1024? How does it compare to DCS, MSB, Trinity, etc. etc. etc.????? Maybe it beats them all.....time will tell.....but with the T+A upsampling a DSD64 track to DSD512 said to sound better than any turntable or reel to reel? Well, we shall see about this as well. Lots of cool stuff happening these days in digital. It looks like the inexpensive revolution is T+A plus HQplayer upsampling to 512 right now (Gustard is hot pursuit).

I thought I had read that review months ago.....no? He loves it and no doubt it is really GREAT! However, it is the usual totally over the top review of something where there is no reference to any other component. So it is meaningless to me and to most who would be interested in a $38,000 DAC. How does it compare to the $4000 T+A DAC playing PCM/DSD upsampled to DSD512 via HQPlayer? How does it compare to the new Meitner at $25,000 that upsamples everything to DSD1024? How does it compare to DCS, MSB, Trinity, etc. etc. etc.????? Maybe it beats them all.....time will tell.....but with the T+A upsampling a DSD64 track to DSD512 said to sound better than any turntable or reel to reel? Well, we shall see about this as well. Lots of cool stuff happening these days in digital. It looks like the inexpensive revolution is T+A plus HQplayer upsampling to 512 right now (Gustard is hot pursuit).

Few months ago he teased at the upcoming review. So this one is the full enchilada.

The short answer to your other question is it doesn't compare. You are welcome to be critical, but since I will be in town you are welcome to round up the boys and bring the aforementioned DAC's. Would be happy to put it to rest :)

I was not being critical....just want to know what is real.....certainly that review does not tell us anything, except he loves it. As far as A/Bing your 120lb. DAC with other things....I am afraid you will have to lug that thing around yourself. It is going to be hard, as most do not want to know where their current DAC stands (ego and money investment) and your DAC is a very rare hard to ship/lift beast. What you really need is a review by someone in a magazine that will actually A/B with the best stuff out there and tell us honestly what he hears in very precise language. I don't think you will sell many.....I see too many hernias! he he.

I was not being critical....just want to know what is real.....certainly that review does not tell us anything, except he loves it. As far as A/Bing your 120lb. DAC with other things....I am afraid you will have to lug that thing around yourself. It is going to be hard, as most do not want to know where their current DAC stands (ego and money investment) and your DAC is a very rare hard to ship/lift beast. What you really need is a review by someone in a magazine that will actually A/B with the best stuff out there and tell us honestly what he hears in very precise language. I don't think you will sell many.....I see too many hernias! he he.

If ego's could be crushed with an in person comparison, I think you have your answer to why there was an omission of comparable DAC's in the review. Glad you are observant Ric :)

While I would agree a magazine review would give more exposure, I would be reluctant as most of the credibility amongst my peers suggest the magazine route is questionable. Most feedback is if SF or TAS reviews something they like, they will look at it at best, but would take the review with a grain of salt until they heard it in person.

Time will tell....

Last edited:
(...)
While I would agree a magazine review would give more exposure, I would be reluctant as most of the credibility amongst my peers suggest the magazine route is questionable. Most feedback is if SF or TAS reviews something they like, they will look at it at best, but would take the review with a grain of salt until they heard it in person.

Time will tell....

This is mainly a descriptive review, in the usual style of MonoandStereo, with enough salt and pepper to trigger our wish of listening to it. Audiophiles have now good reasons to make a center/eastern Mediterranean cruise to listen to the several "alternative" DACs manufactured in the countries in this zone. :)

This is mainly a descriptive review, in the usual style of MonoandStereo, with enough salt and pepper to trigger our wish of listening to it. Audiophiles have now good reasons to make a center/eastern Mediterranean cruise to listen to the several "alternative" DACs manufactured in the countries in this zone. :)

What I like personally and professionally from the review is that it was the Reference Kassandra. This was designed to compete with the Total Dac, Trinity, MSD Select, etc.

There is still the Signature Kassandra and the Limited Edition which are still leagues ahead of the Reference model.

When Aries Cerat does Ultra High End they mean business. However, there will still be those that believe at its 35k price tag it would not compete with say an MSB Select at 80K+ (just basing it on price) and the Signature would be more appropriate.

It was really too bad we couldn't have the DAC showdown at Mikes place......

Quick Update:

Using Foobar as the media player and adding the DSD/SACD plugins the Kassandra DAC will play all DSD formats including double DSD. However, with Jriver it will only play a handful of DSD files so if Jriver is your preferred format you can add the Foobar plugin to pay your entire DSD collection.

Will be experimenting with Roon 1.2 in the near future.....

Quick Update:

Using Foobar as the media player and adding the DSD/SACD plugins the Kassandra DAC will play all DSD formats including double DSD. However, with Jriver it will only play a handful of DSD files so if Jriver is your preferred format you can add the Foobar plugin to pay your entire DSD collection.

Will be experimenting with Roon 1.2 in the near future.....

Rimage.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Have the privilege to get to know Stravos , the designer of Aries cerat . Got to know abit about his design philosophies & his explanation abt his horn speakers pique my interest . Maybe next year after MOC2017 , hopefully we will have the opportunity to listen to his full suite Aries cerat
What a fantastic demo of what Kassandra can do today paired with probably 2 of the best preamp in the world ie Audio note M10 signature & FM268C . How do I described it ? Superb , fantabulous , ultra realism , unbelievable & so on . For once I can believe that digital can sound as good if not better than analog & I m a die hard analog guy . Its difficult to thk that a new brand like Aries cerat can be that good , u owe it to yourself to audition Aries cerat kassandra if you are considering MSB select ( I owed Select 1 & sold off select 2 - long story ) , & some are pricey Dac like Lampi GG. Only set back is that it cost €82k including VAT . I was told the much cheaper reference model can compete with MSB select in certain aspect . Hearing is believing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg

With those prices you reel off, the Lampi GG is positively a bargain!
SE GG is about $15K retail and is 2 Dacs in a single box, PCM and DSD4x.

No doubt the Cassandra sounds great, just look at the components (sizes) and I have no trouble believing that, however, even the basic one is nearly $40K no?

I heard the MSB Select at a show and the Chord Dave impressed me as much if not more.

Last edited:
I meant to compare it with Arie Cerat reference Dac. I heard Lampi GG it's good as well . Selling for only USD15k ? Fr 6 moons , I understand it's retailing for €18k , abt the price range of AC reference in Europe

I meant to compare it with Arie Cerat reference Dac. I heard Lampi GG it's good as well . Selling for only USD15k ? Fr 6 moons , I understand it's retailing for €18k , abt the price range of AC reference in Europe

So One DAC to Rule them All

or

One DAC to Rule them All (?)

PS I am jealous...haven't heard any of his LE electronics yet

Joshua, FWIW I loved the sound of your DAC when I was in your room. The sound was indeed wonderful but as I told you the overwhelming size of the unit would preclude me from ever owning it as it just occupies too much geography for my room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing