One of the finest whiskeys - introducing Red Spot.

Looks like you are well equipped to enjoy St Paddys - a wonderful selection of the Very Rare Midelton.

May 2020 Update.

Still waiting on Total Wine to receive their batch of Red Spot. Drank some Red Spot before the Lockdown with Dan Meinwald (E.A.R. distributor) and my memory rang true about how unique & compelling this pot still whiskey is. Thanks Dan. Expensive but memorable.

I plan on comparing last year's batch of Red Spot to the 2020 batch of Red Spot. Be interesting to taste the difference between the two batches.
Waiting on delivery to my local Total Wine. More anon.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I just bought a Middleton very Rare 2020, vintage release but haven’t tried it yet. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with these different “vintages “ and can describe differences; if in fact, are there any? Different vintages/ growing seasons in wine can obviously have a large impact on the outcome. For distilled liquor, I’m having a hard time understanding how it’s more than a bit of marketing hyperbole.

Yes, the different vintages or batches taste different. At least with Middelton, you know what you are drinking. The barley might have had a wet or dry growing season as opposed to a normal year. The raw distillate is matured in sherry & bourbon casks, the trees grow differently depending on where they are sourced from. The previous occupant of the casks; the sherry or bourbon might have been slightly different from normal. So lots of variables outside of the master blenders control.
I am still waiting on the 2020 Red Spot to compare to a 2019 batch. Similarly, 2020 21 YO Red Breast does not taste similar to the 2017 batch. My drinking buddy preferred 2017, while I preferred 2020. We plan on comparing the two 21 YO Red Breast later on this week.

If you live in So. CA, I would happily invite you over to compare your 2020 VR Middleton to my 2013 VR.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hi Phillip,
thanks for the kind response and invitation... unfortunately, I live in Austin or I’d take you up on some whiskey tasting - btw, the invite goes both ways, if you’re ever in this neck of the woods do look me up.

On one of my very rare trips out of the house these days, I saw a bottle of 23 year old Redbreast. I didn’t know there was such a thing. I wonder if you’ve had this one and if you have any thoughts on it? I’m definitely enjoying the Irish whiskey.... thanks again for sharing your experiences.

I am not familiar with 23 YO Red Breast; by any chance do you mean 25 YO ? Red Breast have produced limited production, 19, 25 or 32 (Dream Cask); All Sherry & Mano A Lamh (Sherry) in v small quantities.

I will indeed take you up on your kind offer for whiskey tasting in Austin, when the Lockdown lifts & we are able to return to a more normal life, I should be presenting Gryphon in Austin by then.
Dia Dhuit agus Slainté.
(God be with you & good heath, in Gaelic)

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I have 2017,18, and 19 VR Midleton (not Middleton btw)
I rate them 19,17,18 in that order. The color varies a bit also....

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I have 2017,18, and 19 VR Midleton (not Middleton btw)
I rate them 19,17,18 in that order. The color varies a bit also....

King
looking well stocked for quarantine. I laugh every time the recycling truck comes around, all I hear is glass clanking around in everyone's containers.

Reactions: Kingsrule

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing