Phono cable recommendations?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Interesting. I always associated cable burn-in to the dielectric, not to the metal conductors - the only scientific evidence of cable burn-in I have ever found was related to noise in Teflon cables. Do you have any explanation for why high voltages transform the copper?

Agreed on dielectric making a difference on burn-in, but I think there is more to it and the metal changes in some way due to current flow. I wish I could explain it, but it's very clear to hear on the cables I mentioned, Audience uses UPOCC copper from what I know and if you compare a basic UPOCC copper cable to audience the audience has less warmth and better clarity, sort of halfway to silver. But it sounds a little off and maybe dull vs UPOCC silver, it's not as good imo. Jorma is better, the result is smoother and sounds more "right". These could pair well with a system that needs warmth, but it does still sacrifice some resolution vs my D4 and DSR silver based cables. It's maybe more resolving vs my D5 but my D5 has better tone I think.

In any case the audible results are night and day, I think it would be possible to zap a basic $50 UPOCC copper cable and come out with something a lot better than it has any right to be for the price. Jorma is big-$ for a copper cable but they are really good and can compete with the best IMO. I certainly can't make a copper cable near as good, but I do look forward to experimenting with a Tesla coil once I have more time. It's on the back burner for now, I gotta get this speaker done...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have been trying to contact Alan at Audio Excellence but he doesn’t pick up his phone or answer emails.

Reactions: dan31

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Recently got the Anniversary model. I would like to be able to "cook" my (4 pin XLR) Modwright umbilical cables but Alan Kafton didn't have connectors to adapt 3 pin to 4 pin XLR's. Has anyone seen or used such an adapter? The Modwright umbilicals use both male and female 4 pin XLR's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing