Open Letter to Joel Davis Re: Axpona 2020

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I'm a landlord. When tenants don't pay rent, I usually have recourse. Right now, that right has been taken away. I still have to provide services, pay utilities, pay real estate taxes, insurance, etc, but increasingly with less revenue. The time will come when I have to decide what repairs to do, or if I will replace the frig when the tenant isn't paying rent. Something will give, I just don't know what yet. I am learning how to accept that, and trying to work around it, the new reality, though I don't see the fairness in it all. In the end, everyone will have to take a haircut, and some will lose more than others.

If the Axpona situation is not resolved to everyone's satisfaction, people will adjust and respond differently going forward. Many lessons are being learned from this crisis.
Sadly Peter there is no fair here. Some companies are eligible for help, some people are getting assistance others not. It SUCKS plain and simple. There are very few winners here as I see it. Axpona should be transparent to all the exhibitors that paid IN FULL as of Jan. 2020 for their participation. If they spent the money then I feel we have a right to know where it went and how we all can try to come to a reasonable ending here. That is what I feel is correct. Maybe they do not have a legal responsibility to us but they do have a moral responsibility if not a fiduciary one. Let me be perfectly clear I love the Axpona event and the venue however I also have a strong sense of right and wrong. Money is not my God and never will be.

As far as the Audio community this is a time for all of us to help in whatever ways we can.It is a small community of mostly dedicated, hard working passionate people. They did not ask for any of this crap and they deserve your support and help in any way you can. They are the victims here please don't forget that. They all booked in good faith.
I don't speak for anyone but myself but if Axpona does not give an accounting of where the 7 figures went then I don't care what the outcome is or what anyone else thinks, my decision is clear. If you have nothing to hide nd want to be part of the industry and the solution to the problem then just tell the whole truth. I think that is equitable .
Stay safe

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Dear AXPONA Exhibitors;

Since we announced last week that AXPONA 2020 had been cancelled due to COVID-19 we have received an outpouring of support and well wishes. We are appreciative that the majority of exhibitors understand the disastrous financial predicament we are facing and are willing to give us time to get back on our feet.

We have also received our fair share of criticism, lawsuit threats and demands for refunds. We get it. Many of you are hurting badly too. Unfortunately, JDE does not have the ability to issue refunds or respond to legal claims.

We are however determined to right the ship in the midst of this pandemic storm in order to continue serving the audio industry with a first-class event in Schaumburg, IL. JDE is on a mission to secure the funding we will need to ensure our future viability. To demonstrate our long-term commitment, AXPONA is pleased to present the following payment rollover plan:

50% of 2020 deposits toward the 2021 show

25% of 2020 deposits toward the 2022 show

25% of 2020 deposits toward the 2023 show

100% of 2020 deposits applied over 3 shows

To be clear, 100% of the deposits paid to JDE in 2020 will be credited over the next 3 shows to make 2020 exhibitors, sponsors and advertisers “whole”. In addition, AXPONA will not increase room, booth, advertising and sponsorship rates for the next 3 shows for companies that were signed up for the 2020 show.

JDE was born in 2002 out of the ashes of 9/11. We’ve endured the tech bubble burst, economic collapses, hurricanes and fires on tradeshow floors over the last 19 years. We have always figured out a way to come back from the brink. This pandemic is more devastating than anything we have lived through before but we believe we will overcome this too. We hope you will put your trust in us and place a bet on AXPONA because we will need the full support of this beautiful audio industry in order to pull off this comeback.

Please “reply all” to let me and the entire AXPONA team know if you support JDE and the above rollover plan. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Joel A. Davis

Founder & CEO, JD Events

Liz Miller, VP/Event Director

Jenabeth Ferguson, Interim Event Director

Mark Freed, VP Sales

Lou Mancini, COO

Jordan Brereton, Event Coordinator

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Dear AXPONA Exhibitors;

Since we announced last week that AXPONA 2020 had been cancelled due to COVID-19 we have received an outpouring of support and well wishes. We are appreciative that the majority of exhibitors understand the disastrous financial predicament we are facing and are willing to give us time to get back on our feet.

We have also received our fair share of criticism, lawsuit threats and demands for refunds. We get it. Many of you are hurting badly too. Unfortunately, JDE does not have the ability to issue refunds or respond to legal claims.

We are however determined to right the ship in the midst of this pandemic storm in order to continue serving the audio industry with a first-class event in Schaumburg, IL. JDE is on a mission to secure the funding we will need to ensure our future viability. To demonstrate our long-term commitment, AXPONA is pleased to present the following payment rollover plan:

50% of 2020 deposits toward the 2021 show

25% of 2020 deposits toward the 2022 show

25% of 2020 deposits toward the 2023 show

100% of 2020 deposits applied over 3 shows

To be clear, 100% of the deposits paid to JDE in 2020 will be credited over the next 3 shows to make 2020 exhibitors, sponsors and advertisers “whole”. In addition, AXPONA will not increase room, booth, advertising and sponsorship rates for the next 3 shows for companies that were signed up for the 2020 show.

JDE was born in 2002 out of the ashes of 9/11. We’ve endured the tech bubble burst, economic collapses, hurricanes and fires on tradeshow floors over the last 19 years. We have always figured out a way to come back from the brink. This pandemic is more devastating than anything we have lived through before but we believe we will overcome this too. We hope you will put your trust in us and place a bet on AXPONA because we will need the full support of this beautiful audio industry in order to pull off this comeback.

Please “reply all” to let me and the entire AXPONA team know if you support JDE and the above rollover plan. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Joel A. Davis

Founder & CEO, JD Events

Liz Miller, VP/Event Director

Jenabeth Ferguson, Interim Event Director

Mark Freed, VP Sales

Lou Mancini, COO

Jordan Brereton, Event Coordinator
Nice reply Elliot from JD Events...it looks as if your best showroom is still planning to be in business, congratulations!

...even better, if you could make the balance payments when the show opens...best of luck to you all...

Best,
Alan

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Nice reply Elliot from JD Events...it looks as if your best showroom is still planning to be in business, congratulations!

...even better, if you could make the balance payments when the show opens...best of luck to you all...

Best,
Alan
Alan, I don't believe that is what they are expecting and I have a few questions that need answering before making any decision.
IN the past they expected payment in Sept/Nov/Jan.
THis is quite a leap of faith if those payments are not protected in the event that the show in 2021 doesn't happen.

Reactions: Leif S

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Alan, I don't believe that is what they are expecting and I have a few questions that need answering before making any decision.
THis is quite a leap of faith if those payments are not protected in the event that the show in 2021 doesn't happen.
...simple answer for the “gang of 85.”

Fortunately for you all, your largest North America showroom will continue and you did not humorously shoot yourselves in your collective 170 feet by this amazing feat of publicly airing your laundry :).

Here it is...the 2021 balance deposits go into an Escrow account and your show partner could potentially collateralize these funds and use them along with his good name to personally guarantee a loan for his cashflow needs prior to the show’s opening.

BTW, did you ever reread the previously mentioned Shakespeare piece?

Best,
Alan

Last edited:

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Since they are offering to roll 50% over to 2021 I don't think we should have to pay the remaining balance till a week prior to the show.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Since they are offering to roll 50% over to 2021 I don't think we should have to pay the remaining balance till a week prior to the show.
I agree on that Leif but thats not my only problem If they want us to trust them and be in this together then be forthright and give us a full accounting of how the funds were used, If they have nothing to hide then just show us. I know they make a profit and I respect that since we all have the right to do such but just TRUST ME doesn't cut it.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I wouldn’t pay the balance until the show has ended in 2021. Trust is a big word to be using right now with these guys.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
So they're effectively forcing exhibitors to sign up for three shows and triple their outlay to get 100% of this year's payment payment back? WOW!

Reactions: XV-1 and howiebrou

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
So they're effectively forcing exhibitors to sign up for three shows and triple their outlay to get 100% of this year's payment payment back? WOW!

Nobody gets this years payment back.

They will never give any refunds, just use it as a credit over the next 3 years.

What a joke.

Has any other hifi show in the world done this?

Has anyone contacted the hotel to see if they actually held back refunds to Axpona?

Reactions: howiebrou

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
To my understanding the hotel has rolled over their reservation to 2021. So it appears that they paid for that. The classy thing to do if they are not going to refund after violating their own contract would be to simply offer the same room to the same exhibitors next year at no charge and call it good. That is how you show Good Faith.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing