Pilium Audio in action-

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I'm super GREEN that you can go up to such crazy SPLs, :)
your room is amazing and dedicated and can take that dynamic pressure,
and as much as I love the dynamics of a healthy rock show,
I personally, don't listen at loud volumes, apparently I'm used to it, and my room can't take such extreme pressures,

In my case, of course, it is a completely different system, and moreover, the room,
When and of course it depends on the recording and the genre,
The display in my pre-amp in various recordings shows the ratio in the digits between 9 to 15
When of course it changes depending on what I hear and my mood at the time, so usually when I listen in "Critical Listening" at varying peaks that range from 70db to 85db. At the same given volume, the dynamics fills the entire room and changes in "mobility" depending on the recording.

Reactions: sonrock

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Wonderful new Pilium Alexander and Achilles set up installed yesterday by Rhapsody.Audio - Brooklyn driving the customer's Alsyvox Tintorettos.

View attachment 112478
View attachment 112479
A good friend here in Greenville SC has Botticelli/X with the Alexander 2box preamp and the Iasonas stereo amp. I was just over there again 2 days ago and was reminded again how fantastic Pilium is and the synergy with Alsyvoxx is undeniable.

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I’ve got your point as it’s easier for you to compare the whole set of karan to pilium while I only had the monoblocks but a different pre which I think is just stellar.

Konstantinos told me not to go above 28 with the Olympus although the max volume is set at 33. So I never dared to go above 22 as it’ll be too loud for me.

But today I was crazy enough to go up to 25 and it was insane. I felt like I was in the middle of the concert with the bass punching through me.

I went to many rock shows before when I was younger and used to stand in the front if possible. So I knew exactly how those massive speakers can shake my whole body. Today I got that one more time, just unbelievable although my ears hurt a bit haha
I’m only on 14 lol

Reactions: itay123 and sonrock

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I'm super GREEN that you can go up to such crazy SPLs, :)
your room is amazing and dedicated and can take that dynamic pressure,
and as much as I love the dynamics of a healthy rock show,
I personally, don't listen at loud volumes, apparently I'm used to it, and my room can't take such extreme pressures,

In my case, of course, it is a completely different system, and moreover, the room,
When and of course it depends on the recording and the genre,
The display in my pre-amp in various recordings shows the ratio in the digits between 9 to 15
When of course it changes depending on what I hear and my mood at the time, so usually when I listen in "Critical Listening" at varying peaks that range from 70db to 85db. At the same given volume, the dynamics fills the entire room and changes in "mobility" depending on the recording.

Itay,

Did you have a chance to introduce your room to Active acoustical treatment?
Yesterday I had the pleasure of experiencing an audio system with and without 2 x active-bass-trap, this was a reviling moment.

When the active bass traps work you can pressurize the room to abnormal levels, and yet the sound was crystal clear without any bass or ringing issues.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Itay,

Did you have a chance to introduce your room to Active acoustical treatment?
Yesterday I had the pleasure of experiencing an audio system with and without 2 x active-bass-trap, this was a reviling moment.

When the active bass traps work you can pressurize the room to abnormal levels, and yet the sound was crystal clear without any bass or ringing issues.

exupgh12

1. You can read below in the "signature Detailed Equipment list", about the acoustic method that I have/useing.
2. I have NO problem (potential) boosting as much as I want to stronger dynamic SPL heights, I don't feel such a need or desire.
3. as for The volume Gain in the PILIUM Pre-amp that mentioned before,
when sonrock says he saw display of the digit 28 on his Pilium Pre, I guess he heard over 100db SPL!
with His room and especially his environment allows him to go to such crazy SPLs like that,
I can't afford it, and I have no reason to do so. "I'm super GREEN" for the ability to have such a quality room as he uses.

Last edited:

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I’m only on 14 lol

Always at volume 14?
NO matter what record or genre you're listening to?
and especially the mood you're in?:)

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
It seems only Hyperion who has got everything listed on his website, otherwise I am struggling to find them online too, especially for other countries but not Sweden

Reactions: Hyperion

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
After a long time using digital as my only source, I might be crazy enough to go into analog now and buying my first ever TT then cart and phono to follow shortly.

The only problem is I have never set up an analog system before and what I have read about that and the maintenance of the tt and cart scared me a little bit. Especially about not getting the best sound from the system while damaging the cartridge.

on the other hand, Konstantinos has not made any phono stage so far and the Olympus pre doesn’t have phono built in, so it’s really tricky for me to find a best possible one which can work well with the pilium electronics.

I was told that most sigma speakers owners love vinyls and the Vyger came out on top. I understand that Kedar and many here love their tt, but is that an overkill for a beginner like myself?

howerver, if I go down that analog route then I don’t think I’ll change the Vyger for anything for quite a long time, as it’ll take sufficient time for me to discover and then optimise my analog system to perform at its best.

any advice or recommendations for me please Sirs?

Reactions: bonzo75 and mxk116

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
howerver, if I go down that analog route then I don’t think I’ll change the Vyger for anything for quite a long time, as it’ll take sufficient time for me to discover and then optimise my analog system to perform at its best.

with Bjorn as the co-partner in the UK, you should have no worries.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022

I was told that most sigma speakers owners love vinyls and the Vyger came out on top. I understand that Kedar and many here love their tt, but is that an overkill for a beginner like myself?

Sonrock, from my audio perspective I think you are past the beginning. I am unaware if Sigma Acoustics speakers are available in the US. It would be lovely to hear them in person.

Enjoy adding analog to your system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sonrock, from my audio perspective I think you are past the beginning. I am unaware if Sigma Acoustics speakers are available in the US. It would be lovely to hear them in person.
Fly to Rome and then 3 hours drive from there is Pescara. Tell your wife you are going to an Italian coast near Rome

Reactions: sonrock and mxk116

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
I can’t travel anytime soon until next year. I think I am in no rush to force myself buying anything at the moment although I have the itch to change my digital and bringing a tt home.

While researching about TTs, I bumped into an old article about Walker, it’s just crazy to read through the experience the reviewer had with it and decided to buy it in the end as his final player.

Some audiophile friends I know who have been using TTs for a long time usually used a Thorens Reference or Prestige model, and now using Kronos latest and top spinner.

like pretty much everything in this audio world, it’s hugely subjective and personal for an addictive hobby. I wish I could listen to 10+ top analog systems before making decisions. The Vyger seems too good to miss and too much to learn about…

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
After a long time using digital as my only source, I might be crazy enough to go into analog now and buying my first ever TT then cart and phono to follow shortly.

The only problem is I have never set up an analog system before and what I have read about that and the maintenance of the tt and cart scared me a little bit. Especially about not getting the best sound from the system while damaging the cartridge.

on the other hand, Konstantinos has not made any phono stage so far and the Olympus pre doesn’t have phono built in, so it’s really tricky for me to find a best possible one which can work well with the pilium electronics.

No need to go in at the very high end, you'll miss out on all the upgrade fun! Even a modest all in one sub $5000 turntable package will blow you away. These guys seem to have good options:

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated and I totally understand the fun gained from that upgrade journey.

I’ve not researched anything about phonostage yet, so any recommendations for me please? The best possible one :)

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
@sonrock

With Phono stages purchase only fully discrete models no IC’s , start with a MM cart until comfortable with setting up and operating your TT before stepping up to a more expensive cart or worse case allows you to hear and learn the differences between the two ..!

You don't have to spend much as said before to better most Digital or enjoy analog LP ..

Regards

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated and I totally understand the fun gained from that upgrade journey.

I’ve not researched anything about phonostage yet, so any recommendations for me please? The best possible one :)

there are many good phonos. In terms of good value valve phono that goes a long way and retains good used market value, I always recommend Allnic 7000. There are others but this should be sufficient before getting to the best of your preference after a few years.

You can also listen to SS phonos like Burmester, FM and a complete CH system to see your preference

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Thanks Kedar, interestingly I was looking at the FM phono a few days ago and not sure how it’d sound in my system.

I was not totally convinced when listening to the full FM system at Munich last year despite various types of music were played when I spent 30-45 minutes there. But as always, can’t judge a system much based on show conditions.

Maybe after talking to you then I can project about my initial path in this analog journey. I’ve been with digital since 2001 but never really got into the analog world. Scary!

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Kedar, interestingly I was looking at the FM phono a few days ago and not sure how it’d sound in my system.

I was not totally convinced when listening to the full FM system at Munich last year despite various types of music were played when I spent 30-45 minutes there. But as always, can’t judge a system much based on show conditions.

Maybe after talking to you then I can project about my initial path in this analog journey. I’ve been with digital since 2001 but never really got into the analog world. Scary!

Vertere in London is the FM distro, but FM123 phono is available used easily. Very different sound to Burmester or CH. Or to valve phonos of course. You can get the Allnic and audition the others, if you find one you like the Allnic can easily be sold back

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing