Hopkins' System

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Listening to the Peggy Lee video on my phone and comparing it to the sound of the same track played on the Qobuz app of my phone, it is obvious that there is some lower bass missing - but the vocals sound pretty good, and oddly enough the bass is not really missed that much when listening to the speakers. Even with modern tracks - I was playing "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk this afternoon - the sound is really engaging and easy to "get into" (I attribute that to the high transparency). But I am sure that properly implemented sub-woofers (perhaps even in the corners behind the listening point) could sound really good. Maybe someday...

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
I received the panels that will be hung on my back wall next week. They look nice (IMO), and the build quality is very good.

PXL_20240425_112331367.jpg

The wood panel behind will be moved to the side wall.

The 3 panels have PET felt. They are available in either 5 or 10cm depth. I chose the 5 cm depth for esthetic considerations, and I don't expect them to "transform" the sound in my room, but they should definitely help.

They are made in the Czech Republic:

The company answered all my questions promptly. The panels were well packaged and arrived safely. So I can recommend them!

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
In terms of sound quality, I expect that it should give a little more focus to the sound of my open baffle speakers, but I'll see. My room is over 11 meters long, so it makes sense to have the largest (well, longest) space possible behind the open baffle speakers, and have some form or room treatment on the back wall. On one of the side walls, I have my TV in front of a large window with an acoustic curtain. By rotating the TV, the sound from the speakers can be reflected away from the listening position.

On the other side wall, there is a couch and I plan to test redirecting first reflections as well. It is interesting to experiment.

I have bass traps in each back corner. I'm not terribly happy with the way they look, and may just replace them with something more discreet.

Work in progress...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing