Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Thanks to Goran, Christoph, Colin and Rob. I just ordered my Pacific today. Next up LDMS server. I appreciate all of your feedback through this process.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks to Goran, Christoph, Colin and Rob. I just ordered my Pacific today. Next up LDMS server. I appreciate all of your feedback through this process.
Congrats on your decisions :cool:
That will make for an awesome system with your wonderful horns and amps :D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I would be sure to ask Fred or Lukasz to use the new JL Sounds XMOS USB board rather than the old Amanero USB Board

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
All:

Add one more to the Lampi group - I recently became a new owner of a (used) Pacific, balanced with VC :) This was spruced up by Lampizator before it was shipped out, so it is in extremely nice condition. It's still breaking in (as it has new caps etc), but it already sounds pretty amazing. Very spacious and lush without being muddy and great dynamics as well. My previous DAC was the Mscaler/DAVE combo, so quite a different beast and I'm really enjoying it.

I do have one minor issue that I'm hoping the Pacific experts here can help with. While the sound is really great, there's a low grade persistent hum in the low treble range. I don't notice it with loud or normal passages, but becomes obvious when playing soft passages. And of course, once I noticed it, I can't unhear it ;-) The really odd thing is that the hum stops a few second after I hit pause or stop (but not if I mute the Pacific). I hear it on both ethernet input (my primary choice currently) as well as on USB (though it was lower in volume with USB).

My configuration is very simple. The end to end chain from the panel is as follows:

Electrical: 40A breaker -> sub panel -> three dedicated 20A circuits
Source: Pacific as Roon End point via ethernet
Preamp: built in preamp in Pacific using balanced out
Amp: Viva Aurora (SET monoblocks)
Speakers: Avantgarde Trio XDs (just the horns, subwoofers are JL Audio Gotham) I hear the hum in the midsize horn

Suspecting a potential ground loop, I also connected the amps and DAC to a cheap Furman power conditioner (so they are on the same circuit), and while the sound is obviously worse, I still heard the hum.

Any ideas are most welcome. The fact that the hum stops a few seconds after pausing the music is really interesting and am hoping is a tell tale sign of something obvious to someone here...

Thanks!
Anil

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
All:

Add one more to the Lampi group - I recently became a new owner of a (used) Pacific, balanced with VC :) This was spruced up by Lampizator before it was shipped out, so it is in extremely nice condition. It's still breaking in (as it has new caps etc), but it already sounds pretty amazing. Very spacious and lush without being muddy and great dynamics as well. My previous DAC was the Mscaler/DAVE combo, so quite a different beast and I'm really enjoying it.

I do have one minor issue that I'm hoping the Pacific experts here can help with. While the sound is really great, there's a low grade persistent hum in the low treble range. I don't notice it with loud or normal passages, but becomes obvious when playing soft passages. And of course, once I noticed it, I can't unhear it ;-) The really odd thing is that the hum stops a few second after I hit pause or stop (but not if I mute the Pacific). I hear it on both ethernet input (my primary choice currently) as well as on USB (though it was lower in volume with USB).

My configuration is very simple. The end to end chain from the panel is as follows:

Electrical: 40A breaker -> sub panel -> three dedicated 20A circuits
Source: Pacific as Roon End point via ethernet
Preamp: built in preamp in Pacific using balanced out
Amp: Viva Aurora (SET monoblocks)
Speakers: Avantgarde Trio XDs (just the horns, subwoofers are JL Audio Gotham) I hear the hum in the midsize horn

Suspecting a potential ground loop, I also connected the amps and DAC to a cheap Furman power conditioner (so they are on the same circuit), and while the sound is obviously worse, I still heard the hum.

Any ideas are most welcome. The fact that the hum stops a few seconds after pausing the music is really interesting and am hoping is a tell tale sign of something obvious to someone here...

Thanks!
Anil
Alrainbow is probably the go to guy for Lampizator noise. Other posts have stated that network gear in proximity of the dac can cause noises. I haven’t experienced this personally and have no network gear around the dac. Definitely not normal, but probably easily remedied.

Reactions: Alrainbow and Golum

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Thanks Tuckia, I'm pretty sure this is a configuration/set up/proximity kind of a thing and nothing wrong with the DAC itself and am hoping Alrainbow will chime in :) The other thing I should have mentioned is that currently I'm connecting an ethernet cable from an Orbi satellite that's a few feet away.

Anil

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Wonderful system Anil.Nice DAC and nice amp ( I like Viva Audio as well ) .
I would suggest to try the followings: 1) try to put the Orbi satellite meters away using a longer Ethernet cable and see if there is any improvement.
2) use the USB input and removing entirely the Ethernet cable from the PAC Ethernet input
3 ) change the rca or xlr cables from the pac to the viva audio amp
4 ) if you have any other IC cables connected to the inputs of your PAC I would unplug them as well.
5) would you have some spare tubes to put in your PAC ?
Alex

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Thanks Steve, I will definitely try the tube dampers. They seem to be an inexpensive thing to try out and seem to be recommended in any case. BTW, my DAC has the RK edition KR-242s, which I believe are supposed to be a little more resistant to ringing.

Alex, I also tried all the options except (5) above, but the hum still seems to be there, though it was a little different with the USB input. Same pattern: low level hum during playback that stops a few seconds after pausing.

Of course, to be clear, the DAC sounds amazing otherwise, especially when listening to complex music, where this is obviously not audible at all (and where the Pacific really shines). I will continue to enjoy this amazing DAC while I try to puzzle this one out.

Anil

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I haven't heard of damping rings used to stop hum. Damping rings are normally for controlling microphonics, aren't they? There are a lot of differing and even mixed opinions about their effects, depending on the application and system. Some find they deaden the sound. Mick Maloney of Supratek even argues that microphonics are not such a bad thing (up to a point presumably). I've still got Herbie's on my three TRP's tubes, but they stay there more on GP and laziness, not that I've made a serious comparison. With good tubes on my preamp, I haven't heard the need.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I haven't heard of damping rings used to stop hum'
you're right. Dumb comment on my part

I ordered my Pacific without an Ethernet input for several reasons.....I was only going to connect USB and had no need for an ethernet port and finally I heard the Ethernet port could be a cause of noise in the system.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I'm purly guessing here but it sounds like it's noise from the digital board. It ships on pause as it mutes the digital board to stop any popping as music starts. I'm fairly confident it's noise from you room
a few simple things to take note of.
Shut off all lights any kind of lights except for incandescent if on a sw. And use if dimmers
Fan controls and so on must be off for the testing.
Next routers , tablets
Cell phones
All Must be out if the room for testing only
Lastly don't stack any transformers above or below the dac can cause noises but this noise would 60 cycles so not in tweeter or mids but could be low end mids
Take the dac off your rack place on the floor.
Also try to take a copper foil or even alum foil
While on the floor place foil on top left side
And left side aloan.
Try these in order and post back I'm confident I can help if you play nice and honest with me. mostly this is a dimmer , LED bulbs or wireless router
15 feet away I had noise only when I shut down power to my room and only had dac Pre and amp did I realise

Reactions: christoph

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
A final thought while a ground loop is most common inviermental EMI and RFI are far more possible in effecting sound. Issue is bad sound is not perceived as noise until it's removed and music is much better

Reactions: christoph

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
I'm purly guessing here but it sounds like it's noise from the digital board. It ships on pause as it mutes the digital board to stop any popping as music starts. I'm fairly confident it's noise from you room
a few simple things to take note of.
Shut off all lights any kind of lights except for incandescent if on a sw. And use if dimmers
Fan controls and so on must be off for the testing.
Next routers , tablets
Cell phones
All Must be out if the room for testing only
Lastly don't stack any transformers above or below the dac can cause noises but this noise would 60 cycles so not in tweeter or mids but could be low end mids
Take the dac off your rack place on the floor.
Also try to take a copper foil or even alum foil
While on the floor place foil on top left side
And left side aloan.
Try these in order and post back I'm confident I can help if you play nice and honest with me. mostly this is a dimmer , LED bulbs or wireless router
15 feet away I had noise only when I shut down power to my room and only had dac Pre and amp did I realise
Thanks a lot for these suggestions! I’m going to try them and report back. They all seem easy enough to do. BTW, the DAC is currently on the floor between the two mono blocks.

Anil

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Not the answer shield is a test . Lampi dacs are shielded but enough RFI can hurt any setup .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing