Perhaps, you know you've been an "audiophile" for too long ...

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
when ... like I've recently done ... you demo a digital component and equate it's tonal characteristics to a cartridge.

tb1

when...you go to a live performance and comment that the bass is not accurate enough...

Tom

when...you go to a live performance and comment that the bass is not accurate enough...

Tom

Unfortunately most "live" music is amplified music and NOT really live at all. Club music is NOT live. Heck, what you hear at the Metropolitan Opera [or other opera houses] is amplified. Most "live" music is just performed in your presence but you DON'T hear their instruments or voices live, unamplified in a real space and probably hear them a lot WORSE at a performance than at home through your stereo from a good studio recording.

The Philharmonic IS "live" and not amplified. That is what you need to use as a reference.

Hehehe....Gary, I know this. I have actually been to a live and unamplified street band to where a fellow audiophile commented to me, "The bass isn't accurate enough". He was actually comparing the live musical event with his system when, in fact, it should be the other way around. I was honestly speechless. Most of the amplified venues I have been at, I could see where he would be coming from but from live and unamplified music?

I just shut my mouth, smiled and enjoyed the music.

Tom

You know you're an "audiophile" when you're using snide remarks to put down perfectly good components that you have upgraded beyond.

..when you state with conviction that "it's all about the music" and your nose lengthens

Unfortunately most "live" music is amplified music and NOT really live at all. Club music is NOT live. Heck, what you hear at the Metropolitan Opera [or other opera houses] is amplified. Most "live" music is just performed in your presence but you DON'T hear their instruments or voices live, unamplified in a real space and probably hear them a lot WORSE at a performance than at home through your stereo from a good studio recording.

The Philharmonic IS "live" and not amplified. That is what you need to use as a reference.

So are the South American pan pipe groups in the subway! Well, there's a little echo added :)

.....when after spending thousands of dollars on an upgrade and after hearing just one more previously undetected note, instantly justifies the price of admission.....

So are the South American pan pipe groups in the subway! Well, there's a little echo added :)

I agree, as they are outside the Marriott Marquis on 45th St. but only when they aren't using their battery powered amps on the street.

Tom

I confess, (sigh) I've done that ... relatively recently in fact ... at a festival ... most of the bass I heard was the raised stage resonating ...

tb1

When you actually believe the marketing hype of some manufacturer, purchase their product, get it home, put it in your system and the first word out of your mouth is: "whoops"

IMHO this means you have been an audiophile for too little ;)

when, in all honesty, you only listen to the same 12 records all the time.

when, in all honesty, you only listen to the same 12 records all the time.

And at least four are by Diana Krall.

... If you have jumped from SS amplification to tube based (back an forth) for more than three times.

Your records are organized by label and pressing, rather than by composer or performance.
You have all of the records on HP's list.
You know what HP's list is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing