Pass Lab owners - Check in!

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
If your sound preference is more leaning towards Tube warmth then I think the addition of a Tube Pre-Amp with the XA60.8's would make for a very nice combo. You would likely end up with the best of both worlds between the XA30.5 and the XA60.8's where you get more power, better bass control and still have a tube like experience at the same time.
Thank you for your input cjf.
I use the Chord DAVE DACs, which is very transparent and fast, so think a Lampizator tube preamp will be a nice fit. Chain would thus be: Paul Pang Quad Switch > 432 EVO server > Chord DAVE > Lampizator Reference Preamplifier > Passlab XA60.8 monoblocks > Zingali Client Name Evo horn speakers + JL Audio E110 subs x 2. The subs cross over at 55hz and make a BIG difference on my music taste.

My speakers are modded with DIY crossovers and upgraded compression drivers. They have a 12 inch bass driver, and are 95dB, though they do seem to like a lot of current, not so good on smaller output tube amps.

My Headphones system, I use the LCD4 out the DAVE (sounds incredible) and the Abyss TC off a power amp (sounds even more incredible).
I may look at selling my Moon 600i speaker amp used as headphone amp and get the Passlabs XA25 stereo power amp, drive the Abyss off it's speaker taps. The Abyss off the Moon 600i is amazing, way better than any headphone amp I have tried to date.

So will report back when all is arrived and set up!

Reactions: cjf

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Just picked up a mint XP-20 this morning.

Last edited:

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
How you liking it ?
I'm loving it so far. Sounds worlds better than the little Quad Artera pre that it replaced, and that was a great sounding preamp as well.

I am curious though, and this is for anyone to answer...

When you turn the volume down to "20", there's a relay that clicks. Then when you go back above "20", you hear that relay click again. I'm just wondering what the XP-20 is doing when it hits "20" on the volume. I can't seem to find any into via Google searches.

Is it switching from active gain mode to passive gain mode?

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Charles, all I know is that the XP-20 volume control is described as being a two stage volume control. I've had my XP-20 for about a dozen years now and have had zero problems. Same goes for the XA100.5 monoblocs.

hesavary

Nov 9, 2021
Int 250 here, working together with Sascha DAW, nice team work between the two.
It is a recent upgrade, was before with Yvette's and E800 from Accuphase. I didn't like the association between the two. Believe that accuphase is more comfortable with better efficiency speakers.

Reactions: Protegimus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing