Pairing Sumiko to Yamaha C-85 Preamp

Robes

Aug 21, 2017
Bigfork, Montana
Hello-
I have a Yamaha C-85 Pre-amp. I have a (NOS) Sumiko Blackbird MC cartridge; Freq. Response: 10Hz - 50kHz, High Output 2.5mV ( 3.54 cm/sec., (1 kHz) ), Internal Impedance: 135 Ohms, Load Impedance: 47k Ohms.

The Yamaha offers 2 selections for MC cartridges: 1k Ohm and 100 Ohms. Also offers 3 MM selections: 47k Ohm 220 pF, 47k Ohm 330 pF, and 100 Ohms.
Question; what pre-amp selection do I select for the Sumiko?

HISTORY
I bought the Sumiko ~5 years ago. I played no more than 5 LPs then my preamp died. It took a year to get it totally rebuilt and as of yesterday played 1 LP, which sounded great all around and I selected the MC 1k Ohm option as I did long ago for it’s 1st run.
I asked this same question on the Audiogon Forums, here is the 1st and only reply I received: “I owned this excellent cartridge in the past and even though it is a Moving Coil Cartridge with it’s 2.5mV output it performed best through my Moving Magnet input of 38db gain and 47k ohms loading. You could overload the MC section of a preamp with the Blackbird. Many of the high output moving coils were designed to allow use of the Moving Magnet input.”

I’m hoping to find others to substantiate my Audiogon reply or offer their best selection. What to do??
TIA, Robes

P.S.
Also, on rear of Pre-amp, next to phono jacks, is a red button selector. Manual describes red button as follows: Use this switch to refine volume control with "high output level cartridges". Press button in to lower signal from cart by 10 dB, press again to release button & return signal to normal. I have it set to normal. It has always been set to normal. Normal correct setting for this Sumiko?

Normally high output cartridges like the one you have work well on MM input at 47K ohms. That’s the one you should try but you can use MC 1K ohms input if cartridge’s gain does not overload the phono stage. Alternatively you can use the red button but I don’t recommend it.

Normally high output cartridges like the one you have work well on MM input at 47K ohms. That’s the one you should try but you can use MC 1K ohms input if cartridge’s gain does not overload the phono stage. Alternatively you can use the red button but I don’t recommend it.
Thanks for the advise, I didn't know I could use the MM selections-

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing