Planet of the Humans / Documentary / Jeff Gibbs (Director)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The beginning is fun, with a question on how long the human race still has on Earth.
People have fun answers.

The end is quite dramatic, very.

Everything else between is like a montage, with interviews, etc.
It's not complete; for that we would need several episodes and seasons.
It is what it is...in 100 minutes.

What is interesting is the relation between habitats and animal species; when we remove them from their natural habitats, or destroy their habitats and freedom; we are playing with our own death, human extinction. ...Like a pandemic for example. Perhaps not this one but the next one?
But it is not alluded in the doc; we (I) make that relation on our (my) own.

Forget climate change and renewable green energies; there is only one renewable green energy...$100 green bills printing.

If I would rate this doc from 1 to 10 I would probably give it a 7.5
That's me, I'm a generous and realistic guy.

Take your time; there's an infinite time to watch it, minus what has already passed ...
For members here it roughly means between few weeks and say 50 years.
Who knows what the future has in store for some of us...nobody knows.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Unfortunately, this subject matter has been hijacked by politicians so it's now on the don't touch list.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's taboo documentary ... the environment.
It exposes some truths and omits others.
Some reviews are more interesting than the doc itself.
And without the doc there wouldn't be any fun reviews to read.
...And nothing to say about what it misses.

* Did you watch it?

Reactions: adamaley

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
It was the sickest, saddest and most depressing documentary I have ever seen. I does not give me any hope for the future of this planet and the human race. I should have never watched it.

I would like to hear about what it misses...

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Bob, with all due respect, this is as a political a topic as there is, definitely NOT audiophile related, and only opens the door for contentious ideological bickering. I’m sure there is a facebook argument running on this somewhere, and a million tweets will be posted. (So plenty of places this argument can happen — and just like if were to happen here, no minds would be changed only moral self-righteousness expressed by either side.)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It would be nice if we could discuss these things, but people get upset. I don't understand it, but it seems to be fact. The incapability of folks to share ideas without getting the ego involved is the real problem, and if people get upset, then it's "political". Seems to me like we're just stupid apes after all.

Unlike most would expect, the documentary is an indictment of "green" energy for the most part, and there's A LOT of truth there. If anything it's biased against solar, wind and e-car technology, imo. They should have presented the actual numbers as far as what we get out of it when we invest in these technologies, but it was more a high level overview.

If I can say so, it basically repeats what I've said WRT e-cars many times on here. In their present form they aren't helping anything. What we need is a change in lifestyle, not a new way to propel a 5000 lb land barge around the country. Same with "green" energy, it doesn't contribute nearly as much as we might think and it doesn't have the capacity to come anywhere close to what we're using. The documentary raises the issue that it's simply a diversion to distract, to give hope that our current system of life can actually be sustainable. This is the real lie, it can't...

I have actually worked as an engineer in the wind turbine industry, I do believe it has a place, but it's also problematic in many ways and certainly can't be used in the mass scale required, so again, we need to simply use less right now, until we figure out nuclear fusion. ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It was the sickest, saddest and most depressing documentary I have ever seen. I does not give me any hope for the future of this planet and the human race. I should have never watched it.

I would like to hear about what it misses...

It misses nuclear energy.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, with all due respect, this is as a political a topic as there is, definitely NOT audiophile related, and only opens the door for contentious ideological bickering. I’m sure there is a facebook argument running on this somewhere, and a million tweets will be posted. (So plenty of places this argument can happen — and just like if were to happen here, no minds would be changed only moral self-righteousness expressed by either side.)

If you want an audiophile documentary give me a sec, I think I have exactly what you want, Bob.

You don't have to watch or discuss things you don't like, you can pass and go next to the things you like...wines and music and only the films and docs that you like. It's so simple.
Just pass it man, it's not your cup of tea we get it. Don't hammer the messenger, don't watch the doc, or if you do feel free to give your opinion on the doc, and not the poster...me.
For the love of Jesus Mary Joseph ...

Be safe

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It would be nice if we could discuss these things, but people get upset. I don't understand it, but it seems to be fact. The incapability of folks to share ideas without getting the ego involved is the real problem, and if people get upset, then it's "political". Seems to me like we're just stupid apes after all.

Unlike most would expect, the documentary is an indictment of "green" energy for the most part, and there's A LOT of truth there. If anything it's biased against solar, wind and e-car technology, imo. They should have presented the actual numbers as far as what we get out of it when we invest in these technologies, but it was more a high level overview.

If I can say so, it basically repeats what I've said WRT e-cars many times on here. In their present form they aren't helping anything. What we need is a change in lifestyle, not a new way to propel a 5000 lb land barge around the country. Same with "green" energy, it doesn't contribute nearly as much as we might think and it doesn't have the capacity to come anywhere close to what we're using. The documentary raises the issue that it's simply a diversion to distract, to give hope that our current system of life can actually be sustainable. This is the real lie, it can't...

I have actually worked as an engineer in the wind turbine industry, I do believe it has a place, but it's also problematic in many ways and certainly can't be used in the mass scale required, so again, we need to simply use less right now, until we figure out nuclear fusion. ;)

That's an intelligent commentary and which I agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing