Please help with VPI 3d set up

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Can I leave the cart attached using cd method if I demag after?

No you have to detach the cartridge leads. Either use an adaptor aka the Cable Cooker or you can fashion your own. (I used to solder alligator clips that I bought at Radio Shack to either end of a piece of wire.) Then unscrew the RCA barrel on the IC and attach one alligator clip to the + and attach the alligator clip to the cartridge lead. Then do the same thing for -. Then repeat for the other channel. You may just want to make sure wire is supported so it doesn't put any stress on the cartridge leads. You can even use say a break-in CD on the tonearm wire if you desire.

The phono doesn't need to be on.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
No you have to detach the cartridge leads. Either use an adaptor aka the Cable Cooker or you can fashion your own. (I used to solder alligator clips that I bought at Radio Shack to either end of a piece of wire.) Then unscrew the RCA barrel on the IC and attach one alligator clip to the + and attach the alligator clip to the cartridge lead. Then do the same thing for -. Then repeat for the other channel. You may just want to make sure wire is supported so it doesn't put any stress on the cartridge leads. You can even use say a break-in CD on the tonearm wire if you desire.
Why can't you just put the CD player output to the turn table output. Are the any parts in the junction box interfering with retrograde current..

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
yes! no more popping. I isolated it to the chinook, about 5 hours of straight listening with the alephono, not one pop! Still playing with loading, miss the tubes tremendously. This arm is amazing, but so many variable have changed now, set up, arm, phonopre, loading, its hard to accurately compare.

Ask your technician to check the output coupling caps. They may be defective (shorted ) This could create (would allow ) DC to be passed and that could result in very loud popping sounds, and large woofer excursions.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Why can't you just put the CD player output to the turn table output. Are the any parts in the junction box interfering with retrograde current..

Directionality and you have to complete a circuit. You can't use the cartridge as a load.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Ask your technician to check the output coupling caps. They may be defective (shorted ) This could create (would allow ) DC to be passed and that could result in very loud popping sounds, and large woofer excursions.

I now see it isn't a tube line stage you replaced, but a tube phono stage, so I don't think a possible shorted coupling cap in your phono stage would present an issue, as you have described it, unless your line stage also was in some way passing a DC signal ( unlikely ).

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Brian-What if you live where there is no VPI dealer and you buy the product straight from the factory. Do you really think VPI is going to pay someone to fly to your town, rent a car, set up your table, spend the night in a hotel, and pay for meals for a $3k sale?

Silly me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing