Orotofon MC Anna Diamond cartridge

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
on Thursday i received my new Ortofon MC Anna Diamond cartridge. tonight i finally found the time to mount it in my 2 month old Durand Tosca tone arm on my NVS turntable. from 2012 to 2016 the original MC Anna cartridge was my reference, finally supplanted 3 years ago by the Clearaudio GFS (Goldfinger Statement v2) which was on the Tosca arm until tonight.

https://www.ortofon.com/mc-anna-diamond-p-898

the new Anna Diamond was just released on July 31st, so mine is one of the first ones. and since i ordered it a review from Fremer appeared in the latest Stereophile on it that is pretty much a rave.

i've been listening for about 2 hours now and my first impressions are very positive. the words that come to mind are explosive, slam, detailed, textured, and flow. it seems to retain the refinement and harmonic richness of the old Anna, but adds Formula 1 like speed and energy.......with cat like fluidity and grace. the Anna D naturally separates things more naturally in the sound stage, and has an ease and control that makes it easy to relax into.

when i receive the arm boards for my new Saskia model two turntable, the Durand Tosca and Anna D will be moved to that turntable. hopefully sometime this next week.

more later......

AD-1.jpg AD-2.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Mike, and thank you for this preliminary report!

Well the Tosca be staying on the Saskia, or will you be getting a second Tosca for the NVS?

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations, Mike, and thank you for this preliminary report!

Well the Tosca be staying on the Saskia, or will you be getting a second Tosca for the NVS?

thank you Ron.

my recent vinyl 'double-down' with the new Tosca, new/old Saskia, and now the new Anna Diamond is in full song, just waiting for those pesky arm boards to arrive. then i think i step back and enjoy things for some time and take a deep breath. just worry about the music and pressings to find and listen to. try to get the gear focus on the back burner.

another Tosca, another cartridge, or a different arm.......maybe later. i'll have to see whether i have the appetite to go down those roads. likely not. i feel like these additions bring my vinyl energies and fun-quotient up to where i wanted it to be.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mike, once you have lived with the Diamond Anna for a while can you post a comparison to the GFS?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, once you have lived with the Diamond Anna for a while can you post a comparison to the GFS?

for sure. quick take is........that this Anna D digs deeper into the music than the GFS.......you are closer to the essence. it's more explosive and separates things better. more expressive. but things like authority, ease and rendering space and scale will take more time to assess.

you have to forget what you thought about the old Anna with this one. it's a different animal. this one is very refined but it is also very exciting.

Last edited:
Reactions: dminches

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Got in a quick listen today at Mike's. Not broken in yet, but this is a really, really good cartridge.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If I cannot repair my A90, this is also the one I would get

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice to know that Ortofon has another winner in the race. Does any one know what is the Ortofon stylus replacement/ exchange policy for the Anna Diamond?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Sounds very inviting! It looks like a perfect match for a 4 point, am I right? 18gr effective mass of 4 point, 16gr weight for Anna diamond and say 1 gr for screws makes a total 35grams. The dynamic compliance of Anna D. is 9 µm/mN so, the resonance would be 8.967hz. If these calculations are right and the cartridge is good sounding, it is definitely a contender for me. I will be asking for a quote from my dealer today. Thanks @Mike Lavigne

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Last edited:

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
i've been listening for about 2 hours now and my first impressions are very positive. the words that come to mind are explosive, slam, detailed, textured, and flow. it seems to retain the refinement and harmonic richness of the old Anna, but adds Formula 1 like speed and energy.......with cat like fluidity and grace. the Anna D naturally separates things more naturally in the sound stage, and has an ease and control that makes it easy to relax into.
The Anna Diamond sounds like a worthwile upgrade to the original MC Anna, congratulations. It seems to be close to the MC Century sound wise the way you describe it. Do you still have your old MC Anna to make a direct comparison?

One thing I'm wondering about though is the fragility of a diamond cantilever compared to a normal boron cantilever. I would expect a diamond cantilever to be much less flexible than any kind of metal rod or tube, and maybe even somewhat brittle, and therefore maybe more vulnerable to any kind of blow it gets? Does anybody have experience in regard to this, e.g. from comparisons of Koetsu cartridges?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Diamond cantilever's regardless of brand (only a few) up the game over their boron counterparts based on my experience with boron and diamond cantilevers on Koetsu Coralstones ( i own both). MC Century and now Anna. Ortofon is on it !

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
One thing I'm wondering about though is the fragility of a diamond cantilever compared to a normal boron cantilever. I would expect a diamond cantilever to be much less flexible than any kind of metal rod or tube, and maybe even somewhat brittle, and therefore maybe more vulnerable to any kind of blow it gets? Does anybody have experience in regard to this, e.g. from comparisons of Koetsu cartridges?

I too was nervous about the diamond cantilever's potential fragility, but after running Koetsu Diamond since March I've relaxed a whole lot about that. No experience with "blows" to diamond, but I'm not sure boron models have much of a practical advantage there. The only accident I've had with a Koetsu (getting slammed into the spinning record and bounding across it) was an Onyx boron; the stylus popped right out, never to be seen again, with the cantilever visibly unharmed - so any hypothetical strength advantage of the boron was for naught in that case.

The only downside is that they tend to be a little shorter and harder to see/align with the naked eye (tough on a SMARTractor; Mint LP should still be good). It absolutely raises the level of performance of the cartridge, as Christian writes, and it's pretty striking. Much better than boron.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackelsson

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Sounds very inviting! It looks like a perfect match for a 4 point, am I right? 18gr effective mass of 4 point, 16gr weight for Anna diamond and say 1 gr for screws makes a total 35grams. The dynamic compliance of Anna D. is 9 µm/mN so, the resonance would be 8.967hz. If these calculations are right and the cartridge is good sounding, it is definitely a contender for me. I will be asking for a quote from my dealer today. Thanks @Mike Lavigne
Yes, in fact it's designed for heftier arms (of course the 4 point isn't gimbaled, but that doesn't matter):

"The cartridge is a perfect match for a high-mass, high-precision tonearm with gimbaled bearing." (link)

See also the MSL Platinum Signature, which will resonate at about 9.3Hz on a 4 point, assuming they're properly specifying compliance.

Reactions: kodomo

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i need to sell either my Ortofon Anna Diamond (had 5 months), with 20-30 hours on it, or my Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement (had 2 years), with 90-100 hours on it, to fund some other acquisitions. i am the original owner of each and bought both new.

i love both cartridges, but the wife says i have to do this. and so i'm doing it. :-(

trying to avoid posting an ad if i can.

once i sell one of them, i will keep the other one. please PM me for a price or questions.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Mike,
Purely out of curiosity are you agnostic as to which one your sell and which one you keep?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Dear Mike,
Purely out of curiosity are you agnostic as to which one your sell and which one you keep?

i can make a case for keeping either. and selling neither. but the wife has a veto on that second thought.:(

the GFS is my long term trusty reference, the Anna D. is the new kid on the block. i'll miss whichever goes. the higher output of the GFS has it's benefits. the Anna D. really likes my new Durand Tosca tonearm. i love how both sound......they are top of the heap cartridges.

before i offered both for sale i tried to decide, but realized i could not. so i figured the fickle finger of fate would decide.

sigh. double-sigh.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
i can make a case for keeping either. and selling neither. but the wife has a veto on that second thought.:(

the GFS is my long term trusty reference, the Anna D. is the new kid on the block. i'll miss whichever goes. the higher output of the GFS has it's benefits. the Anna D. really likes my new Durand Tosca tonearm. i love how both sound......they are top of the heap cartridges.

before i offered both for sale i tried to decide, but realized i could not. so i figured the fickle finger of fate would decide.

sigh. double-sigh.
I will buy either Mike if it comes with your championship 3-D sound stage.

Tang :)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing