Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
...athough Axpona 2018 was my first exposure to the PAC. I thought the room sounded pretty good compared to the others I stopped at. Wasn’t quite sure why, as in what each component contributed. Having now acquired the PAC and the Daedalus speakers from that room I now know why I heard what I did. From what I can recall from back then, it is better at home. I spend way too much time in motel rooms, but my system doesn’t.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
For me the answer is simple...it is the tube sound these DACs have and the magic that they convey seems far more realistic for my ears than a SS DAC but I am biased as my entire system is tubes. For me this was a welcome discovery as was the abilities I now have to adjust the tube sound by using the gain control on my Pacific after I have tuned my Lamm preamp to my desired listening volume
Steve

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I don’t have analog – way to fussy.

Some good take aways about the sound and advice. This is nice to know that this machine is not about that super warm, mushy, rolled off tube sound that some people adore.

“Lampi is not used for a beautiful valve sound only”

“lampizator is the tubes allow to better tune to your liking”

“Once you hear it you will know if its for you”

“Super resolved and clean. Impressive micro and macro dynamics. If Someone is looking for Tube euphony it’s not here”

“Lampi Tube maintenance is a non issue. Buy a good set, drop them in, maybe change them 10 years from now”

“sell what you need to, buy a PAC. The rest will follow.”

“don't try to evaluate at a hifi show”
Try tape open up a new sound direction to work at. analog is to me what digital needs to sound like. Now I mean good analog not a twinkle sounding one.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Good question indeed, but these questions are as old as the hills and still don't have clear answers. It's easy to say that all electrical devices do is amplify or transduct a signal and the most relevant parameters that determine how well they do that are power bandwidth, distortion and S/N. Those we can measure. So the obvious conclusion, at least for me, is that we just don't have a good handle on what the other physical attributes are that are yet to be defined and/or measured, which are a satisfactory surrogate for sound quality. This why most of us can probably agree that in the end, the final arbiter for what we like is listening, and not measurements. Nothing new here. This has been beat to death many times over.

Most forum topics have been beat to death. But yeah, the technical thang is a bore but it is still curious.

The real point was the misuse of triodes and the consequences of such misuse.

Another point is which of the 53 million circuit variations Lucasz has tried are you actually listening to? What you experience will be very dependent on which variant he felt cool at the time.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
With all due respect Ked you don't know anything about my reactions and the 242 not working it's magic. I remain in awe about this DAC and yes I still have the RK-KR PX25 tube to try. I like to understand one tube before I try another and so far the 242 has been checking all of my boxes. As to the use of the volume control on the Lampi , I was advised by many users that this is the best way to go. I have stated here several times that I tune the gain on my preamp to suit my taste and then use the gain control on the lampi to further tune to satisfaction. I have done this so many times in the dark and with eyes closed and it seems for my ears I always find the sweet spot on the lampi gain anywhere from -10Db to -16DB with -12Db the most common place I listen.

There's nothing wrong with my preamp Ked and if you remember I have no hum with my Lampi

Steve it is early days yet it will take you months to realise what you really have. Years even. I am still learning and I was a very early adopter.

Enjoy that bad boy.

Over time you will find it utterly perplexing. I know I do.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Most forum topics have been beat to death. But yeah, the technical thang is a bore but it is still curious.

Another point is which of the 53 million circuit variations Lucasz has tried are you actually listening to? What you experience will be very dependent on which variant he felt cool at the time.

Justin your just a treasure trove of misinformation. It just don’t stop and I’ll bet many here are tired of your negative energy comments. do you know what possible varying type of hum at your place now. Did you ever give up on a 30 foot usb cable and multiple spidif converters you use. honestly grow up and stop already. I don’t have time for Constant barrage of bull. You make me feel I must follow you just to Return the favors back at you.
Your dear friend al

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

"misuse of triodes"?
"53 million circuit variations"?

In my experience, participants on the forum are interested in serious inquiry, education and meaningful conversation. Your mischaracterization and hyperbole above is sadly not worthy of a thoughtful reply.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've heard strong rumours, I don't know how true, that many of the smaller scale/hobbyist come good designers, are pretty variable w their final products. My Serbian Nat Audio amps are apparently not identical example to example. Could this not apply to Lampi. Although the claim of "53 million variations" should spur Ron's Hyperbole Police Squad into action to earn some overtime.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Moving up from the GG1 and GG2 to my new Pacific, which is probably still breaking in at about 50 hrs. On the clock, all I can think is holy crap. I’ve never heard anything like this before. This is a step or two beyond the GG2. I’m not thinking about tube distortion. I’d venture a guess that my old Pass XA30.8 had more 2nd order distortion than the PAC. Super resolved and clean. Impressive micro and macro dynamics. If someone is looking for Tube euphony it’s not here, at least in any traditional way. Where the PAC excels beyond the best SS DACs I’ve heard, is in the dynamics both large and small. Very alive and 3D. That phrase means too many things in audio. Really you just have to hear it.

Lampi Tube maintenance is a non issue. Buy a good set, drop them in, maybe change them 10 years from now. Much is made about rolling here, which is a real thing, if you are looking for something to do. It’s not a requirement.

My suggestion is to sell what you need to, buy a PAC. The rest will follow.
Super cool sum up of this 50 pages long thread :).
Bolded words are also a key to the story. You roll if you want and if you're bored. Guess same is with TT owners with many cartridges and two/three arms on one TT. Different cart different trip you have. I don't own a TT (actually I do - and a nice one) but tube rolling is just fun and kills the other crazy ideas in this hobby (usually more expensive ones) - guess thats why i have already like 10 plus pairs of output tubes. Do i use them - almost no - 242 sits in and that is it...rest as i said - when itching starts to be painful serve the purpose.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Super cool sum up of this 50 pages long thread :).
Bolded words are also a key to the story. You roll if you want and if you're bored. Guess same is with TT owners with many cartridges and two/three arms on one TT. Different cart different trip you have. I don't own a TT (actually I do - and a nice one) but tube rolling is just fun and kills the other crazy ideas in this hobby (usually more expensive ones) - guess thats why i have already like 10 plus pairs of output tubes. Do i use them - almost no - 242 sits in and that is it...rest as i said - when itching starts to be painful serve the purpose.
Right up to a new rumor starts Then a new party begins

Reactions: Golum

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've heard strong rumours, I don't know how true, that many of the smaller scale/hobbyist come good designers, are pretty variable w their final products. My Serbian Nat Audio amps are apparently not identical example to example. Could this not apply to Lampi. Although the claim of "53 million variations" should spur Ron's Hyperbole Police Squad into action to earn some overtime.

The thing is it doesn't matter. If you know what you want in a Lampi sound, Lukasz gives it to you. It is not that we knew we wanted it got 242 or so before. We realized it later and had it changed.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Another way to say "misuse of triodes" is "using triodes in an innovative way".

I honestly have not looked at the Lampi design in any detail to know if he is using a classic tube circuit or something innovative. As long as it is safe, sounds good and is reliable then more power to him.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
"53 million circuit variations"?

In my experience, participants on the forum are interested in serious inquiry, education and meaningful conversation. Your mischaracterization and hyperbole above is sadly not worthy of a thoughtful reply.
Actually in this case, 53 million circuit iterations from a restless soul and restless mind as Lukasz (Yoda) Fikus has, is a good thing. As the best circuit design which is perfectly reiterated in series production, out of this 53 million tried and listened iterations, is playing in our DACs and this makes them special - utterly special ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Engine 53

Reactions: Alrainbow and Golum

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
There is a new recti I town now. One I don’t own but I have some they don’t lol. Acme is the name goran can post

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Which rectifier do you use with them?
Huh - tricky one...currently itching is low so ACME 274b as I do find it fantastic
Otherwise RK 5u4g and at hand 596, 1641, several potato mashers, will soon have U52, and many more...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing