Plinth for Garrard 301

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a Shindo plinth, although it's made from multiplex wood. I thought the standard Shindo plinth uses solid wood, but I may be wrong here. Maybe in Japan multiplex cherry wood is available, too. Never heard of that in europe.

Mine was made like Ken's personal one, with vertical layered solid cherry wood. At least this is confirmed. The inside was cut with small space for the motor, because there were some rumours the Shindo plinth was build this way. Maybe there are different versions, but I have to admit, I'm very satisfied with the sound. It has a high mass and still doesn't sound overdamped at all.

Last edited:

Agrail

Nov 26, 2019
Shindo internal (Apologies for the poor shot.) DSC_0499.jpg ssssh.jpg

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Thanks for sharing, Audio Grail. That plinth could be possibly made from solid wood.

Agrail

Nov 26, 2019
Cherry is revered in Japan, Europian Cherry is quite different really neither are particularly noted for their intrinsic damping but the tone is quite nice. The plinth below was a trial solid Cherry plinth with very very close cut outs

FBF8C56E-ACF6-4F7A-9608-F45A838D1905_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: Walter66

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes it's a Shindo Plinth--the ribbing in the insert appears to be layered"Multiplex"?
But possibly Router scoring "if" solid wood.

BruceD
Shin4RET.jpg

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Thank you, Bruce.
Shindo Laboratory is a brand where the phrase "Specifications are subject to change without notice" has deeper-than-average meaning.
They have changed the design over decades from time to time. Just from looking on the outside thats noticable.
In the end, if the dimensions are correct, the wood is fine and the bronze base for the tonearm is there, the sound will be very good.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing