Outboard Armpod Project for SME 30/12 turntable

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
For quite some time I have been curious to compare my SME V-12 tonearm to an SME 3012R. I would also like the flexibility of having two tonearms with two cartridges. Unfortunately, my SME 30/12 turntable is designed to only accommodate one tonearm, and complicating matters even more, it will not accommodate a 3012R because of the required clearance for the counterweight mechanism to swing free of the right rear suspension tower.

To solve these problems, I began to design an outboard armpod for my turntable last Spring. The design is complicated by the dimensions of a steel ballast plate I use below by turntable. Space is tight with only 4" at the rear of the turntable and about 8" on the left side. The platter is also not symmetrical relative to the left and rear sides of the turntable chassis, so what might work in one location, may not work in the other. I contacted SME and they sent me a drawing with the precise specifications for the SME mounting requirements. I then looked up the nominal spindle to pivot distance for both the 3012R and V-12 tonearms and got to work.

Here are the armpod’s design goals:

1. Accommodate both the V-12 and 3012R tonearms
2. Be located at either the left or rear positions
3. Have adjustable height
4. Accommodate multiple top plates of different materials
5. Easy access to cable connections
6. High mass for sound quality
7. Difficult to move
8. Attractive with good fit and finish
9. Cost was not considered

I started by calculating the required dimensions. I then made some paper templates to see what would work. Some designs would work in the side location, but not the back location, and visa versa. I then made three wooden prototypes to confirm dimensions, aesthetics and easy of use.

I settled on the most massive and convenient design, a large rectangular base block with a flat rectangular top plate with SME mounting cutout. The #304 stainless steel base has two types of adjustable footers, knurled thumb screws with shoulders and threaded spikes. The thumb screws have a flat bottom so that I have the option to later add some Isodamp material to their bottoms. This will make it even harder to slide the armpod out of position, and it will allow for experimentation with some isolation.

There are two top plates, each 30mm thick made of #304 stainless steel and brass. The SME armboard on the 30/12 turntable is made of brass. The total weight of both the base unit and one top plate is 40 lbs.

I spent a few weeks coming up with the design and creating the drawings and specifications. I took the design to four local machine shops for quotes. Three shops were too busy or did not want to take on such a small, one off project. One machinist agreed to do it, but he was busy and had to wait for a free machine. It took three months to finish the job.

I mounted the 3012R and installed the armpod about a week ago. I am very pleased with the results. The project meets all of its design goals, but most importantly, it sounds great.

I would like to publicly thank member ddk for all of the assistance he has given me with both the SME 3012R arm and with this armpod project. Without his advice, the project would not have been such a success. Thank you David.

Here are some photos in the next few posts showing the paper templates, the wood prototypes, and the end result:

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_5423.JPG

IMG_5436.JPG

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for posting the detailed chronology of this project, Peter! The arm-pod looks fantastic!

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Nicely executed, indeed. You clearly spent a lot of time on this, and it's great that you're so satisfied with the outcome. Great idea with the wood prototype. Did you mill the wood yourself? Do you have a wood shop?

One question, what exactly did you use for feet on the arm tower? You mentioned "thumb screws", so obviously they're threaded into the arm tower so the arm board can be leveled. We're these something you found at Grainger (or similar)?

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
that whole project is so 'Peter'! and i mean that in the most respectful, admiration filled way. i wish i could be like you.

agree it looks great, glad you are happy with the result after such a comprehensive effort.

Reactions: ack and bonzo75

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wonderful record of the project, Peter. Very admirable and I look forward to hearing the results!

Reactions: Al M. and ack

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. As a former designer (architect), I had a lot of fun with this project. Best news is that I am really enjoying the sound of the 3012R and Master Signature on this platform. Might it sound even better elsewhere, most certainly, but this little experiment has gotting my feet wet towards the possibilities.

@bazelio: Yes, I made the wood prototypes myself with scraps of plywood. Some were left over from my old DIY birch plywood rack project. The prototypes were used to confirm dimensions and form factor. The round pillar was nice, but I did not like the cable access. The block/post/cantilever would have worked nicely, but I could not get the dimensions to work in the rear position. The post location was either in the top chassis of the turntable, or off of the steel ballast plate on which the tables sits. At bottom is a photo of the footer.

@Mike Lavigne: That is too funny, "so Peter"....I'm slowly dismantling what I thought I knew about audio. Out with the old, in with the new.

@MadFloyd: Glad this project got a new post out of an old member and friend.

@NorthStar: Thanks Bob. All is aligned with the world, and the music is beautiful

@tima: Thanks Tim. All pieces are machined from solid #304 stainless steel or brass. They are solid and very heavy.

91830a581-@1x_637002692885189125.png

Reactions: VLS

cdk84

Dec 19, 2015
Well, Peter, you're doing it again: letting go of something you have suspected didn't work for you. It's exciting to see you work your way through the mystery that is the High End.

Congratulations on completing the Armpod! It reminds me of a conversation we had years ago about Raoul Irouegas' interest in the naked turtable --one without a plinth; he took a similar approach in creating armpods for his tonearms. Certainly the result you have created is both elegant and functional.

Can't wait to hear the 3012R with the new Colibri. I look forward to this next chapter.

sonyfan101

Sep 2, 2019
The armpod looks great. @PeterA have you had any time to compare the 3012R and your V with the same cartridge to isolate characteristics of each arm?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Nice work Peter, very thorough..!

Does the top plate bolt directly to the block, or is there any coupling or isolating membrane in the joint? And how did you resolve the feet? is there leveling built in?
Congratulations on a fun project :)
Rgds,
Paul

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The armpod looks great. @PeterA have you had any time to compare the 3012R and your V with the same cartridge to isolate characteristics of each arm?

Thank you very much. I have not yet begun any comparisons but that is certainly going to happen. There will be the inevitable unequal platforms, so it will never be a completely direct comparison unless I move the V 12 arm to the armpod.

It should be fun and Interesting and I will share my impressions here.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Nice work Peter, very thorough..!

Does the top plate bolt directly to the block, or is there any coupling or isolating membrane in the joint? And how did you resolve the feet? is there leveling built in?
Congratulations on a fun project :)
Rgds,
Paul

Thank you Paul. The top plate bolts directly to the block with no membrane between the two. There are 3 feet which are all adjustable in height so the unit can be leveled and adjusted. I have two sets of feet, one is flat so I could put some compliant material under those and the other is a set of spikes which I have not yet tried. Everything is adjustable and I have two top plates one out of stainless steel and one out of brass.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I expect there to be a fairly audible difference between the steel and brass plates. Do you think you'll experiment with them at some point?

Reactions: 108CY

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I expect there to be a fairly audible difference between the steel and brass plates. Do you think you'll experiment with them at some point?

Yes I do, but first the system has to stabilize. At the moment I’m adding steel plates under my components on the rack. The sound is changing. I’m also about to embark on an electrical change. Once it’s all settled I will experiment with comparing the two tone arms with the same cartridge and then the two toned arms on the arm pod and then the two different top plates on the arm pod. I have a lot of variables in the system now. I must say I am enjoying having two arms and two cartridges.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing