Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin hasn't heard the KR, RK, or EML performing properly because of his previous preamp and running apogees with 211s. That said RK 300b are BS

Ked's right I haven't heard anything really. He's right to look down on me like he knows way more when in fact he knows way less.;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked's right I haven't heard anything really. He's right to look down on me like he knows way more when in fact he knows way less.;)

Justin you can't universally repeatedly diss the entire line without having ever heard them outside your system where your older preamp was too low resolution to show any goodies and the older power amp was clearly under running your speaker. Feel free to diss them after listening to at least two other Lampi set ups.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Hello peeps

I changed over to a SE only preamp (GATV2) and getting a static/hum when I connect the RCA into the Pacific Dac. I’ve isolated to the Pacific as this does not happen on my Elyse Dac. My other components:
krell 403 E amp
Small green computer NAS
SONORE signature rendu
CJ GATv2
Focal Utopia Evo Scala

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Hello Redphu,

Was there previously any noise/hum with your Pacific? If not my guesses would be along the lines of a grounding issue--potentially power or interconnect. Are you using shielded interconnects? have you tried others?

It could also be a ground loop hum potentially--any way you could change the circuit the DAC or pre is plugged in? If not, do you have a cheater plug handy?

Fred A.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Hello Redphu,

Was there previously any noise/hum with your Pacific? If not my guesses would be along the lines of a grounding issue--potentially power or interconnect. Are you using shielded interconnects? have you tried others?

It could also be a ground loop hum potentially--any way you could change the circuit the DAC or pre is plugged in? If not, do you have a cheater plug handy?

Fred A.
There was no hum previously when using the XLR. Issue started with the RCA cables. Corrected it partially in swapping out the preamp by using a single dedicated outlet/circuit and plugging everything into a power conditioner. I’m waiting for Lukazs to trouble shoot. The cheater is next on my list.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
All is true.

One thing that's really annoying is looking at the RK price, then seeing the VAT and handling charges increase the price by a substantial amount.

Anyway, owning a valve tester is very highly recommended if you want to buy new or NOS. What's come in as new to me definitely hasn't always measured that well in practice. Very often the NOS tubes come in substantially better. Really.
Problem is you cant test the vintage tubes BEFORE buying on Ebay. Puss in the bag kinda thing.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
There was no hum previously when using the XLR. Issue started with the RCA cables. Corrected it partially in swapping out the preamp by using a single dedicated outlet/circuit and plugging everything into a power conditioner. I’m waiting for Lukazs to trouble shoot. The cheater is next on my list.
Also the hum is present when the Lampi Pacific Dac is powered on or off. Again no hum present when using modwright Dac.

Reactions: Ed_K

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Problem is you cant test the vintage tubes BEFORE buying on Ebay. Puss in the bag kinda thing.

You know when you've been ripped, though. And can file a PayPal dispute etc etc if the seller won't take them back.

Look the facts are basically this. If the seller has a 100% rep, sales of over 50 or so NOS tubes and includes decipherable measurements in his listing then my experience is that if he states the tubes measure as NOS or higher, IT IS BETTER than buying new tubes from an established seller.

Why? Because you have the measurements up front.

A lot of new tube dealers seem to be really good at supplying valves that aren't that well matched, if at all, and that do not meet established new specs for that tube type.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Justin you really have no clue how to fix or even follow directions. I learned this first hand trying to help you. It’s very unfair for you to post negative comments as of you Know anything.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You know when you've been ripped, though. And can file a PayPal dispute etc etc if the seller won't take them back.

Look the facts are basically this. If the seller has a 100% rep, sales of over 50 or so NOS tubes and includes decipherable measurements in his listing then my experience is that if he states the tubes measure as NOS or higher, IT IS BETTER than buying new tubes from an established seller.

Why? Because you have the measurements up front.

A lot of new tube dealers seem to be really good at supplying valves that aren't that well matched, if at all, and that do not meet established new specs for that tube type.
The tubes you talk about are rare and are usually coming from East Europe or India or some far flung place. They dont have that great rep and fraud is rife. If its a UK guy like Yitry, then I agree, but how many reputable people have quality NS PX25 or AD1 to sell?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have had issues with tubes not often but true. One guy a nice man sent me two pairs of tubes both were noisy. He said he made an amp to test the second pair too lol. He did give me my money back. nos tubes are a risk but for me worth the risk

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin you really have no clue how to fix or even follow directions. I learned this first hand trying to help you. It’s very unfair for you to post negative comments as of you Know anything.

I see why you sense that but I know you don't understand the context of that response. Only a few do, and even then they don't really fully.

Trust me, that statement was made for a very solid reason. And it is 100% thoroughly deserved.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The tubes you talk about are rare and are usually coming from East Europe or India or some far flung place. They dont have that great rep and fraud is rife. If its a UK guy like Yitry, then I agree, but how many reputable people have quality NS PX25 or AD1 to sell?

The Tesla AD1 is rare. The PX25 not so much. There have been a lot in eBay over the past few months though it has dried up a bit now.

Anyway, rep is easy. eBay feedback doesn't lie and if it isn't excellent, and I really do mean excellent, like 98% or above, and you observe what I said above you should be very safe.

A lot depends on how confident you feel about using eBay and any bad experiences you may have had.

I notice a couple of pairs of NOS PX25 have just appeared at joke prices. I've not seen that before now.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Ebay feedback does lie! It may be better now, but feedback scamming was a thing! Even got stung for a small thing in the UK a few years back.

I have been using Ebay for more than prolly 15 years.

Vintage px25 were starting at $1800 a pr on ebay.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Justin we shared a common private group correct ? I personally tried to help you even though many said don’t bother for there now good reasons. I admit audio people have passion and this leads us to distrust and frustrations I get this part but if one lends a hand it’s well worth to try as asked. I have helped many in grounding and I sell no products. I get your upset but let it go man. I had a dac from LAMPI that I sent back after trying many methods to stop the many noises. I even had Lucas on the phone Helping me point to point. It shipped back it came back it still made noise. In the end it was environmental from my router some 5 feet away. It’s why I say no routers , no stacking. Even if we don’t hear nosies these methods clearly improve if used.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Nice sentiments but don't worry and I did appreciate you trying to help.

Trouble is I know what the problem is and so do two electrical engineers who only told me what I already knew. One offered to write to Lucasz but by that stage it was pointless.

It will probably get some Toroidy trannies but it is off to another engineer this week before we make a decision.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I have gone thru 8 Lampi dacs. Not once did I ever have a humming problem. Only ever had humming issues with an ungrounded TT. Instalked a ground cable and problem disappeared.

Now in Europe we use spur lines for electrics. UK uses ring electrical circuit and that is prone to many audio issues. I know a few UK audiophile who rip out the ring setup and run spur line architecture...but of course that violates code.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Bro sell it already it’s a never ending saga of twisted stories. I could not even get a Straight answer from you if it was an acoustic audible hum or a hum through your system speakers and or seems it’s still cryptic lol. Anyway by now it’s obvious to any LAMPI owners there is confusion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing