Pilium Audio in action-

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Wonderful new Pilium Alexander and Achilles set up installed yesterday by Rhapsody.Audio - Brooklyn driving the customer's Alsyvox Tintorettos.

IMG_0422.jpeg
IMG_0424.jpeg

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Last edited:
Reactions: itay123 and Notdead

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Great specs but I can't believe the amp weights 370lbs....

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Great specs but I can't believe the amp weights 370lbs....
Zeus (stereo version of Atlas) is even heavier at 174kg vs 168kg for each Atlas.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Finally the new acoustic curtains have arrived.
Installed yesterday in my Living room.

The curtains are a kind of greyish arctic white (very similar to the color finish of Pilium)

the result so far:

My living Room is completely quiet.

a sense of
more black background,
more air,
more three dimensional,
more subtle,
Clearer and sharper focus.

?????.jpg

Last edited:

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Is there any additional info to your drapes ? As to Material , etc ..

Regards
Hi

On the "Setup wall" side, 6 m long,
The curtains are a kind of blackout curtains with 100% opacity x 2 layers of fabric and a kind of absorbent pad in the middle.
A custom made by demand.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi

On the "Setup wall" side, 6 m long,
The curtains are a kind of blackout curtains with 100% opacity x 2 layers of fabric and a kind of absorbent pad in the middle.
A custom made by demand.
Does the manufacturer of the curtains have measurements of the damping over frequency?

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Does the manufacturer of the curtains have measurements of the damping over frequency?
Hi
No, unfortunately there is no actual measurement,
these curtains were made by a fabric company that provides, among other things, absorption requirements,
I requested that they combine everything together as one curtain, (from experience with a previous curtain that was actually replaced),

I am very satisfied with the touch that is made in my living Room visually and sonically, as well.

the beauty of the curtains that I can Place them where I want on the curtains "rail"
and understand the effect.

in contrast to routine and familiar acoustic accessories that are static.

Last edited:

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Hi
No, unfortunately there is no actual measurement,
these curtains were made by a fabric company that provides, among other things, absorption requirements,
I requested that they combine everything together as one curtain, (from experience with a previous curtain that was actually replaced),

I am very satisfied with the touch that is made in my living Room visually and sonically, as well.

the beauty of the curtains that I can Place them where I want on the curtains "rail"
and understand the effect.

in contrast to routine and familiar acoustic accessories that are static.
Gerriets ?

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Hi
I think the principle is very similar, the Local company from which I ordered and requested,
is a company that plans and adapts fabrics and curtains for hotels, theater halls, auditoriums, offices.
by the way not for private individuals, or specific jobs.

thank you for the link.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
A light taste and a modest video from

Felix Mendelssohn: Piano Trios No. 1 in Minor​

Enjoy :)

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
some recent pic taken.
358566171_6203226639762310_2442910765557364079_n.jpg
358091985_6203581443060163_1253777870522304868_n.jpg

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
A sunny Saturday afternoon with wonderful music, after a crazy time when many things went wrong, is absolutely a treat for myself.

I listen to various types of music including classical and neoclassical, but really selective in what I like. I hope you like this piece too, especially the intro as it’s too good.

For a couple of months living with my current system, it’s just a wonderful journey to re explore my CD collection.

Interestingly, everything comes really natural as the way they should be. I don’t need to try locate the artists as the soundstage is just spotted on and their positions are pinpointed correctly.

For most songs and pieces, I can feel the real weight and presence of the artists and their instruments.

In terms of bass, I see the Pilium having the same power and slam like the Karan. But I feel like a piece of rubber is attached to the end of the Pilium hammer to make it a bit more rounded, “kick”, and less “metal” compared to the Karan if that makes sense to you.

The system retains the sweetness very well compared to the Karan/Koda combo and refines a little bit more.

Tbh, the Karan/Koda combo is incredible value for money and extremely hard to beat. But I felt that I needed something very ultimate in terms of amps so the itches pushed me to the Pilium universe, so it’s a bold move after coming back from Munich and only listened to the Achiles/Alexander combo driving Magico A5.

I’m really curious to see how the Atlas/Olympus compared to Gryphon Apex combo, should be incredible.

IMG_7818.jpeg

Last edited:

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
When I switched from a KARAN pre-power,
The differences were clear to me when I compared Karan's set with Pilium Leonidas (integrated).

On the same "Test Tunes", and under the same conditions, Pilium gave a more natural presence of the instruments, detail, clearer separation and resolution and significantly higher transparency.
A quieter silence, a more tangible appeal of the background, and clearer layers.
without losing naturalness for a moment in the entire frequency scale and at any volume Gain.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonrock

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
I’ve never tried the karan pre before so can’t comment on that, but having owned quite a number of high quality tube pres and then the koda, it just ticked all the boxes for me.

Even when Aldo was here, so Dave etc. Everyone was just utterly impressed by how the Karan/Koda combo did with the Maat speakers. But the full Pilium set didn’t disappoint me.

Actually it’s really hard to compare because it’s not like-to-like when you change one component at a time here. So everything is just relative especially when I used the previous combo for 10 years plus.

When my friend came over here 2 weeks ago to listen to my current system, he was totally blown away; even when I played standard Spotify songs via my Yamaha RX-A8A, streamed directly from either my phone or laptop, connected to the Pilium, before switching completely to CDs with the Esoteric.

He’s been using the full karan system, kam 2000 and pre, driving his beloved magico mini 2 speakers. But I think he’ll get a completely new system soon when his extension built and keep his current one in his bedroom.

This journey is crazy, especially after you hear something that you really like and touch your heart and soul. From that point you realise that there is no way back!

I’m waiting for my new White Gold cables to be sent here to try, a full set of XLR cables for transport-dac-pre-monoblocks. Should be very interesting and I will let you know how they sound. My system is so revealing now and I can’t be happier.

I might have the msb select dac sent here to try too, but my understanding is the reference dac will arrive first. We will see.

Last edited:

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I think,
Karan's weak point is the pre-amp, (relatively speaking of course)
I had the
KAL Reference MK3 Preamplifier - 2 Chassis

I was very happy and moved by the Karan's set.

But as we know,

The greatest enemy of the "good",
He is actually better.
How much better is up to interpretation.

Reactions: sonrock

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
I’ve got your point as it’s easier for you to compare the whole set of karan to pilium while I only had the monoblocks but a different pre which I think is just stellar.

Konstantinos told me not to go above 28 with the Olympus although the max volume is set at 33. So I never dared to go above 22 as it’ll be too loud for me.

But today I was crazy enough to go up to 25 and it was insane. I felt like I was in the middle of the concert with the bass punching through me.

I went to many rock shows before when I was younger and used to stand in the front if possible. So I knew exactly how those massive speakers can shake my whole body. Today I got that one more time, just unbelievable although my ears hurt a bit haha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing