Perfect CD Resurfacing. Is it possible?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Over the years, I have amassed a large collection of CDs SACDs DVD-As etc. Some of them have seen better days and few are perfect surface wise. Is there a method to resurface some of the worst ones, some of which are irreplaceable?

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I've had good success with a product I bought a number of years ago, called "CD Doctor". The box says Orbyx Electronics Nexxtech, Concord, ON, L4K 4M3, Product of Canada. I found some of the words online, may be worth following up. The kit contains paper cleaning cloths and a paste that goes beyond the spray type cleaners I use for less damaged discs and does actually repair some scratches. I don't know if this is the same product:
https://www.shopoakville.com/CdDoctor/?

The best way I've found to preserve my CD's is to rip them using Exact Audio Copy. I have a couple of heavily damaged discs that skip badly in a CD transport or CD ROM tray, which ripping was able to restore. It took several hours for the program to rip my copy of Pearl Jam Ten, but it plays perfectly as a file in my NAS. I assume I could burn it onto a blank disc, but I've not bothered because my CD's have been copied to my NAS as zero compression FLAC files.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Highly recommend the Mapleshade "Mikrosmooth" product. After that, I treat each disc using "L'art du Son" and then demagnetize. I've done this with all my new CD's for numerous years. Only down side is that you may see some small "swirls" on the disc surface post Mapleshade. And it should repair your surface CD imperfection problems to a playable condition. To my ears, it really makes a difference for the better.

Eyesup

Jul 30, 2016
UK
I was surprised how a highly polished (Glass like finish) CD sounds, this includes polishing brand new CD’s. I did reach out to a couple of WBF members to clarify and test on their system’s. One member kindly tested.

I have tried CD improvements de-ionising and de magnetising but nothing compared to this on my system.

If your looking just remove scratches yourself I think there are a number of devices/methods on the market although may leave swirl patterns when viewed under a focused light source.

If a marked CD plays I think the error correction system is kicking in, possibly even for a fingerprint or residue.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing